Fish eating all the food!

zca114

I have a beautiful Golden Wonder killifish that is constantly skimming the top of the water, he is very rarely below the first couple inches. My problem is he is too fast at feeding time! His mouth is perfect for gobbling up all the pellets he finds, and in most cases gets to them before the other fish. I try hiding them in floating plants, but even then he finds them every once in a while. All my other fish seem to prefer the middle or bottom of the tank. I don't want to overfeed him and have him die. Any suggestions?? Thanks!

CoconutTheBetta

I have a beautiful Golden Wonder killifish that is constantly skimming the top of the water, he is very rarely below the first couple inches. My problem is he is too fast at feeding time! His mouth is perfect for gobbling up all the pellets he finds, and in most cases gets to them before the other fish. I try hiding them in floating plants, but even then he finds them every once in a while. All my other fish seem to prefer the middle or bottom of the tank. I don't want to overfeed him and have him die. Any suggestions?? Thanks!
Depending on how many other fish are in the tank, you could hand feed them with tweezers. Since your killifish stays at the top, maybe try a sinking food? Or you could try live food like brine shrimp; there'll be plenty scattered around for everyone to get the opportunity to eat.

Dunk2

Not sure how large your tank is, but have you tried feeding both sides of the tank?

So put a pellet in to get his attention, then drop one on the other side. If you have sinking pellets, Golden Wonders often can’t pick food up once it sinks to the bottom (mine can’t). If that doesn’t work, try placing the pellets on the bottom.

And you have a lid on your tank? Golden Wonders are great jumpers.

Noroomforshoe

I have had fish like this. What I do is hold the pinch of food under water, most types will sink and spread out, and you can help it spread out by releasing it through the entire length of the tank. Even the piggiest fish can not get it all. But if you have other top dwellers like Hatchet fish or Halfbeaks, it may not be a mix of fish.

darkcat

Sometimes, I need to keep my betta in the breeder box, to stop eating so much. But it stresses him out, so I like to do it only a little.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
Onlyashes
Replies
Views
Benfreshwater
Replies