Fish dying one by one

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by yellowskin, Jun 30, 2016.

1. y

yellowskin Valued Member Member

Hey guys,

I've been looking into my tank and 3 juvenile guppies were swimming weird and seemed weak. Kind of like a snake in water but much slower...like a waddle. the dorsal fin and tail fin are 'closed' but their pelvic fin (on their sides and behind the eyes) are fine. I thought it would be stress related or just born weak (same batch), but few days later they all died, even after a 65-70% water change.

Then my healthiest oldest male guppy showed those same symptoms yesterday and today, he died...worst part is, i'm seeing 2-3 more juvenile guppies that are showing the same symptom again! My SAE is also swimming VERY fast usually not THAT active.

My water parameters are as follows:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 5-10ppm

My tank is fully cycled, but my plants did melt for the past 2 months...

What could be the problem?!

2. SnarkyXTS

SnarkyXTS Valued Member Member

Water hardness? Livebearers like guppies need hard water. What you describe them doing sounds like shimmying, if so then it's a major sign that you're water is too soft for them and that's why they are dying. I had the same problem when I first started. Only thing though is that since your ph is high, it's confusing since a lot of times high ph water usually is harder rather than soft, ykwim? Still I'd research shimmying to see if that's what your guppies are doing. Find out & post your kh/gh results too. There are a lot of really knowledgeable & helpful people on here so hopefully others will chime in.

3. OP
    OP
    y

yellowskin Valued Member Member

Thanks for your input! I did look up shimmying and it seemed like it was that. I've lost a few more juvenile guppies :/

It was okay for a couple days and another fish seems to get the shimmies. water parameters are all good. I know that my area of water has hard water and I don't use any water softeners of any sort. Also my 10g tank is doing great (just female guppies in there). Seems like my 29g is the problem, but my amano shrimp and SAE are doing fine...

I've heard that replenishing electrolytes in the water might help with salt. Can I use table salt without iodine in place of aquarium salt? Aquarium salt is NaCl just like kosher table salt which is what i use in my kitchen...and would it be safe for my amano shrimp and SAE?

4. SnarkyXTS

SnarkyXTS Valued Member Member

Tbh I don't know which salt can or cannot be used because I don't use salt at all for any of my community tanks, not even livebearer tank. I hope someone with more experience reads this & helps out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice