Fish dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by finmann, Jul 8, 2015.

1. f

finmann New Member Member

hi,

I have a 30 gallon, liquid carbon, flourish, medium lighting tank..

it cycled properly, and I added 12 cardinals and two gouramis after a month.. they were fine..

later I added 4 mollies, 6 guppies, 6 dinos .. and right after my fishes started dying..

now dead - 4 mollies, 2 guppies, 3 cardinals, 2 dinos ..

I am doing my water changes weekly 30% and giving sparse diet to fish ..

what is wrong?

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

What are your water parameters? What filter are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. bettamars

bettamars Valued Member Member

Did you add all of those fish in the second part at once? If you did, that could've caused a mini cycle. Also, I'm not sure, but it seems overstocked to me, especially since mollies are very poopy creatures. What are you parameters?

Could've also been bad stock though.

4. Dom90

I'm thinking the same thing, tank is overstocked with the mollies in it.

5. OP
    OP
    f

6. Dom90

You really should have your own test kit and not believe the test results of lfs. Adding too many fish at a time can cause ammonia spike.

7. OP
    OP
    f

so what should i do now? water change? filter clean with aquarium water? anything else?

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Until you can post readings for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and pH, it is really difficult to say what is going on with your aquarium. I hate that you are losing fish. I know it isn't easy to stand by and watch them pass especially when we do not know why.

Anytime something seems "off", a good place to start is with a water change and adding Prime water conditioner.

If it is within your means to purchase a test kit, I highly suggest the API (liquid) Master Test Kit. This kit will test for everything that you really need.

Each test can also be purchased separately. If you go this route, I would suggest starting with the Ammonia Test Kit.

Prime Water Conditioner:

Best wishes for your tank and fish and I hope you enjoy the forum. Please keep us posted.

Ken

9. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettas Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fish Lore!!!!

I agree with what the others have said so far, water parameters would be very helpful. Also, I do think it's quite possible that you got an ammonia spike from adding in all those fish at once, especially because mollies and guppies are high waste producers.

Good luck! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice