Fish Dying - Lost 5 In A Week Help

1. Kubie Member Member

I have a 40 gal tank that is probably overstocked. But did a 25% water change at the when the first fish died. I have the Carib sea planted tank soil so I don't vaccumm.

I have some plant, but I need to add more. Also test strips say everything is of for nitrates and nitrites.[​IMG]

8 glo tetra
    6 Cory pepper catfish
    1 albino pelco (was 2)
    2 Berta female adults (was 4)
    2 Berta female juveniles
    7 neon terra (was 9)
    2 octo catfish (wasn 3)
    1 small pelcos

Anything to do to keep from losing more

[​IMG]

2. William_Wallace Initiate Member

Get a liquid test kit and throw those strips away. Master test kit from api. Give us your reading once you have them.

3. Kubie Member Member

Lost another 2 fish
    Broke down canister filter and replaced all pads and added charcoal to it.

Also I have a African dwarf frog too.

4. Piaelliott Well Known Member Member

I don't understand why you threw the filter media out. This is where your beneficial bacteria grows among other places. If you were able to grow beneficial bacteria you lost them now.
    You can get Prime Stability to get the BB going again.

You didn't give us any information, the strip is useless since we don't have a reference.
    What is the background, age of tank, when did you add the fish, how long have you had them, are you aware of the nitrogen cycle, is the aquarium cycled, etc.

If nitrites are off, it means that you are not cycled or that the cycle couldn't keep up with your fish, do 50% water changes back to back and don't forget to treat your water with water conditioner like Prime.
    Water changes and Prime is the only thing that can help your fish+Seachem Stability to get the cycle started.
    Read up on how to do a fish-in cycle.
    Good luck.

5. Whitewolf Well Known Member Member

There is nothing wrong with a test strip to give an approximate number, not everyone can shell out 40 bucks for liquid test, you dont have to be rude either, eveyone has to start somewhere in this hobby.
    As Piaelliott said, dont throw away your brown gue on the filter pad, that IS your good "nitrifying" bacteria, literally you threw away the bacteria that consumes fish waste.

I reccomend using prime and keeping up with the daily partial water changes, and monitoring the levels too keep them in check.
    Dont overfeed either during this cycle
    I dont know what to say about the fish deaths, you havent gave us any symptoms......
    Probably they are just dying from the water being foul and out of whack.
    Good luck@!

6. Kubie Member Member

I did order the good test kit. Not sure how to use it, which is why I did the strips.

the tank is new this past April. There were new fish added about 2 weeks ago.

This past one just was a dead fish (white eye, floating at bottom about an inch off bottom of the ground). Looked a little pale.

Just changed another 25%

7. William_Wallace Initiate Member

Wasn't trying to be rude...sorry if it came off that way. Was trying to give off advice that was passed to me.

8. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

It comes with a booklet of instructions. Fill three tubes to the 5ml line. In ammonia put 8 drops of solution 1 and shake, then add 8 drops of solution 2 and shake. Wait 5 minutes and match color results. For Nitrite add 5 drops, shake and wait 5 minutes.

Nitrate is a bit more involved but add 10 drops of solution one and shake. Shake solution 2 HARD for 30 seconds and add 10 drops and shake tube again. Shake tube for 1 minute then wait 5 and read results.

9. Kubie Member Member

Decided to watch the fish.
    Noticed one of the glo tetra we going after one of the young bettas. The betta wasn't doing well as is. The Betta was struggling to swim. The glo tetra was nipping at him and quickly he as a goner.

I separate him out.
    If this is the cause, this little jerk took out 9 fish... a few bigger than it.

10. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

I really wish you would do the liquid test. At least do the one for ammonia. It will tell you the majority of what you need to know because ammonia and nitrite are the most likely things to hurt a fish and both of those tests a very easy to do. It takes less than a minute to perform the tests and then you just go back and read them in 5 minutes.

11. Kubie Member Member

Got the test in from Amazon.
    Ammonia is 0
    Nitrite is 0
    Nitrate is 20

14df8159d32089152b65622ac28c329c.jpg 59f61029751bc93cc6a490776871b0fc.jpg 96d0db28a54c0cacabd7933ee8b6cac1.jpg

12. Kellye8498 Well Known Member Member

Do you notice them doing anything weird before the death occurs? Weird swimming or fungus on the fish? Anything like that?

13. mollybabes Well Known Member Member

Picture of the dead fish. I might be an illness or something

14. LucilleLelant Member Member

Did I read you have a betta in there? Chances are he decided to attack the other fish. Betta splendens do not really do well in community tanks. Tetras are notorious fin nippers and he probably got fed up.

15. Kubie Member Member

They are all female bettas. And lost 4 bettas: 1 adult and 3 young ones.

Didn't save the dead fish. Most looked pale and white. No green on.
    There did swim funny the day before they died. Kind of swimming vertically forward .

16. Kubie Member Member

Only one betta left

17. LucilleLelant Member Member

Male and female bettas can not live together. Only females and in a heavily planted tank!

18. Kubie Member Member

No male bettas.

19. LucilleLelant Member Member

Ok. Sorry I misunderstood. But honestly bettas are intolerant of even their own species, putting others into the mix is probably what has caused the problem, there could be another reason as well though so maybe check no fish are sick.

20. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Hello and welcome! Sorry your fish are dying. Something is out of balance. Your particular mix of fish is a little problematic. They are not exactly compatible. I mean, some don't really belong in the same tank. They may be quite stressed out. What is the temperature of your tank? Do you have a heater?

Keep a close eye on your test kit numbers. Test regularly. As others have said, you have thrown out some of your cycle bacteria, and your tank is not mature. It's only been running for a few months and it may need to re-cycle.

Keep an eye out for signs of infectious disease. Since your parameters are good, you either have a disease in your tank, or your fish are attacking each other. Or maybe your temperature is way off? Hard to say at this point.