Fish Erratically Swimming in a Circle and won't eat. Parasites??

• Thread starter littlemew4
  • Start date

littlemew4

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 29 gallon
How long has the tank been running? since like june of last year
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What is the water temperature? 81
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 5 Harlequins, 3 skirt tetras, and a kuhli loach (I know I need more skirts and kuhlis I just haven't able to because I can't drive and corona virus.) and a heck ton of Ramshorn snails
Maintenance
How often do you change the water? every 2 weeks
How much of the water do you change? 25%-50%
What do you use to treat your water? Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? I hover above it but I have sand sooo

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? api master test kit
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 7.2

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? twice daily
How much do you feed your fish? a pinch?
What brand of food do you feed your fish? omega one fresh water flakes and new life spectrum optimum flakes
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? no

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 8-12 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? yesterday
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? lack of appetite, won't stop swimming around in a circle erratically, slightly pale and reddish gills.
Have you started any treatment for the illness? Only aquarium salt.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? No
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? Like I said won't stop swimming erratically, somewhat pale, and reddish gills

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
I was doing a water change yesterday and I noticed that one of my Harlequins was swimming really weirdly and getting stuck in my plants. I took her out and put her in a quarantine tank. She's a little pale, seems to have reddish gills and won't stop swimming around in a circle. She doesn't even seem to notice food. I've been somewhat busy so I haven't been able to watch my fish very much so I don't know how long she's been like this.

I'm pretty sure it's some sort of internal parasite but I'm not sure. I've been doing researching and the things that I could maybe possibly see being it are some sort of internal parasites, ammonia burn, (highly unlikely unless my test kit isn't accurate although I'm almost starting to wonder if it is) or Mycobacteriosis????? I'm guessing no matter what I'll end up having to treat the entire tank and somehow move out the Kuhli Loach or find meds it's okay with. They're currently in a 1 gallon with a filter. It has no heater but I don't have an ac so it's still 81F. About to check parameters and probably do a water change on it.
DSC_0663.JPG DSC_0675.JPG

I don't know if it would be related in anyway but another one of my harlequins seems to have like a bubble with some blood in it. I'll probably make a question thingy on that too. I'm wondering if it's gas bubble disease? Despite having the bubble they're acting pretty normal
1597466649105.JPEG
(sorry about the weird colouring of the photo.)

I may sleep soon since I had a pretty late night from all of this yesterday and I'm exhausted so apologies if I disappear.
Oh I forgot to mention I do have Furan 2, Metro + and Jungle fungus clear. Would any of those help or should I try to get something else?

littlemew4

bump

MsFancyFish

Is the fish chasing it’s own tail around erratically? My first thought was whirling disease even though thats pretty rare but in the picture the blackened tail is another symptom of the advancing stages of that disease. Yes it is a parasite and unfortunately it’s very very hard to treat especially in advanced stages. If the fish isn’t newly brought in oand you haven’t been feeding live tubifex worms then I’m not really sure how this could be a possibility but I just thought I’d mention it. If that is what it is though if the fish isn’t dead already I’d probably just euthanize it ubfortunatly

Top Bottom