Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Fish Emergency Template

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Fanatic, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

If you have a sick fish that needs help, then please use this emergency template by answering the questions in each segment.

These questions were specifically designed to make it easier for us to help you with your fish. Copy the template and paste it into a new thread, and put your answers in plain text after each question.

Please begin copying the guide starting at the tank section below, and stop after the prompt for the detailed explanation paragraph at the foot of the template. Please answer all questions to the best of your ability. Also, please be sure to type your answers in standard text, (not bold, or italics), so when others are reading they will be able to easily distinguish your answers from the text of the template. Providing full and clear information in a way that is easy for others to understand is the best way to help us help you.

Note: Please create a new thread for your sick fish, do not post directly here for help.
    These questions were all designed to help us figure out the problem with your fish, and it is crucial that you answer all of them, but please specify if you are unable to list the water parameters.

Copy the template starting below the dotted line, and stop at the top of the line at the bottom of this template.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    How long has the tank been running?
    Does it have a filter?
    Does it have a heater?
    What is the water temperature?
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    How much of the water do you change?
    What do you use to treat your water?
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
    What do you use to test the water?
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia:
    Nitrite:
    Nitrate:
    pH:

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?
    How much do you feed your fish?
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
    Have you started any treatment for the illness?
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If you are not aware of what the aquarium nitrogen cycle is, then please read about it here!
    Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle
    Important - Important Cycling Information

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  2. WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Great! But should be a template for EVERY sick fish question.

3. BettaMaxx Valued Member Member

I wish there was a way to pin this on the front page or something.

4. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I made this with @Mike's approval for a sticky.

5. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

This is great, thanks for putting it together! But I also agree that it would be beneficial as a template for ANY sick fish. Not just bettas. :)

6. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I understand, but this one is specifically designed for bettas, but that'd be great if we could have a template for general fish.

7. bizaliz3 Fishlore Legend Member

You may have designed it with bettas in mind....but every single one of those questions you included would be beneficial for any sick fish in my opinion. I would want to know all those answers regardless what kind of fish was in question. :)

If you were to put together a template for a fish other than a betta, what would you remove or add to that template? Genuinely curious!! :)

8. WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Maybe use the word fish instead of Betta? Or “water-baby” to cover everything. Haha. I’m also curious of what would change if it were generalized.
    Great template though, you did a thorough job!

9. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

It's now updated, and can apply to any fish.

10. WTFish? Well Known Member Member

This is awesome...I hope you didn’t think some of us were too critical. I just wish everyone would use this for all illnesses/fish. Nice work and thanks for putting it together!

11. smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

What brand of food??? I dont get how brand helps to diagnose whats wrong with someones fish or how its important.

12. WTFish? Well Known Member Member

It does help, some foods aren’t as great as others or may be known to cause problems. As a consensus it can possibly help with what not to feed...or plead the 5th if you do not want to tell.

13. bryangar Well Known Member Member

lol

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  14. Aqua Hands Well Known Member Member

Thanks!

15. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I have updated the template, a new question was added to the top of the last section on the template.

16. BettaNovice101 Valued Member Member

I love the template. Now that you generalized the fish, though from just Betta, a question needs to be asked as to the stock -- betta, chiclid, shrimp, etc. etc. And then ask if there are other types in the aquarium. Agreed?

17. Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

I am always wanting to hear back from other members, as it really helps me develop this to be as descriptive as possible.
    Your suggestions were put into the template, and I also added a guide to the aquarium nitrogen cycle at the footer of the template.

18. richie.p Well Known Member Member

Well it payed of for one I answered today along with others the information put on the form was useful from the start it stopped everyone asking those questions and dragging things out, all the answers were stright to the point. So it's working and like all things new you listened to constructive criticism and altered where necessary
    Great job @Fanatic

19. ValerieAdams Fishlore VIP Member

@Mike could we possibly get this moved to "Freshwater Fish Disease"? It's somewhat hard to find here (I never think betta fish, I think sick fish) and I think more people may use it if it was in that sub forum.

20. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Mike has already added it as an announcement with link when you go to post a new thread it’s at the top of the page