Fish Dying - Not Sure Of Cause

GatlingGun

Hello All,

I recently picked up 3 Otto’s in my first trip to the LFS in a long time because I had a fish death issue a few months back. My current stocking a week ago (the survivors from the catastrophe): 2 Dwarf Kamaka Rainbowfish, a pair of Kribensis, a few Nerite snails, and the 3 Otto’s. Everything was going fine, but a few days ago I noticed a Kamaka laying dead. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrates all 0, but the temperature in the tank is around 70-72 F since I’m not running a heater and haven’t ever needed one here in Texas, also keeping it cooler to combat algae problems. Along with the algae problems, I have not been keeping the light on a lot and most days none, just experimenting. I know my fish in the tank like upper 70’s, but most of my research on all my fish say 70-72 should still be fine, but is it? Yesterday another Kamaka laying dead, perfectly healthy-looking the day before. Temp still 70-72 F. I put a lid on the aquarium to try to keep in heat, which has helped 1 or 2 degrees. Water test came out perfectly. Then today, another Otto died, looking fine yesterday. This is the weirdest thing I’ve seen, and I am stumped on what to do. I heard Cory in some video explaining that temperature is ok to drop a bit under ideal because it recreates natural influxes. Can someone give me advice, thanks.

Blacksheep1

Sorry to hear about your losses. What size is the tank? I wonder if the new ottos brought something in with them rather than temp to be the fault. Do a larger than normal water change for a start and watch carefully for any signs at all of disease. Just a thought , Is your test kit in date ?

GatlingGun

Sorry to hear about your losses. What size is the tank? I wonder if the new ottos brought something in with them rather than temp to be the fault. Do a larger than normal water change for a start and watch carefully for any signs at all of disease. Just a thought , Is your test kit in date ?
Yes, Aquarium Co-Op test strips, got them a month or two ago. Definitely could be the Otto’s, but nothing seems too out of the ordinary, but they do like to dart, is that normal for Otto’s? Tank is 40 breeder

Hellfishguy

Did you quarantine the otos? If not, it’s very likely you introduced a pathogen into your tank.

GatlingGun

Did you quarantine the otos? If not, it’s very likely you introduced a pathogen into your tank.
I did not. I do have an empty 20 high, probably a better idea to do that but they looked good.
I did not. I do have an empty 20 high, probably a better idea to do that but they looked good.
I have a pair of kribs and one Otto still alive, what do you recommend? Otto in 20g?

Blacksheep1

It may be a bit late to start moving at this point , you may have to put the snails in there if you need to treat though and it’s not a snail safe treatment. You’d need to diagnose first though . Are they showing any symptoms ?

GatlingGun

It may be a bit late to start moving at this point , you may have to put the snails in there if you need to treat though and it’s not a snail safe treatment. You’d need to diagnose first though . Are they showing any symptoms ?
Exactly, I can’t identify any symptoms, so I guess just frequent water changes. I’m about to do one.

Hellfishguy

Not quarantining newly purchased fish is just inviting trouble. Multiple deaths could be the fast acting form of columnaris.

GatlingGun

Not quarantining newly purchased fish is just inviting trouble. Multiple deaths could be the fast acting form of columnaris.
Ok so i just read the columnaris article and I have Fritz A+ Freshwater aquarium salt. If i do a 40ish % water change now and add the recommended 1tsp/gallon, that would be good?
Ok so i just read the columnaris article and I have Fritz A+ Freshwater aquarium salt. If i do a 40ish % water change now and add the recommended 1tsp/gallon, that would be good?
I think the salt is a bad idea because it’s not good with the plants that are already struggling currently and battling algae currently.

Blacksheep1

Personally I’d choose fish over plants , or just pull the plants and put them in the other tank or a bucket during treatment

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TheMadScientist
Replies
Views
Rose of Sharon
Replies
Views
Fishowner24
Replies
Views