Cynic13

Reaction score
Tank

*What is the water volume of the tank?
20 gallon long
*How long has the tank been running?
Three months
*Does it have a filter?
Yes. An aqua tech power filter but I have made the water flow less violent so my betta would be more comfortable.
*Does it have a heater?
Yes, interpet aquarium heater.
*What is the water temperature?
79°F
*What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
2 female betta (one now deceased)
6 guppies (2 now deceased)
5 loach
3 African dwarf frogs
4 amano shrimp
3 cherry shrimp
1 nerite snail

Maintenance
*How often do you change the water?
Once a week. Every Friday.
*How much of the water do you change?
15% or sometimes 30%
*What do you use to treat your water?
Prime and API quickstart
*Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I vacuum but it's a little manual one

*Parameters - Very Important
*Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
No. I share the tank with my roommate and she didn't want to wait as long as you are supposed to.
*What do you use to test the water?
I use API test strips.
*What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5
General Hardness: 0
Carbonate Hardness: 0

Feeding
*How often do you feed your fish?
Once in the morning, once at night. Sometimes only once a day if the guppies steal the bottom feeders wafer.
*How much do you feed your fish?
I try to make sure everyone gets at least two dried blood worms and a little bit of dried brine.
*What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Dried: Hikari
Frozen: Omega One
*Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Both, alternating.

Illness & Symptoms
*How long have you had this fish?
So, this answer varies depending upon the fish. My betta and 3 of my guppies, as well as amano shrimp and the nerite snail were all bought around late July. The dwarf frogs in August. The rest of them were added along the way as I did tank upgrades. I most recently added a new guppy (now dead) and the cherry shrimp
*How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Four days ago
*In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Slower moving, one guppy looked hunched over, if that makes since. White around the face almost like lifted scales and sometimes, white around the eye. Often found alone or hovering near the surface. One fish looked very labored as if she had trouble breathing. Fins sometimes look frayed
*Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Aside from slightly lowering the temperature and adding a small amount of salt, no. Originally I thought a fish had simply been attacked and two fish that died after were white so I noticed no signs.
*Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
Not that I noticed but my new guppy was white with translucent spots and the first to die. Because he was new he was also very skittish and I often did not see him.
*How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
I believe two fish now have mouth rot. The female betta (which is dark blue) now has white around her mouth and eyes and moves less.

*Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

The first fish to die I believe was a new guppy I had recently bought from a pet store. I had no idea anything was wrong. He was white with some translucent spots. To my dismay, woke up one morning to find him dead and mostly eaten. I kinda figured the fish just didn't like him or that I was going to have to try and find and remove a fishy murderer. But the next day one of my betta looked white around the face and she was breathing hard. I thought that she had been attacked by someone, so I isolated her. But the next day she was dead. I am new to fish keeping but this was suspicious. Next day, I noticed a guppy swimming slowly/oddly but his face was naturally white so I made no connection. He was by the next morning. I cleaned out the tank and replaced the water but I believe another fish has it now. White around the mouth and eyes. Swimming slowly. After doing research I believe it is mouth rot or something similar. Thing is, my fish die within 48 hours or less. What can I do to save my fish? I care about them a lot and it is crushing me to see them going through this. Kassandra, the betta fish that died, was very sweet and meant a lot to me as do all of my fish. After doing some reading online I found out that I was supposed to quarantine my new fish in a separate tank and that was definitely my downfall.

peacockbass

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I think you are taking very good care of the tank itself but the biggest problem I see especially for having a 20 gallon tank, is the amount of fish you are housing in it. I would recommend taking out some of the loaches as they are maybe taking up more room and stressing out some of the other fish. Hope this helps. Good luck

OP
C

Cynic13

Reaction score
peacockbass said:
I think you are taking very good care of the tank itself but the biggest problem I see especially for having a 20 gallon tank, is the amount of fish you are housing in it. I would recommend taking out some of the loaches as they are maybe taking up more room and stressing out some of the other fish. Hope this helps. Good luck
Okay thank you. If I managed to rehome two of them would the three remaining be fine? They are kuhlI loaches, I forgot to mention the specifics. I ask because I read that they felt more comfortable in groups of six so maybe a group of three would suffice?

peacockbass

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Cynic13 said:
Okay thank you. If I managed to rehome two of them would the three remaining be fine? They are kuhlI loaches, I forgot to mention the specifics. I ask because I read that they felt more comfortable in groups of six so maybe a group of three would suffice?
Yes hopefully that should help a little bit at least.

SeaMonkey06

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Cynic13 said:
Tank

*What is the water volume of the tank?
20 gallon long
*How long has the tank been running?
Three months
*Does it have a filter?
Yes. An aqua tech power filter but I have made the water flow less violent so my betta would be more comfortable.
*Does it have a heater?
Yes, interpet aquarium heater.
*What is the water temperature?
79°F
*What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
2 female betta (one now deceased)
6 guppies (2 now deceased)
5 loach
3 African dwarf frogs
4 amano shrimp
3 cherry shrimp
1 nerite snail

Maintenance
*How often do you change the water?
Once a week. Every Friday.
*How much of the water do you change?
15% or sometimes 30%
*What do you use to treat your water?
Prime and API quickstart
*Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
I vacuum but it's a little manual one

*Parameters - Very Important
*Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes but I share the tank with my roommate and she didn't want to wait as long as you are supposed to.
*What do you use to test the water?
I use API test strips.
*What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0
pH: 6.5
General Hardness: 0
Carbonate Hardness: 0

Feeding
*How often do you feed your fish?
Once in the morning, once at night. Sometimes only once a day if the guppies steal the bottom feeders wafer.
*How much do you feed your fish?
I try to make sure everyone gets at least two dried blood worms and a little bit of dried brine.
*What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Dried: Hikari
Frozen: Omega One
*Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
Both, alternating.

Illness & Symptoms
*How long have you had this fish?
So, this answer varies depending upon the fish. My betta and 3 of my guppies, as well as amano shrimp and the nerite snail were all bought around late July. The dwarf frogs in August. The rest of them were added along the way as I did tank upgrades. I most recently added a new guppy (now dead) and the cherry shrimp
*How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
Four days ago
*In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Slower moving, one guppy looked hunched over, if that makes since. White around the face almost like lifted scales and sometimes, white around the eye. Often found alone or hovering near the surface. One fish looked very labored as if she had trouble breathing. Fins sometimes look frayed
*Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Aside from slightly lowering the temperature and adding a small amount of salt, no. Originally I thought a fish had simply been attacked and two fish that died after were white so I noticed no signs.
*Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
Not that I noticed but my new guppy was white with translucent spots and the first to die. Because he was new he was also very skittish and I often did not see him.
*How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
I believe two fish now have mouth rot. The female betta (which is dark blue) now has white around her mouth and eyes and moves less.

*Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

The first fish to die I believe was a new guppy I had recently bought from a pet store. I had no idea anything was wrong. He was white with some translucent spots. To my dismay, woke up one morning to find him dead and mostly eaten. I kinda figured the fish just didn't like him or that I was going to have to try and find and remove a fishy murderer. But the next day one of my betta looked white around the face and she was breathing hard. I thought that she had been attacked by someone, so I isolated her. But the next day she was dead. I am new to fish keeping but this was suspicious. Next day, I noticed a guppy swimming slowly/oddly but his face was naturally white so I made no connection. He was by the next morning. I cleaned out the tank and replaced the water but I believe another fish has it now. White around the mouth and eyes. Swimming slowly. After doing research I believe it is mouth rot or something similar. Thing is, my fish die within 48 hours or less. What can I do to save my fish? I care about them a lot and it is crushing me to see them going through this. Kassandra, the betta fish that died, was very sweet and meant a lot to me as do all of my fish. After doing some reading online I found out that I was supposed to quarantine my new fish in a separate tank and that was definitely my downfall.
Welcome to Fishlore!

Firstly, the tank definitely seems a little overstocked. Secondly, you said your tank was cycled by your nitrates read 0? I'm a little confused? Could you get those ammonia levels?
Also, female bettas have to be housed in groups of 4 or more called a sorority or they can be incredibly territorial and might kill each other (what might have happened here)
Also, just a quick question: When you say you cleaned out the tank, was that a partial water change?

peacockbass said:
Yes hopefully that should help a little bit at least.
I personally wouldn't keep kuhlI loaches in groups smaller than 4, and I doubt their mess is making much of a difference...

OP
C

Cynic13

Reaction score
SeaMonkey06 said:
Welcome to Fishlore!

Firstly, the tank definitely seems a little overstocked. Secondly, you said your tank was cycled by your nitrates read 0? I'm a little confused? Could you get those ammonia levels?
Also, female bettas have to be housed in groups of 4 or more called a sorority or they can be incredibly territorial and might kill each other (what might have happened here)
Also, just a quick question: When you say you cleaned out the tank, was that a partial water change?
I should clarify. My roommate and I share a fish tank. When we decided to upgrade to a 20 I wanted it cycled and told her how long we had to wait. But I came home from work one day hardly a week since the tank had been set up and she had already added them to new 20 so I went with it. Since then the water has been cleaned often. So I guess, not cycled but I intended for it to be. I originally had two loach, two dwarf frogs, two guppies and four betta. All but one of my betta began to get violent so I rehomed them. I removed a majority of the water but not all.

Ammonia test results reads: 0

SeaMonkey06 said:
I personally wouldn't keep kuhlI loaches in groups smaller than 4, and I doubt their mess is making much of a difference...
Does it stress them out to be in too small of a group? I keep conflicting opinions and info online in different places.

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Based on the water parameters you’ve given, your tank is not cycled. If that’s the case, weekly water changes are not enough to keep the ammonia level in check.

lilirose

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can keep the female Betta alone, she does not need to live with other Bettas.

Your tank is certainly not cycled, and if your GH and KH are actually zero, those factors (uncycled tank and low hardness) are what's killing your fish- somehow what comes out of your tap is distilled or Reverse Osmosis (RO) water, which needs remineralising to be safe for fish.

If you don't actually have a whole-house RO unit, the GH and KH of your water is extremely unlikely to be zero. My local tap water is extremely soft but the GH is 3 and the KH is 1.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom