fish dying, no idea why??? help?

1. riddik1 Member Member

the tank is a 45g. water tests out as perfect... 0 amm, 0 nitrite, 5 nitrate. no algae, med light (1 t5ho) a couple plants, no co2, no ferts. water smells fine. i bought a new api master test kit to make sure it was accurate and the results were the same. all fish have died except for a sunset platy and she is looking rough. doing weekly 30% water changes. didnt introduce anything to alter ph , which is steady at about 7 by the way. filter is a fluval 304. i rinse out half the sponges and half the other media about once a month with tank water. tank has been running for about a year with no problems. the fish started to drop off about a month ago. they show no signs of disease that i can see. no ick, stringy poop, red or inflamed gills. they all swam straight and looked fine. the only warning would be the night before a fish wouldnt touch the food and would be gone by morning. im starting to think about a full tear down and restart but i really dont want to. any ideas or suggestions would be great. thanx

2. riddik1 Member Member

piscene tuberculosis? any one with any experience with this? was doing a little reading and its the only thing that seems like it fits. which means im ripping down the tank.........

3. Speedy Well Known Member Member

Have you added anything new to the tank at all live plants,fish,decor ect? Have you added anything new to the filter? I know these might seem off questions but I myself get all stressed out and forget sometimes until I just calm down take a break and breath then I think oh my goodness that is what I did wrong....

4. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

I'm sorry for your loss.

It very well could be TB. A disease that fish can be carrying for some time and then they all of a sudden stop eating and die.

I find it to be interesting that all the fish are suddenly not eating within days of each other and then die.

I hate mystery deaths. That and Columnaris.