Fish expert needed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fishcrazy99, Jul 11, 2015.

1. f

fishcrazy99 Well Known Member Member

Hi does anyone know of or is an expert in freshwater aquatics? Like with some type of degree such as a marine biologist? I need to get into contact with someone to answer some questions that is degreed in the subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    f

Personally i trust your advice but its my friend that wouldnt. You see, im trying to get some clear definitive answers to prove that he is wrong. Unfortunately he wont believe anyone without a degree and maybe not even then. Out of curiosity how much and how often do you change your water on your tanks? I know he wont listen but oh well

3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

So your friend believes that doing water changes is unnecessary?

4. t

the planted guy Valued Member Member

water changes are necessary. otherwise the water parameter swould be unstable, you would also have added many bacteria to your life list and you wouldn't be happy

P.S.
    I minored in water quality

5. Tolak

Tolak Well Known Member Member

I'd take the advice of someone with decades of experience before someone fresh out of school with a degree. A degree shows that you test well, a professional is someone who can put a roof over their head & food on the table at a certain trade or profession. An expert is someone who the professionals go to when they have an issue.

Anyone who's an expert won't be bothered with your pal's water change query, it's pretty much common knowledge that when in doubt change water. If he wants to wait until Monday have him give Steve at Angels Plus a call;  

Water changes depend on the tank, the stocking, plants or not, filtration, and what you're trying to accomplish. With 30 tanks some I'll do 50% daily, other will sit for weeks with a fan blowing across the surface to increase evaporation. I guess I'd be considered semi pro; I make some decent money at it, but not enough to quit the day job, yet.

6. BDpups

BDpups Well Known Member Member

At least 50% once a week. No matter the size, the stock, if it is planted or not. Why do I do this? Because it is what works for me and my fish. I have a degree, but not in Marine Biology, or anything related to fish.

7. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I know several people with degrees and experience. One is the director of a fish hatchery in Ohio, a couple are chemical engineers, and another was the veterinarian for a major fish farm in Florida before she went to take charge of the aquaculture department at the University of Florida.

They will all tell you that water changes are beneficial to the health of the fish for a number of reasons. The amount and frequency can vary depending on a number of factors. I would not make a recommendation without details on the tank and inhabitants.

8. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

The owner of the LFS I typically go to (Absolutely Fish, Clifton, NJ) has a degree in Zoology and a Master of Science degree specializing in fish reproduction. Prior to opening his store 15 years ago, he taught and lectured at various public aquariums and zoos. His store is staffed by 4 full-timers with degrees in Marine Sciences or Freshwater Fisheries Management, 3 full-timers with at least six years experience in aquarium keeping and husbandry, and about 12 part-timers, mostly students studying biology or the aquatic sciences.

The information I've received from the employees at that store has all been in line with what is generally advised on this and other fish keeping forums. Also, the store's website has an educational blog, one of which is about aquarium maintenance.   I don't know what degree(s) that particular author has, but it is obviously endorsed by the store, whose owner and employees are very well-educated and experienced in the marine sciences and fish keeping.

9. OP
    OP
    f

Thank you for all your responses! Unfortunately he wont listen to any article i show online, he reads what he wants to see and then ignores the rest. I think i will need to email a degreed individual for him to believe me or i will need to get one on the phone to talk to him. I just dont know if anyone has that time of day though, i expect him to argue. I will look into some of the places you guys mentioned, thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice