Fish Dying! Help! Help

1. Tan073

Tan073 New Member Member

I have a 4ft tank which is well established for around 5yrs. Tank set up: 2 large pieces of driftwood and heavily planted. Quartz substrate. Air pump. Canister filter with seachem matrix media. Water changes 25%weekly. Water conditioner: prime.
    Fish that are still alive are: 2 clown loaches (still small), 6 platy, 8 neon tetra, 1 harlequinrasbora, 2 yoyo loaches, 1 boesemani rainbow (small, young), and recently added 12 scissortail rasbora.
    In the last week I have lost 1 guppy, 1 harlequin rasbora, 1 yoyo and 1 decent size pleco.
    All started with neon showing white spot on lip. Then mickey mouse platy got large white spotsin tail. Guppy that died showed no sign of illness. Pleco died today and also no sign of illness. Also seems to have started when school of scissortail were introduced 2 weeks ago.
    Water parameters:
    Ammonia:0
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate: 10-20ppm
    Gh: 5
    Kh:2
    Ph:7.6-7.8
    Temp: 26C
    Currently treating water with melafix andpimafix but since starting treatment fish seem to be dying. One Clown loache has not reallymoved for days and not eaten for 5 days. Mickey mouse platys not swimming properly, justswaying in one spot. Rainbow then got spot on it side but immediately after the first treatment itdropped off. I am mostly worried about my clown loache. Had it for a while now. Otherclown loach is fine and still active and eating.
    Have I caused this by putting in the scissortail?The scissortail seem fine except 2 have tiny white spot on mouth but didn't have this whenpurchased. I have never had a problem like this in the time I've had the tank set up. Should I usesalt in my tank as I don't but have read I should? Could this be contributing to the illness? ShouldI continue with the treatments? I am worried that in a few more days most my fish will be dead...

Attached Files:

2. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

I'm not a disease expert by any means, but you may want to look at columnaris. It spreads fast and can be a quick killer, but most strains can be treated with kanaplex. I'm not sure about the salt, I'll let someone else answer on that one. Best of luck

3. OP
    OP
    Tan073

Tan073 New Member Member

Thanks @Rtessy. I think you are right. Was just reading about columnaris. Sounds like what's going on in my tank.

4. Rtessy

Rtessy Well Known Member Member

Glad I could help, and I'm so sorry you ended up with it. It's unfortunately common, but hey, at least that means it can be medicated. Kanaplex also has no impact on biological filtration, and has been safe for snails and shrimp for me.

5. OP
    OP
    Tan073

Tan073 New Member Member

Is it okay to add the Kanaplex with melafix and pimafix already in the tank? I treated for 4 days then added carbon and did water change to try to remove them for a couple of days. Then started treatment again 2 days ago.

6. TexasGuppy

TexasGuppy Well Known Member Member

I think furan 2 is better treatment for columnarus. I actually used both in a combo treatment. Also, it did cause a mini cycle at the end. I didn't lose any more fish once I started treatment.

Edit: I don't there there is a problem mixing with melafix or primafix, they are both weak herbal treatments.

7. OP
    OP
    Tan073

Tan073 New Member Member

Thank you again for you help. Not sure if these are available locally. I will check with aquariums and pet shops tomorrow..

8. TexasGuppy

I had to order on Amazon, couldn't find it locally either.

9. OP
    OP
    Tan073

Tan073 New Member Member

UPDATE
    well I installed uv sterilizer and treated the tank with tri-sulfa yesterday and saw an instant improvement. This morning the clown loache which hadn't moved for 5 days was swimming around looking for food and ate blood worms. All fish look great already.
    May do second dose in a couple of days as a precaution.

10. TexasGuppy

Just read some reviews for that product... It may cause you to lose part (all) of your cycle.. monitor your levels closely for the next week or so, especially if you do another dose.

11. OP
    OP
    Tan073

Tan073 New Member Member

Yes I agree. I am testing regularly and watching for ammonia spike. Okay so far.