Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Fish Dying Important

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Buradimari, Apr 17, 2019.

1. BuradimariValued MemberMember

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? 55 gallons
    How long has the tank been running? About 6 years
    Does it have a filter? Yes
    Does it have a heater? Yes
    What is the water temperature? Can't tell. Thermometer isn't saying.
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? 2 goldfish/koi type fish (both killed last night by the disease), 2 powder blue gourami (1 was killed last night by the disease), 2 green corydoras (both symptomatic), 1 albino corycory (symptomatic), 1 glass catfish, 4 neon tetra, 1 Angelfish, 1 pleco (listless and slimy on one side, dry on the other).

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? Weekly usually
    How much of the water do you change? 10%
    What do you use to treat your water? TopFin pH Increase, TopFin Bacteria Supplement, and TopFin Water Conditioner.
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? Substrate

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? Yes
    What do you use to test the water? I take it to PetSmart.
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

I haven't had it tested since I started the water treatments recommended to me by PetSmart. That was a year or two ago. I don't have the results.

Ammonia: unknown
    Nitrite: unknown
    Nitrate: unknown
    pH: unknown

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? Daily
    How much do you feed your fish? As much as they eat in a short period of time like the container says.
    What brand of food do you feed your fish? Any brand. At the moment, Tetra pellets alternating with Wardley flakes.
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? Yes, frozen shrimp from PetSmart.

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? The oldest (neon tetras) 4 years. The newest (the goldfish or koi I got from PetSmart) 1 month.
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? Last night.
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? Bleeding through mouth and gills. Red ulcers on two pale fish.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? No, other than quarantine.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? Not visibly.
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? The corydoras are panicking and the pleco is listless. No behavior change noticed in the fish that died or any of the asymptomatic fish.

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)
    Last night, my son told me a fish was dead. I was surprised because none of them were acting sick. I came out and netted the floating dead fish, a normally silver-white goldfish/koi now covered with bruises and red streaks and bleeding from the gills and mouth and two red ulcers on its head. I put it in a plastic sealable bag, which I usually do when a fish dies, then inspected it. I became worried and read about all sorts of diseases and injuries to affect carps. All of the other fish were acting fine. This morning, I was told two more fish were dead, so I went back to the tank. First, I netted the other goldfish/koi that was normally silver with a smoky gray crown, but now dark all over, with red streaks and bleeding gills and mouth. I placed it in the same plastic bag. Next, I netted a powder blue gourami that had turned almost black and was bleeding from its gills and mouth. I put it in the same bag. I began setting up quarantine containers (I haven't gotten a quarantine tank yet). I began netting the living fish and putting them in containers based on symptoms. The 3 corydoras are together. They have been panicking since I got up. All three are bleeding from their gills. The albino corydora also has a bright red ulcer and is bleeding from its mouth and belly as well. Its whole body is turning red. The pleco is by itself because it's not bleeding, but is very listless. We usually have a very hard time catching it, but I netted it easily. The other fish are asymptomatic and acting normally except that none of them are eating.

2. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

3. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Agree with @Skavatar

Always quarantine new fish before adding in an existing established tank (especially if they’re from big chain stores like petsmart)

Never trust big chain stores (like petsmart) to check your water parameters. Most of the time it’s wrong. They use test strips and don’t give accuracy.

Invest in the api master test kit. It’s only $23 on amazon and it will last you years.

I’d change 50% of the water and dose prime. It sounds like your water quality is very poor. Deaths possibly caused by ammonia.

I would suggest 25-30% water changes weekly moving forward as it will help rid of toxicity and replenish lost minerals in the water.

4. BuradimariValued MemberMember

What's Prime? Our PetSmart doesn't sell any fish medicine or supplements. The only testing product they have is strips. They don't have much fish stuff here.

5. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Seachem prime dechlorinates chlorine/chloramine and detoxifies ammonia/nitrite/nitrate in the tank to make it safe for fish until your beneficial bacteria catches up with it to remove it.

