Fish dying

buddybetta

I have a fully cycled 10 gal heated tank with 2 african dwarf frogs, male betta, and (now) 2 endler’s livebearers. Just a few weeks ago I had about 6 livebearers in that tank. They have slowly been disappearing. I haven’t found some of the bodies still but those that I did find, were missing their stomachs like something took a big bite out of them. It was just the belly missing, and the bite was always the same shape. Just the stomach, nothing else. Could it be the frogs having a late night snack while the fish are sleeping? I feed them sinking frog pellets and hand feed bloodworms a couple times a week. I do 40% water changes once a week. My parameters are all stable. Ammonia - 0, nitrite - 0, nitrate - 10-15, pH - 7.0, temperature - 78.

Crimson_687

Well Known
Is your betta aggressive? It could be him too. Were the endlers showing any signs of sickness? Lethargy, flashing, wasting, not eating, swelling, gasping, improper swimming, white/clear stringy poo, inflammation, etc? If the fish died on its own it will be eaten by your other inhabitants.

Kjeldsen

Well Known
The frogs have no teeth or tongue, so can't really take a 'bite' of anything, dead or alive. I don't wanna point any fingers but my money's on a post-mortem betta bite.

FishBoy101

Well Known
Kjeldsen said:
The frogs have no teeth or tongue, so can't really take a 'bite' of anything, dead or alive. I don't wanna point any fingers but my money's on a post-mortem betta bite.
Definitely. Images OP?

!poogs!

Well Known
When fish die, the other fish become scavengers. Fish are like humans, that when they die, decomposition starts immediately. Decomposition in tropical water is accelerated. Like humans fish decomposition starts in the abdomen where the fish’s digestive juices turn on the fish and start digesting and decomposing the fish. The next to go is other soft tissue, like the eyes and gills. Soft tissue is easy for other fish in the tank to remove and consume. It is not uncommon when a fish dies over night in a busy tank, the abdomen and eyes are the first to go.

OP
buddybetta

buddybetta

Crimson_687 said:
Is your betta aggressive? It could be him too. Were the endlers showing any signs of sickness? Lethargy, flashing, wasting, not eating, swelling, gasping, improper swimming, white/clear stringy poo, inflammation, etc? If the fish died on its own it will be eaten by your other inhabitants.
The betta isn’t aggressive from what I’ve seen. He’s been with harlequin rasboras, endler’s livebearers, and otos his whole life and never acknowledged their existence.
The endlers were eating like usual. Nothing out of the ordinary and swam around quite actively.

OP
buddybetta

buddybetta

FishBoy101 said:
Definitely. Images OP?
I didn’t even think of taking any pictures. I should’ve though because they started disappearing one by one. I have 7 tanks and this hasn’t happened to me before.

!poogs!

Well Known
buddybetta said:
I didn’t even think of taking any pictures. I should’ve though because they started disappearing one by one. I have 7 tanks and this hasn’t happened to me before.
weird things happen in tanks sometimes without any known cause. About a year back I had a guppy a day die for no good reason in a community tank. Lost 5 in 5 days. Showed no sign of being sick, not one other type of fish died. And then everything was back to normal as quick as it hit it left. No clue.

New Threads