Help Fish Eating Pleco Food

L1995

Reaction score
I have a bristle nose pleco housed with tiger barbs and whenever I try to feed the pleco an algae wafer the tiger barbs just eat it, all of them peck at it and it’s gone with in a couple of minutes.
I’ve tried putting it in after the lights have gone off but it makes no difference.
I’ve been feeding it cucumber, to make sure that it’s not hungry but surely just cucumber can’t be good for it?
I feed my tiger barbs gel food so it might be getting abit of that.
Is there anything I can buy that only the pleco could get into to get the algae wafer?

Sprinkle

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's normal for fish to chomp on pleco food.
My fish also go for pleco food as well so I give of couple of algae wafers and my plecos and cherry shrimp have a chance to gobble on them.

CHJ

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Night feeding?

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
You may want to offer your pleco zucchini. From what I have been able to find the zucchinI has more to it than cucumber. This is what I mean.....

Zucchini is richer in vitamin B and vitamin C as compared to cucumbers. Both vegetables have relatively equal amounts of calcium but zucchini is richer than cucumbers in potassium and iron. Zucchini also has a higher amount of protein and fiber.

You could also stuff an algae wafer or occasionally shrimp pellets inside the cucumber or zucchinI and hopefully your little guy will get some of it.

New Threads