Prime
    https://www.amazon.com/Seachem-1160...534374&s=gateway&sprefix=seachem+peime&sr=8-3

Api master kit
    https://www.amazon.com/API-FRESHWAT...=1555534420&s=gateway&sprefix=api+mast&sr=8-3

Also may I ask why you’re using a ph chemical and bacteria supplement if your tank is established?

6. BuradimariValued MemberMember

Thank you. Anything I can do to save them now?

7. SeasoldierWell Known MemberMember

Hi, sounds like ammonia poisoning as others have said short term treatment, big water changes 75% & treat the replacement water with something like seachem prime & make sure it's temperature matched so as not to shock the fish even more, but the damage is probably already done & I suspect your fish will not survive, sorry.

8. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Massive water change ASAP and see if there’s a local petco near you. They usually carry seachem products. You’re going to need that prime to keep whatever fish you have left healthy or as healthy as they can be until you test your water with the master kit.

9. BuradimariValued MemberMember

We don't have a Petco. We have nothing but PetSmart. We used to have a Pet Supplies Plus, but it closed because all the fish were dying and that's mostly what they sold.

10. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

As long as water changes are constant with dosing prime, they can be saved. They won’t be extremely healthy as you really can’t reverse ammonia damage (to my knowledge anyway) if that’s the cause but they will do much better in a toxic free environment with regular 25-30% water changes once a week.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  11. Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Ammonia poisoning doesn't create lesions, sounds more like aeromonas which can be caused by high nitrates. Gill bleeding and bruising means that it progressed to become bacterial septicemia. I would suggest first ordering a test kit and doing 50-75% water changes till it gets in and you can test the water. Once the water is pristine, infection rate should go down to nothing and many with lesions will start healing. If the lesions are large, you might look to ordering nitrofurazone (Furan-2) to treat them. Bacterial septicemia is treatable if caught early but if they are showing lots of bruising and bleeding from the gills, euthanize them to be humane.

12. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

Poop. Buy it on amazon ASAP and it should be delivered in a couple of days. Please purchase the test kit I linked too. This way we know what we’re working with so we can find the best solution to keep your fish alive and get them healthy again. In the meantime, change 50% to 75% of the water now using the dechlorinator you have on hand. Make sure the temp is matched. Wait 24 hours and check for symptoms. If it’s improved, keep monitoring. If your fish look the same, change a good amount of water again. Keep doing this until you get that test kit in your hands.

13. TheBettaSushiWell Known MemberMember

I’ve seen ammonia burns turn into lesions/open wounds when left untreated. Don’t know about high nitrates causing lesions. However extremely high nitrates could also be a factor. We honestly don’t know what the cause could be until a water test has been done.

14. BuradimariValued MemberMember

Is the blood and probable pain what's causing the corydoras' panic?

15. toosieFishlore VIPMember

Can we get a pic? I'd like to see what this bleeding looks like, if one of the alive fish is displaying these symptoms.

16. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

If you need it quick get some api instant start and stress coat do the regular dosing of stress coat in your new water then right after the change put in half the dosage of your tank worth of quick start make sure to do a water change.

17. ElkwatcherValued MemberMember

I third Skavatar... Old Tank Syndrome. The water can look good but be very bad! I'm curious why you would keep goldfish with tropicals?

18. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

This sounds more like a bacterial infection to me. Aeromonas is quite common among koi. It may very well have been caused by poor water quality but it's going to need good water quality and antibiotics to fix.

19. BuradimariValued MemberMember

I'm pretty new to taking aquariums seriously and the people at the fish section of PetSmart recommend species once I say what I have. They don't have a wide variety of fish. Some are temporarily sold species. They are even new to selling angels and gourami. They used to only have goldfish/koi (they keep them together and can't tell you if you're getting a big goldfish or small koi), neon tetras, corydoras, and plecos. Now they have skirt tetras, stick catfish, and mollies all the time.

20. BuradimariValued MemberMember

I can't get a good picture of them. The bleeding corydoras are in a constant panic and the dead ones my son likes to have immediate funerals for in our backyard.