Fish Eating Turtle

1. m

matija Member Member

i have pond 7 meters by 5 meters by 1,5 meters deep and i put in there prussian carp, black bullhead catfish and mosquito fish . my proplem is that mosquito fish and black bullheads are breeding so much they have stunt problem. my question if i put put red eared slider in pond(of course i will fence the pond so sliders cant escape) will they eat bullhead catfish and mosquito fish(of course that wont be their only diet because i wil feed them worms and insects and vegetables not oly them but whole pond)
    ps :here black bullhead is invasive species so nothing eats it i hope that red eared slider would eat them.

2. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I'd honestly shoot for a couple snapping turtles. Red eared sliders may eat the mosquito fish but I do not think the bullheads will get eaten, too many spines for a little turtle. How large is the average bullhead? It wouldn't be a terrible idea to catch a good number of them and cull them, and by cull I mean eat them. They are delicious when breaded and deep fried.

3. OP
    OP
    m

matija Member Member

i dont need them to eat full grown i will eat them .i need them to eat 3 -6 inches bullheads

4. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I’ve never known a red eared slider to eat larger healthy fish. Most the time they will go after dead/ill fish, plant matter, crayfish, tadpoles and frogs, all of which are easier to catch than a healthy bullhead. I wouldn't count on them controlling the population.

Cant think of any other critters/fish that will eat them either. Perhaps a bowfin, pike or other predatory fish might. Then again the spines are good at deterring predetory fish.

5. OP
    OP
    m

matija Member Member

If they can cacth two pound channel catfish then they can catch small slow juvenale bullhead i think