Fish Dying? Sos

HobbyJohnny

Valued Member
Messages
64
Reaction score
16
Points
43
Experience
1 year
I’ve been doing this tank build for over a year now, and I’ve had my two angelfish from the beginning. I came in today and noticed my silver angel lying on the bottom of the tank, and it was more sad than I thought it would be.

My tanks water quality is pretty ideal. Ammonia reads 0ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, and pH roughly 7.5 (to accommodate for my other fish requiring a slightly higher pH) -my pH is stable. I perform water changes every week, about 10-15%. (The tank is slightly under stocked) so my nitrates wouldn’t be a problem.

My current built is a 40, temperature 76F, very much an established tank. I’ll attach some pictures too. I noticed the last few days the angels have not been eating, and their stomachs are slightly bloated, so I’m thinking a parasite of a sort? Any help will be great. Thank you!
ca7eca7713caa3369737e4e53e741802.jpg
aa5ba2075d4db6594b25032c7eee5597.jpg
28ed99dc74a81c55d78a6bd15d6a8893.jpg
894eb8cecbb7de5b10d695653befc16c.jpg
 

VenomousTiger

Valued Member
Messages
241
Reaction score
65
Points
63
Experience
2 years
The temp is a bit cold. Angelfish like warmer temps. That’s all I can help you with, sorry. Other people will probably help soon sorry about your fish. Do you know how old it was?
 

Swizzy Iggs

New Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
11
Points
18
Experience
5 years
Your water parameters look perfect. To me, personally, it seems like it could either be a bacterial infection (dropsy) or camallanus worms. Your fish's anus does seem a bit swollen? I can't really see in the photo very clearly...
Have you spotted any worms protruding from the anus of your fish? Or have you seen "pineconing"? Your symptoms most align with either dropsy or callamanus worms.
It would also be helpful to see a photo of the fish from above! Both of these diseases are characterized by lack of appetite and bloating. I would say the most likely suspect is dropsy.

Of course, I'm no expert. So I linked a few articles here for your consideration about dropsy, worms, and freshwater diseases in general. I wish the best for you and your fish.

Dropsy

Freshwater Fish Disease Symptoms and Treatment
Important - How To Get Rid Of Camallanus/nematode Worms
 

BlueCollarNobody

Valued Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
44
Points
28
Experience
More than 10 years
Or.....sometimes they just die. Do a deep clean and water change. Give it a couple days, if tank looks good....go shopping for you next fish. All kinds of stuff can happen. Bad genes, over eating, sand or food lodged in stomach etc. One time....turned on the light and a pacu hit the side of acrylic tank so hard it died 3 days later. Scared the **** out of me...if i hadn't been there would have never know thats what happened and why it was limping around. Worst fish ever. Glad it wasn't a glass tank. Its just part of being a fish keeper.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #5

HobbyJohnny

Valued Member
Messages
64
Reaction score
16
Points
43
Experience
1 year
Swizzy Iggs said:
Your water parameters look perfect. To me, personally, it seems like it could either be a bacterial infection (dropsy) or camallanus worms. Your fish's anus does seem a bit swollen? I can't really see in the photo very clearly...
Have you spotted any worms protruding from the anus of your fish? Or have you seen "pineconing"? Your symptoms most align with either dropsy or callamanus worms.
It would also be helpful to see a photo of the fish from above! Both of these diseases are characterized by lack of appetite and bloating. I would say the most likely suspect is dropsy.

Of course, I'm no expert. So I linked a few articles here for your consideration about dropsy, worms, and freshwater diseases in general. I wish the best for you and your fish.


Freshwater Fish Disease Symptoms and Treatment
Important - How To Get Rid Of Camallanus/nematode Worms
Yes! His anus was bloated and they were “pine coning” or as I’ve been calling it, turtle heading. What are some great recommendations for treating dropsy? I suspect that is what it is.

BlueCollarNobody said:
Or.....sometimes they just die. Do a deep clean and water change. Give it a couple days, if tank looks good....go shopping for you next fish. All kinds of stuff can happen. Bad genes, over eating, sand or food lodged in stomach etc. One time....turned on the light and a pacu hit the side of acrylic tank so hard it died 3 days later. Scared the **** out of me...if i hadn't been there would have never know thats what happened and why it was limping around. Worst fish ever. Glad it wasn't a glass tank. Its just part of being a fish keeper.
I had the same experience with a dwarf gourami! They are known to jump, and he continuously kept ramming the hood of my tank, until one time, I saw him REALLY ram it, and he fell to the bottom with a crooked back. I gave him a day with no luck, he was hyperventilating as well, so I had to euthanize him.

VenomousTiger said:
The temp is a bit cold. Angelfish like warmer temps. That’s all I can help you with, sorry. Other people will probably help soon sorry about your fish. Do you know how old it was?
He was fairly young, I’ve had him for about a year, since quarter size, so maybe a year and a few months. And yes I’m trying to heat my tank better, but my 50w is struggling lol. I’m waiting for it to die so I can drop my new 100w in.
 

Lunnietic

Well Known Member
Messages
966
Reaction score
389
Points
78
Experience
2 years
HobbyJohnny said:
He was fairly young, I’ve had him for about a year, since quarter size, so maybe a year and a few months. And yes I’m trying to heat my tank better, but my 50w is struggling lol. I’m waiting for it to die so I can drop my new 100w in.
Why not have both heaters in?
 

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Messages
5,687
Reaction score
3,612
Points
448
Experience
2 years
Could you actually list your nitrates? Because doing a 10-15% water change once a week, usually isn’t enough, even in an understocked tank. The bare minimum is 30%, I personally do 50%, But I am well stocked.

I agree that the temp in the tank should be a little warmer, more like 78.

If you think it is a parasite, the first med I would try is Praziquantel. Because you aren’t exactly sure and you had a fish death, I recommend API General Cure. It has a good antibiotic, along with the dewormer, that works with intestinal infections. Definitely treat the whole tank, and do 2 full rounds. You want meds in the tank for 7-10 days.

I would do some research to see if it maybe was camallanus worms versus round worms. They have a few different symptoms. You will need a different dewormer if that is the case.

I do think General Cure is a good place to start though.

You need to remove any inverts from the tank, and remove carbon from the filter too.

Lunnietic said:
Why not have both heaters in?
I totally agree. I have 2 heaters in my 55g, it helps split the work between 2 heaters. They don’t have to work so hard.
 

ClownFizz

Valued Member
Messages
77
Reaction score
24
Points
18
Experience
2 years
if your fish is bloated? maybe it could be a constipation issue? if the fish were fed the same type of food for a few weeks?
 

Swizzy Iggs

New Member
Messages
30
Reaction score
11
Points
18
Experience
5 years
[If you think it is a parasite, the first med I would try is Praziquantel. Because you aren’t exactly sure and you had a fish death, I recommend API General Cure. It has a good antibiotic, along with the dewormer, that works with intestinal infections. Definitely treat the whole tank, and do 2 full rounds. You want meds in the tank for 7-10 days.

I would do some research to see if it maybe was camallanus worms versus round worms. They have a few different symptoms. You will need a different dewormer if that is the case.

I do think General Cure is a good place to start though.

You need to remove any inverts from the tank, and remove carbon from the filter. [/QUOTE]

I agree! API general cure (or similar) will target multiple areas. I would definitely suggest running a course of antibiotics!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #10

HobbyJohnny

Valued Member
Messages
64
Reaction score
16
Points
43
Experience
1 year
Thanks to all that replied! I actually just checked my temperature again (my thermometer doesn’t suction cup to the tank very well, so it just kinda bobs around) so my temp is roughly 78-78.5. I just checked my nitrates, and I’m looking at what I believe to be around 18ppm or so. Not perfect but not quite toxic. (To my understanding it’s around 40ppm that gets things nasty) can anyone tell me if my koi angel looks infected? If so I’d really like to help him out, starting with General Cure. He’s a lively male and I’d really hate to see him in Davy Jones Locker.
5aaeb2ae78ee742384bb9fbed0960e5f.jpg
59d1aba373ab6ee9bd874ecc7f05732a.jpg
7fa45077fc4d150c022048eecc320f6f.jpg


He’s normally incredibly wild and loves feeding time. He’s fed a variety of foods, from Omega One to bits of algae wafers, he gets seldom treats for bloodworms and brine shrimps.
 

BlueCollarNobody

Valued Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
44
Points
28
Experience
More than 10 years
I hate how close in color the nitrate test levels are on the strip. Makes it hard to know exactly what the reading is.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom