Fish flashing, head twitching but no visible signs. What to do? :-[

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello everyone, I noticed that my ram and a few neons are flashing. Not very frequently but when they do flash they flash like 2-3 times before starting swimming normally. I also noticed the ram (introduced 2 weeks ago) twitching and sometimes having its tail clamped. I dosed with seachem paraguard as it is mild and won't harm filter and plants but I don't know what to do. I don't think that it is ICH because there are no visible white spots and the temperature is high in my aquarium (81F). Could it be a just pH swing? I hope it's nothing serious :-[

The tank is a 32g moderately planted with 1 angelfish, 2 male mollies, 3 cories, 10 neon tetras, 10 harlequin rasboras and a female GBR. I live in europe so many well-known meds are not to be found here so I will tell you the brands I can find. Seachem, Tetra, Sera, JBL, Waterlife and Melafix. I run out of ParaGuard and I was thinking about Cupramine. Will Cupramine be safe for cories, the plants and the filter? Thanks

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
did you have a PH swing? how big and any idea why?

watch there poop and see if it looks white and stringy. that with flashing will indicate internal parasites. also sometime fish with internal parasites wont eat, so make sure there all eating. i have treated a entire tank with tetra para guard. no fish died during the meds and all seem better now.

if your just seeing this behavior i would wait a couple days and see if it changes. adding a new fish makes me think its ich so still keep your eyes open for it. i would still keep the water extra clean for them in either case with daily water changes.

good luck and keep us posted.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It could be a ph swing because I did a 30% water change on Friday and my tap water is 7.5-8 and I I use peat in my filter and have some driftwood in my tank so I assume the ph is slightly lower. I also think that there's excessive slime coat. I have seen them poop and they are fine and all fish are active and eat normally. Seachem paraguard would be really expensive to use because I will need 15ml daily compared to Seachem cupramine's 3ml daily dosage.

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i dont think you need the paraguard, it treats external parasitic but not internal. if you see ich use the heat method to get rid of it.

what is the ph in your tank? you should check ph in your tank before and after a water change so you know how much of a swing your causing. i currently have a tank that lowers the PH form my tap at 7.8 down to 6.8 so all i can do is a 5g water change and that will even raise my ph from 6.8 to 7.2 so a 30% is out of the question for me.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I tested the water today. Both tap and tank water have a pH of 7.5
Parameters are fine. I increased the temperature to 82F just in case it's ich I am dealing with. What medication should I get? ParaGuard or Cupramine? I don't plan on getting a test kit for the cupramine because I am on a budget and it's very expensive here.

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
if it is ich all you need to do is use heat and gravel vacs. here is a link for the full instructions...

https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/curing-ich-naturally.105665/

if you havnt seen ich after a few days. if there still rubbing and you are seeing white stringy poop then you can teat for internal parasites. i have used tetra parasite guard once with no problems and good results. there are other meds for internal parasites but i have not used them yet. they are...

PraziPro

or
metro

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I can confirm that they don't have white stringy poop. I think they have excessive slime coat and they are still flashing, not much but every now and then.

Thanks for your help I can't find those meds in Europe.
That's why I am asking about Seachem Paraguard and Cupramine

bankruptjojo

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
neofyt05 said:
I can confirm that they don't have white stringy poop. I think they have excessive slime coat and they are still flashing, not much but every now and then.

Thanks for your help I can't find those meds in Europe.
That's why I am asking about Seachem Paraguard and Cupramine
i have never used the meds your using so someone else will have to help. im not sure what else it could be if not ich or internal parasites. let us know if anything changes.

here is the other meds i was talking about. maybe you can find this one. but only if its for sure internal parasites.

neofyt05

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The tetras would hide and would not school, the cories would sleep near the surface the ram had clamped fins. I realised that it had to be gill/skin flukes and I found (JBL gyrodol 2) a praziquantel-based med like prazipro and the one you suggested and I can say that after 6 hours of treatment all fish show significant improvement.
I will let you know for sure tomorrow if there are no symptoms so that other people facing the same situation save their money, their time and their fish.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom