Fish dying

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ransackedsnake7, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Ransackedsnake7New MemberMember

hi i have been having issues with my 20 gallon aquarium i got it for christmas and it started up perfect before this incident ive only had 1 problem befoe this, i bough a pleco about 2 months ago and it brought ich into my tank, i caught it quick and i used machalite green to treat it ( it killed my school of serpae tetra, no tears shed they were huge bullies:() other than that there have been zero issues, i do have a lot of fish in my tank but i do a lot of maintenance to keep the water clean, i change 15 gallons every week, have an ammonia monitor in my tank, and use bacteria supplement weekly. now on to the problem 2 weeks ago i bought 3 new zebra danios to add to my school of 6, i had just cleaned the tank the day before and the water tested perfect, no ammonia, nitirtes, or nitrates, the next day i find one floating at the top of the tank, no eyes and it was horribly mangled, i wrote it off as a bullying death and moved on. About a week ago the platy that i had for 3 months started acting funny and had clamped fins, i looked it up and diagnosed it as a blocked swim bladder i quarantined it and fed it peas but it still died, yesterday i come home to find another one danio dead, not mangled as bad a the first one but still looked like something got a hold of it. Today i come home to find a swordtail that had been in my tank for 2 weeks dead at the bottom. i noticed that last night that swordatail had been hanging out at the top of my tank. i need someone more experienced to help me figure out what the problem is, i do have a lot of fish but the nitrate never gets above the safe zone on my test strips, even when i test the day before water change day

2. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy LubianetskyWell Known MemberMember

You are not the first to buy those Warning Indicators that stick to the inside of your tank. I bought them too. Then I bought an API test kit. The ammonia tests MUCH higher than it does on those Warning Indicators. Also the indicators seem to indicate that there is a SAFE zone for ammonia. The only safe zone for ammonia is 0. My best guess is that your fish are dying off due to the effects of ammonia / nitrite poissoning.

1) Due a 50-60% water change as soon as you read this. Do the same DAILY until you get a handle on your problem.
    2) Buy an API test kit. It is a must have if you have an aquarium.
    3) Test your water and see what the readings really are.

3. nexigen

nexigenValued MemberMember

I agree with Wendy, it sounds like ammonia/nitrite poisoning. Do your fish have other symptoms such as their fins deteriorating that could have been mistaken as "bullying"? Another great indication, that you would probably notice most easily on the Cory's, is redness around their gills. Cloudy water is also a sign of this. Nitrates is the relatively safe version of the waste process, and can have a safe zone. Nitrite can be just as deadly, so even with 0ppm Ammonia, if your Nitrites are there, it could also explain this.

The tank is quite over-populated as you know, and even with a 75% weekly water change you may still run into severe problems. The bacteria supplement at this point should be unnecessary. In your profile it's been up since January, the cycling process should be completed by now, adding more bacteria shouldn't accomplish anything at this point.

4. Wendy Lubianetsky

Wendy LubianetskyWell Known MemberMember

Even if you started your aquarium in January, with the readings you are getting, I still don't think that it is cycled. But, nexigen is right. Adding that bacteria is just a waste of money, kind of like those monitors are. It is just a gimick. Save your money and put it towards the water bill.... DO WAtER CHANGES EVERYDAY until your readings are 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and under 20-40 nitrates. Make sure you get an API test kit to test your water.

Good Luck

5. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

I am leaning towards some form of ammonia/nitrite poisoning too, but with out knowing the measurements it's hard to say.

Are you able to provide us with more info? Filter? test kit readings?

I know you are using test strips, which are by-and-large indicative, but far from accurate, if you can't get a test kit (i.e API Liquid Master), can your local fish shop (LFS) test your water for you?

BTW - welcome to Fishlore :;hi2

6. OP
    OP
    R

Ransackedsnake7New MemberMember

thanks for the help, i bought an API liquid test kit, the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate were all 0, i took a sample into petsmart and they confirmed. filter is a top fin 20 gallon filter, nothing else seems to be wrong, no signs of fin rot or any other disease ive read about, no red gills on the cories, water is crystal clear i still dont know what the problem is here

7. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Something starnge is going on with your tank. You say it's been set up since Christmas and you have 0ppm ammonia, 0ppm nitrite and 0ppm nitrate.

If you are aware of the nitrogen cycle then you know that fish constantly produce ammonia. In a cycled tank, ammonia is converted into nitrites and nitrites are converted into nitrates. So if your tank were cycled, one would expect to see a nitrate reading. If your tank was not cycled, one would expect to see either an ammonia reading or a nitrite reading. The only time a tank will read 0,0,0 before you put fish in it (assuming your tap water is 0,0,0).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice