Fish Dying, Really Confused.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Dcchillin, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Dcchillin

DcchillinValued MemberMember

So i recent had 9/10 neon tetras die after i added the last 6 to bring me to a total of ten. after talking with some people here i assumed it was neon tetra disease. The only one who survived was the one i removed from the tank.

so yesterday i went out and purchased 4 male guppies. Immediately after adding them to the tank, one swam and hid by the heater under some plants (great sign). he disappeared over night, i cant even find his body. Assuming the amano shrimp got to it.

Then after my 25% water change a couple hours ago, i had another guppy floating upside down and had to euthanize him. When i removed him, i did notice some blood on his face.

My dwarf guarami does have a mark on his face, so im really starting to wonder if hes turned into an ***hole and is killing my smaller fish. i did see him swim up to one of the guppies and "kiss" him, so it really has me wondering. I know theyre supposed to be realatively peaceful fish, but can turn violent under certain conditions.

It's a 20 gallon high tank, water parameters have been steady since i started stocking about a month ago. Shrimps and snails are molting and laying eggs, pleco is doing great as well.

ph-7.5
    nh-.25
    no2-0
    no3-5
    kh-6
    gh-13
    temp-76

I know the .25 isnt great but ive dosed prime for tank volume twice this week, and dosed the water i use for changes when i mix it.

Im really getting frustrated and sad. Any thoughts?

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytankValued MemberMember

I think it might be the gourami too
    You introduced the guppy and he already knew it was best to hide behind the heater and that he was in someones territory
    It's probably a territorial issue since the shrimps haven't been eaten yet even during molting, and that kiss was probably a warning signal

3. 2211Nighthawk

2211NighthawkFishlore VIPMember

My gourmi can be a bully but he's never gone after my two guppies. BUT he goes after the 8" goldfish. He did harass another gourmi I'd gotten till he killed it...

4. r15u5

r15u5Valued MemberMember

Introducing any fish that is flashy or colorful would set my DG off. If they are smaller and can't respond, I would hold that suspect, although he wouldn't be very sneaky about it, it would just happen. Black neons he does not care about, pearl angles does not care, GBR yes, but they pair up and return the agression and it's over in little territory spats.

5. OP
    OP
    Dcchillin

Ok, so should I looked at returning the dg? I really like him but it makes it hard o stock my tank when everything dies... I still have two of the male guppies from yesterday, but they stay at the very top of the tank

6. 2211Nighthawk

Depends on who you want more. I have my gourmi the plants to hide in and now he's fine.

7. OP
    OP
    Dcchillin

My tank is planted but it's only a month or so old so the plants aren't that big yet. I like my dg a lot but the the schooling fish were nice as well, but didn't last long...

8. r15u5

r15u5Valued MemberMember

@TexasDomer may have a better opinion for this, but sometimes by taking DG out, add a non bright variant of schooling fish, change the tank around and re-introduce your Gourami a few days later after, the DG see it as a changed environment and become less territorial and generally more accepting as they find the territory again. Personally I love the DG, they are really great fish to watch especially in a well planted and multi object tank.

9. OP
    OP
    Dcchillin

Well I had 4 neons in before the dg went in, but I added him with 6 more tetras. Idk like I said it's getting stressful and a bit discouraging. I was doing well until the second batch of fish, it's been a rough week and a half since then...

10. 2211Nighthawk

Some gourmis are just bullies unfortunately. Can't say they are all one way or another. Keep you chin up, you'll figure it out. :) took me ages to quit changing my mind on what kinda fish I want. And I still might go with an idea I had ages ago.

11. r15u5

r15u5Valued MemberMember

Yeah you might try returning him for another, if you were still interested. Maybe stock the school first and opt for a young DG and see if he grows with them well.

12. OP
    OP
    Dcchillin

Maybe that's what I'll do then. You can tell the guppies are terrified. Every time the dg goes for air they swim as far away as possible. It'd a shame too I liked the dg he definitely has some personality. Oh well I'll get a school in there and then maybe try again down the road.

13. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Can you list your full stocking, just to be sure? It's unusual for a DG to kill small schooling fish (but not at all surprising for a DG to kill another gourami @2211Nighthawk , that's expected and that's why you don't keep different gourami species together).

14. 2211Nighthawk

Yeah, I know now... It was a 45 so I thought it was big enough tank for two... should have checked on here.

15. OP
    OP
    Dcchillin

I had 10 neons, 1 clown pleco, 1dg, 6 amano, 3 nerite.

Now I had 2 guppies instead of the neons. Rest is the same.

16. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

Neons can also be sensitive and weak. So they might have died and then the other fish and inverts eaten them. Or the DG might have picked on them if they were weak. Fish often bully other fish if they can sense that they are weak or sick. The kissing thing is weird, but DGs aren't usually territorial with schooling fish - unless it felt crowded in this small tank?

17. OP
    OP
    Dcchillin

Ya idk. Lost another guppy today. That's 2/4 gone in two days.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  18. Prism

PrismWell Known MemberMember

I think I have the solution, after ALL the tetras died did you clean the water about 75 - 100%? If not there could still be the disease of the death of the tetras, but probably the gourami did the accident with the guppy, but I would clean the whole tank about, 75%? Test the water after cleaned, then put the fish in, contact in further due.

19. Lindsay83

Lindsay83Valued MemberMember

I've been following this thread all day, and a few things pop out to me:

1) You set up the tank about a month ago, and have a .25 ammonia reading. Did you complete a fishless cycle, or are you doing a fish-in cycle?

2) You have a territorial fish in the same tank as fish that, to the DG, could be seen as potential threats.

3) You had 4 Neon Tetras, added 6 more, and that's when things started going South.

4) After losing the Neons, you added Guppies. I'm assuming here that you didn't quarantine them?

The Prime is protecting them from the effects of ammonia toxicity, so that, in itself, isn't important, but I wouldn't be adding new fish to a tank when it can't handle the bioload of the fish already in there.

The 6 neons could have introduced something to the tank that the residents - and subsequent additions to the tank - aren't immune to, causing, or perpetuating, the problems you're having now.

The Gourami, taking offence at the Guppies, and kept in relatively close proximity (20gal high, as opposed to a 20gal long) will be keeping them under stress, reducing their immune systems and leaving them vulnerable to infection.

20. OP
    OP
    Dcchillin

I used am old filter element and bacteria rings, so it cycled in about 4 days, took the previous tank just over aomtg to cycle. Reading have been consistent since then, dispite the new additions. No ammo spikes, even nitrates stayed the same. I did a 50% when the last two tetras died, and a couple 25% before adding guppies.

And no I didn't qt really have no way at this point.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice