Fish Dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by PosingOwl, Aug 5, 2017.

1. P

PosingOwl New Member Member

Hi everyone,

I am having a slight problem and I cant figure out why 4 of my fish just recently died. A little over a week ago, my fiance and I received a cycled tank from a friend, it only had a bristlenose pleco in it. A couple days later I bought the API Master Kit and checked the water as well as completed a water change.

2 days ago we went to our local pet store and talked with them about getting 5 glofish. We brought them home and everything was going good. I had to move the fish tank yesterday to another part of the front room, its only a 10 gallon. After I removed the water, and moved it, another water change, a couple hours later our pleco was floating upside down at the bottom of the tank. Personally, I think that could have been my fault, he wasnt eating I believe and all we had were flakes at the time.

Woke up this morning, fiance fed the fish and left for work, nothing out of the ordinary, when I got up, I noticed that 3 of the glofish we dead, 2 stuck to the filter and 1 just floating around.

Could it have been bad fish from the pet store or was it something I did? I have had fish tanks before and I am confident in my ability to keep them, but I am at a loss.

Stats of the tank are:
    PH - 7.4 to 7.6
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate - 20 to 40

Also tested tap water and the Nitrates read about 10 to 20

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

I would be feeding the pleco more than just flakes. Do you have driftwood for it to graze on? They also would appreciate some fresh veggies like slices of zucchini.

When you say you received a cycled tank, did they give you the existing filter media as well? The glofish may have been bad stock. How did you acclimate them?

Would like to note that a 10g is too small to house glofish tetras and a bn pleco. I would look to upgrade to at least a 20g long.

3. OP
    OP
    P

His name was toothless lol. :( No drift wood, been using what came with the tank, a couple decorations and gravel, I had to go buy a heater since they didnt have one with it when we received it. Only had it since monday.

Yeah it was a fiances friend that gave it to us, she didnt want to take care of it anymore. Came with filters, some dechlorinator and some tetra stuff, went out and bought some seachem prime.Tested the water the day after I received it and it looked fine. Acclimated tthe fish by sitting them in the tank and every 10 minutes, I poured a little water from the tank into the bag. Did that for about 30 minutes.

Upgrading is not an option until fiance feels more comfortable with the tank. Trust me I already tried haha. She said give it a couple months. She did see a nice Oscar that she feel in love with, so hopefully that will let me get a 100 gallon soon.

4. OP
    OP
    P

OK, just check the aquarium and the last 2 remaining glofish are dead, is going on, just tested the water about 2 hours ago and everything was normal. Just spend 40 something on these 5 fish to die in 2 days. Fiance will not like this and will play a role in getting a larger one.

5. OP
    OP
    P

Sorry, one is dead, do not know how to edit these post.

6. Heavy Metal Lion

Heavy Metal Lion Valued Member Member

if you still have the fish (i know, it's weird) and bought them from petsmart or petco, they have a 30 day guarentee, so take the dead fish and the receipt up there for a refund (or more fish). they will also want a sample of your water.

i know this is pretty pointless, but i felt like i should share.

either way, i would contact the store you purchased them from and see if they are having any issues/reports of issues with the remaining stock. could've been a bad group, could've been restocking day and they were really stressed.

7. OP
    OP
    P

I believe it was restocking day, she said that they get them on thursday when we went. It is a mom and pop store, the owner was a former customer of mine, hopefully they will help.

8. Heavy Metal Lion

Heavy Metal Lion Valued Member Member

it definitely won't hurt to try. good luck with everything

9. OP
    OP
    P

OK, she replaced 4 of the glofish and said water was fine. She agreed that it could have been from the stress of getting them shipped in then selling them. She said to come back on tuesday and she will retest the water and give me another pleco since ours died when we added the new fish.

10. Dropszecolorlord

Dropszecolorlord Valued Member Member

what % water change?
    also i lost 3 glo fish to stress, which may of done it to yours. try and get fish that are eater were just dropped off from the truck or get them right before the newest shipment so they are a little less stressed than the first day

11. OP
    OP
    P

I am doing around 30 percent water change. The owner of the fish store said that we have high ph here as well as nitrates in the tap water are a little high. Hopefully these guys make it. I feel bad about the other 4 and the last one looks like he isnt doing to well.

12. el337

I suggest not getting any more fish for the moment until you figure out what's going on in your tank. The fish you're getting aren't suitable for a 10g either. Their bioload (especially the pleco) is too much for this tank size.

What are the current water parameters? The pH doesn't matter, as long as it's stable.

13. OP
    OP
    P

Everything is stated in the first post.

Stats of the tank are:
      - 7.4 to 7.6
      - 20 to 40

Also tested tap water and the   read about 10 to 20

Stats are from this afternoon, I am going to check again tomorrow afternoon to see if its changed. I was told that I would be pushing the bioload to the limit but as long as long as I took caution I would be fine, as stated all parameters of the tank is good. Plus I already got the fish this afternoon.

14. el337

I'd test daily to make sure your levels don't rise. Since you're starting off with nitrates at 10-20, they'll only increase especially as the pleco grows. They're very messy fish. I suggest adding more fast growing plants, adding something like pothos (just the roots) to the water will suck up the nitrates. Also adding Nitra Zorb or Seachem Matrix to your filter will also reduce nitrates.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice