Fish Dying Please Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate leonhard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Today when I got home from school I found two of my Cory catfish dead. I had recently bought a uv sterilizer to combat the algae bloom in the tank. On Sunday I left it on for 3 hours then turned it off. On Monday I left it on for 2 hours then turned it off. When I got home the tank was clearing up significantly, but all my fish are dying or are going to die. My blood parrot cichild is laying on its side and it's breathing heavy. The only survivors where a rubber lip pleco my blood parrot cichild and one other Cory catfish. The water perimeters are fine I tested it last night and when I got home. I have no idea what too do.

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What are your readings right now? What is the ph in the tank and tap ph? What kind of uv are you using, are you sure it is installed correctly?

Kate leonhard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What are your readings right now? What is the ph in the tank and tap ph? What kind of uv are you using, are you sure it is installed correctly?
At the moment my readings are 0 I'm using the water testing kit and it says that water is fine. My tank size is 30 gallon. The uv sterilizer I'm using is 10 watt and I think it's installed correctly.

Kate leonhard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
At the moment my readings are 0 I'm using the water testing kit and it says that water is fine. My tank size is 30 gallon. The uv sterilizer I'm using is 10 watt and I think it's installed correctly.
Also just noticed that my cichlid and my dead Cory cat fish had holes in their heads so they probably have a parasite right

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Both had them? Usually hole in the head is a bacteria if I'm not mistaken. Is your nitrate also reading 0...when is the last time a water change was done, and how often do you do them?

Kate leonhard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Both had them? Usually hole in the head is a bacteria if I'm not mistaken. Is your nitrate also reading 0...when is the last time a water change was done, and how often do you do them?
Yes my nitrate is also reading 0. And the last time I did a water change was Friday and it was a 25% I do a 25% water change every week.

AWheeler

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
What fish are left in the tank and are they showing any symptoms? How long have you had the tank running, how long have you had the fish? Do you have a heavily planted tank?

Kate leonhard

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
What fish are left in the tank and are they showing any symptoms? How long have you had the tank running, how long have you had the fish? Do you have a heavily planted tank?
The fish that are left in the tank is a blood parrot cichlid, a Cory catfish, and a rubber lip pleco. The Cory catfish and the pleco are fine, but the parrot cichlid is laying at the bottom of the tank with its fins down and breathing heavily. It looks as if it has an indentation in its head and maybe some holes. I've had the tank sense January. And I've had the Cory catfish and the cichlid sense November. There are no plants in the tank.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Can you answer my questions above?

Your tank is not cycled. What are you using to test the parameters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom