Fish eyes question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JoannaB, Jan 7, 2013.

1. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

I am not sure where to post this. Moderators feel free to move it to appropriate sub forum.

My seven year old wants to know whether fish could use one eye to look forward or up while looking back or down with the other eye. And if the answer is that some fish can but others can't, we want to know which fish can.

Thank you!

2. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Some fish can, some fish can't. Form follows function, so you can get an idea by examining the eyes. The more binocular their vision (forward facing eyes) the less likely they can move them independently. Many fish have their eyes on the side of the head though, which means that they do not have binocular vision. Like a flat screen TV, they have a wide viewing angle for each eye which allows them to have a wider field of vision, though they have a hole directly in front of them. Fish that have this "split vision" are able to move their eyes independently.

3. oscardudeValued MemberMember

My oscar can move his eyes independantly. Whats weird to me is how some fish can blink their eyes like my cories and pleco and some cant like my oscar.

4. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I thought most didn't have eyelids!

5. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

"Most" is the operative word ;)

6. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Generally prey species have eyes on the sides of their heads (think rabbits and deer) so that they can have the widest-range view possible to keep a lookout for predators, while predators (think wolves and lions) have more telescopic vision so they can see prey more clearly. :)

7. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

And judge distance to said prey. ;)

8. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Telescopic is seeing clearly from far away - binocular is the eyes working together, which is needed for depth perception. Both are important for predators.

9. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

From what I read the cories "blinking" is not like ours. They don't close eyelids, but rather they roll their eyes to point inside their head.

10. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

The eyes of tuna are flush with the body, so that the fish is perfectly streamlined from nose to tail. If you were to rub your hand over it's eye, you would not feel any difference from the head/body.

Random fish eye fact

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice