Fish Fighting

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Tristen, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Tristen

Tristen New Member Member

I have a 15 gallon tank with 6 small fish in them. One of my fish is a blue neon dwarf gourami. He was being attacked by my other fish that was a Molly. I moved the Molly out of the tank and now my Gourami is being attacked by a Pineapple Platy I have. I have more tanks except they are not cycled or ready for a fish. What should I do cause I don’t want my fish to keep getting attacked and hurt, but I don’t know if he can live in conditions that are not ready for him.

2. endlercollector

endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Sorry to hear your fish aren't getting along. I wouldn't generally keep a DG with livebearers just because they have such different water needs (soft and acidic versus hard, alkaline). Could you get your DG set up in his own 10-gallon and keep the livebearers in the 15 gallon?

3. OP
    OP
    Tristen

I could do that but I don’t have a tank cycled for the DG. I’m worried if I move him out he will get sick from the water not being ready.

4. endlercollector

If you have some well-aged media with bb living in it in the filter on the 15 gallon, you could stuff a bunch of that into a filter on a 10 for an instant cycle.

5. OP
    OP
    Tristen

That’s a little hard for me to udnerstand sorry. Could you try explaining it better

6. endlercollector

If you have some kind of bio bag, floss, sponge, or filter pad that has been sitting in the filter for a month or more, beneficial bacteria will be living in it as well as on the walls of the filter. So if you stuff this material into another filter, you will transfer some beneficial bacteria as well. Given enough fish waste in the new tank, and they'll grow and colonize the rest of the 2nd filter, as well.

7. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

This has worked for me many times but I also add bottled beneficial bacteria to the filter at the same time. It may not be necessary but can’t hurt and always works.

8. OP
    OP
    Tristen

So if I add the pad as well as some bottled bacteria I will be safe to but the fish in the water right away

9. Hunter1

Hunter1 Well Known Member Member

Yes.

But don’t remove the whole pad or the other tank will lose it’s cycle.

If it was me, I would cut the pad in 1/2, put new pad/cartridge in old tank and 1/2 in new on the upstream side of the water flow so the beneficial bacteria will flow into the new filter media.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice