Fish Dying 55 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ejcsw, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Ejcsw

EjcswValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Hi have a question. I USED MY API KIT. As you can see my ph is 6.0. According to my book angels like 6.5 to 6.8. I talked with the store they said 6.0 is fine. That is what there tanks are set at and the same is said for other stores in my city. No my nitrate s are off alittle too. No matter what I try I can not get the ph up. System is a fluval 305 but retrofitted it like a video on you tube. Light is a white. With blue and a few reds leds. No plants or wood. Just 2 angels, 2 mollies ( had 6 but they have neen dying). 1 Chinese algae eater. He would chase the mollies all the time. Now today my angels did not eat. Neither one. Temp is in the upper green on a floating thermometer. Ideas anyone????

2. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +499
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The pH is fine if that's what angel's prefer. It is a little low for mollies who like hard water but some people still can keep them on softer water.
    Your Chinese Algae Eater is an issue. They can be aggressive and after they're babies, they eat less algae and more of your other fish's slime coats, which can kill them.
    There's nothing wrong with your nitrates.

3. OP
    OP
    Ejcsw

EjcswValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Is there something I can do so the algea eater is not so aggressive. I got two at a fish auction. The other got chaaed before the mollies. Are there better fish to pair my angels with? Water quality?

4. CheshireKat

CheshireKatWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +499
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Two what, mollies or CAE?

I'm not sure. Many hobbyists just stay away from them and don't bother with them. I had one and it was the opposite of its reputation; not aggressive at all. Then I got convict cichlids and eventually he got eaten.
    Normally I'd suggest lots of plants, whether real or fake, to break line of sight, and hide outs and stuff, but with CAE I'm not sure that'd work. Maybe make sure they're well-fed as well?
    How big is your tank? 55 gallons?

5. OP
    OP
    Ejcsw

EjcswValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +12
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    CAE ps he was found dead today. So now I have 2 mollies and 2 angels. I like the idea of a planted tank but like those with substrate are had to clean