Fish Eating My Plants?!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Gabrielle BK, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Gabrielle BK

Gabrielle BKValued MemberMember

Hi everyone!

So I've had my 5 gallon tank for about 4 months now and have 2 African dwarf frogs and 2 female guppies. Everything is fine in my tank except for my plants. They are green mondo grass from PetSmart and have been shredded by my fish and frogs. I am not too concerned as the plants were really for my fish anyways so don't mind if I have to buy new ones, but would like to know why they are doing this so I don't have to buy a whole bunch of plants. I also have moneywort and they are doing fine.

I have posted a picture so if anyone has any tips of what is going on and how to maybe stop this. Also let me know if they look dead and if they will every grow back again. The first two pictures of are my plants right now, and the bottom is what they looked like a month ago.

Thanks!
    unnamed.jpg
    unnamed-1.jpg
    unnamed-2.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Tyler Fishman

Tyler FishmanValued MemberMember

it may be melting, what is your temperature, also mondo grass is not a true aquatic plant, it dies submerged after a while

3. OP
    OP
    Gabrielle BK

My temperature is 74, so even a little colder than I want. Oh really?? How long does it normally survive?

4. Dolfan

DolfanFishlore VIPMember

Too my knowledge, mondo grass is not truly aquatic, and needs to be grown emerged with roots in water. This is very common for the big box stores to sell stuff like this and not inform people. Here's a link from plantedtank with discussion about it...

friendly reminder to do your research before you buy anything.

5. OP
    OP
    Gabrielle BK

Oh that sucks. They were in the regular submerged plant container and no one told me they weren't good to keep submerged. Again, do you know how long they should live if they are under water??

6. AngelTheGypsy

AngelTheGypsyFishlore VIPMember

I bought 2 not knowing either. They were submerged in the plant tank. They started deteriorating after a week. Today I found some dry at lowes in the garden center, it's a grass often used to edge flower gardens. I should have known as I have at least 200(probably more) feet of it lining the flower beds at my house

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice