Fish Dying within 15 minutes

ro1kman

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently have purchased a 10 gallon tank and I am a beginner. I went through the instructions of cleaning the tank, filtering it and adding the heater. After about 45 min after I completed setting up the tank (added the appropriate dechorlipher) I added 3 Zebra Danio's ( sp?). The PH tested at around 6.5, I do not have a nitrate, ammonia tester...after 5 min All 3 fish started acting a bit crazy and swam to the top of the tank almost like they were gasping for air, the turned upside down and about 10 min later, were dead. Do you have any advice as to why this is happening, since I did follow the directions??? Did I add fish to early?? Did I miss a water chemical to add?? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome to FishLore! It's great to have you with us! It's very possible that the ph level in the tank the fish came from, and the ph level of the water in your tank were drastically different, and the fish couldn't handle it. When acclimating fish to your tank, float the bag for 15 minutes so the water in the bag will adjust to the temperature of the tank water. Then about every 15 minutes after that, add about a tablespoon of tank water into the bag, and do this for an hour or 2. This will allow your fish to slowly adjust to any ph changes without putting them into shock. Before buying any more fish, please read the sticky in this forum called "FishLore Articles for Beginners". You need to fully understand the cycling process to keep your fish alive and healthy. You may want to consider doing a fishless cycle before buying any more new fish. We're glad you're here, and hope you will keep us posted on your progress with your new tank!

ro1kman

Reaction score
Well the Ph is the same in both the tank and the bag. I did float it for about 15 minutes as well, I am reading your beginners forum and found out I had not cycled my tank. However; I thought that the Zebra was a hardy fish and would survive this, and I was surprised at how fast the water had an effect on the fish. Can not waiting for a day or two for the tank to settle do this to fish?

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Ro1kman, here is one very recent thread that addresses many of the questions a beginner would have: , please read it.

Your fish must have died, like Gunnie said, from pH and/or temperature shock. And yes, zebra danios are hardy, but when you put a whole bunch of fish at once into a tank that isn't even cycled yet, they won't make it. If you read the above thread I gave you a link to, you'll see why they die in such a tank.

ro1kman

Reaction score
I used the Tetra- conditioner, the one in the yellow bottle. Not to sure of the full name, it came with my tank. I put some stress zyme into my tank last night and started the feeding-tank approach to starting my cycle. I had my water tested last ngith at my local store and it was high in ammonia, I plan to take a sample Friday and possibly get more danios if the water is safe. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

I am not using a water softener.

Gunnie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't understand why you would have high ammonia if the fish died within 15 minutes. Did you take them out of the tank shortley after they died?

Before getting anymore fish for that tank, I recommend you get an Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master test kit. Copy the page on the PetSmart website that shows the kit and the price, and take it to your local PetSmart. They should honor the online price which will save you about half of what you'd normally pay to buy it locally. I think the online price is about $13.50. Usually, you will find them at your local pet stores for around $30.00. Once you get your kit, please post your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels, and we will go from there.

ro1kman

Reaction score
It wasn't real high, but it is probably because I took the sample a day after I started to feed the tank about every 8-10 hours. So it may have been due to that, I'm going back on friday after work and I will get it tested, and get a kit.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom