Fish Dying

Nini24

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi guys,
I have my tank for a year now with guppies and ghost shrimps, everything was going great, I had many babies in the tank, but certainly out of nowhere they all started to die, I really don’t get it. All the levels of the water are good, the only thing I did was changing the filter for aqua clear witch should be a better one.
When I saw the first one dying I changed the water and put a little bit of salt in the new water, but unfortunately they continue dying so I changed it again with this time product for disease but nothing help, I have only one fish left in my tank today
Can you help me find out what happened?

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Since this is an old tank I'm assuming you didn't switch filter media in its entirety for new stuff?
AND assuming that's correct, this is a strange thing to happen. I honestly have no clue, but I'm new to this (only been doing this for a few months)

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Nini24 said:
hi guys,
I have my tank for a year now with guppies and ghost shrimps, everything was going great, I had many babies in the tank, but certainly out of nowhere they all started to die, I really don’t get it. All the levels of the water are good, the only thing I did was changing the filter for aqua clear witch should be a better one.
When I saw the first one dying I changed the water and put a little bit of salt in the new water, but unfortunately they continue dying so I changed it again with this time product for disease but nothing help, I have only one fish left in my tank today
Can you help me find out what happened?
When you switched filters, did you keep the old filter media?

Nini24

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I changed the whole thing, the old one just stopped working one day so I got a new one

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So all the filter stuff inside like cartrage and stuff you replaced? If that's true you lost your cycle and will now have to start over, which is a stressful process for your fish and invertabrates

Edit to add: I'm sorry I just realized your new here and may not know about, or understand the nitrogen cycle. I'm sure someone as we speak are typing to you with an explanation is to what this is and how it works

Nini24

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Really???
I had no idea, and the guy in the store didn’t say anything about that!
I had no idea you can lose the cycle just like that

Nini24

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes of course did it when I first got the tank

And I am checking the levels of the water all the time

I had a happy tank for a year

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok I figured as much as you said it's been running for a year. Yes unfortunately an bb that's in your tank isn't enough to sustain the inhabitants. Majority of bb is in filter

That really sux, just keep up water changes and testings the store won't tell you because even though it's necessary for the survival you fish, they only care about you buying replacement cartrage, or in your case the filter, to make money

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I am truly sorry for your loss

Don't beat yourself up for not knowing. Most of your cycle (bacteria) lives on the filter media. By throwing all of that out you threw away most of your cycle.

It isn't the end of the world though. Some bacteria is still in the tank because it does grow on all the hard surfaces in the tank too so you should be able to get your cycle back to where it was before the filter change pretty quick.

I have a feeling you are going through a mini cycle and since your fish were used to their perfect conditions an ammonia spike was more than they could handle.

At this point I would keep a very close eye on the perimeters and do water changes to keep them under control.

Nini24

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks to everyone you have been so helpful, you are great

Ms rose

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
As I read @ mattgirl post, I hope I didn't come off insensitive, mattgirl just has a way with words to comfort people

DuaneV

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Your beneficial bacteria (nitrogen cycle) live in your filter. When you took the old one out and put in a new one you lost your cycle so you have no BB to convert ammonia and nitrites. You are now doing a fish-in cycle with a full bioload. If you are checking your levels daily, you will see an ammonia spike and that will be the start of your new cycle.

Todays guppies and shrimp are both pretty weak. Any little change can set them off. On top of that, guppies dont live long anyway (a couple years if youre lucky). Removing your BB is the main issue, but having weak fish/invertebrates doesnt help.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom