Fish Flakes - Do They Spoil, Go Bad ?

Bob_STL
I acquired a 4 inch can of Omega Fish Flakes (opened), which are likely 2-3 years old. Can I still use these ? I'm trying to keep my Hobby Budget inline. Thank you.

goldface
Toss it out. Flakes should be used within 6 months, after opening. Luckily, fish foods are relatively cheap.

ystrout
I wouldn't use it if it's a couple years old.

Just buy the .42oz can of flakes and it's like $3-4.

Bob_STL
Thanks guys - I'm a newbie, and I'm soo glad I found this awesome forum.
I anticipated the answer would be " toss it out " - but food & chemical / additives are so expensive.
BUT - it's best Not to be "Penny wise, Pound foolish" !! Thank you.

kmbeck
They are most likely not harmful to your fish, but the nutritional value degrades over time.

adh/smile
I have a little bottle of Betta Min fish flakes that I think is 4 years old and I still use it. I haven't notices anything bad about using the old food. They may be a little stale compared to what they used to be, but their color hasn't faded and my fish love them.

wodesorel
It will loose a lot of vitamins and minerals over time. I have always gone by the 6 month guideline as well.

What I do to save money is freeze the main bottle and then decant a small amount that'll last a few months to a separate jar to keep at the tank. Once frozen it'll last for years!

Cichlidude
I bought some Clichlid flakes 2 years ago and the bottom of the can says they expire in 10/2020. I figure it can go longer than that.

wodesorel
The problem is exposure to air - those expiration dates are for factory sealed packages. Once opened, air and moisture gets in, which starts the oxidation process of vitamins and minerals, and the rancidity of fats and oils. We aren't eating the fish food to know when it's gone bad by taste, and we can't tell how it's holding up just by looking at it. It's a few bucks twice a year to pick up fresh and make sure the fish are getting the best possible nutrition for their entire lives. It's just as important as water quality!

Blueskies
The flakes would lose minerals and vitamins so you should probably throw it out

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Presidenchill
Replies
Views
LyndaB
Replies
Views