Fish dont seem energetic over omega one flakes

dirtmidget33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My fish get fed twice a day in morning they have been getting Tetra flake food and it is pig out fest. In the evening they get san francisco bay brine shrimp they love this especially the Bala Sharks. Just recently I decided to introduce some Omega one Veggie Rounds for the shrimp and cories to munch on as a treat. The Omega one food ingredient list looks better than Tetra doesn't have the fillers Tetra has. So I got them some flake also. First thing food didn't sink so they where not interested (since they have been in new tank which is really deep none of them eat off top. Not sure why seems food has to sink 4 inches before the go for it.) when it did sink they just ate it if they swam by it. They didn't search for it or go berserk. I discovered if I shoved food under water line it sinks but they still where not thrilled about omega flake. They still eat shrimp with gusto and after doing this for a couple of days tried the Tetra food again. They went nuts for Tetra. I don't understand what's wrong with the omega flakes it is like this in both my tanks. The shrimp and turtle likes the veggie rounds. But what gives with flake. Anyone else encountered this problem?

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My fish get fed twice a day in morning they have been getting Tetra flake food and it is pig out fest. In the evening they get san francisco bay brine shrimp they love this especially the Bala Sharks. Just recently I decided to introduce some Omega one Veggie Rounds for the shrimp and cories to munch on as a treat. The Omega one food ingredient list looks better than Tetra doesn't have the fillers Tetra has. So I got them some flake also. First thing food didn't sink so they where not interested (since they have been in new tank which is really deep none of them eat off top. Not sure why seems food has to sink 4 inches before the go for it.) when it did sink they just ate it if they swam by it. They didn't search for it or go berserk. I discovered if I shoved food under water line it sinks but they still where not thrilled about omega flake. They still eat shrimp with gusto and after doing this for a couple of days tried the Tetra food again. They went nuts for Tetra. I don't understand what's wrong with the omega flakes it is like this in both my tanks. The shrimp and turtle likes the veggie rounds. But what gives with flake. Anyone else encountered this problem?
Which Omega flake food did you get for your fish..and what fish do you stock? I used a food that had these light bluish flakes..and the fish absolutely ignored them. Some foods that have veggie matter don't appeal to carnivorous fish. Mine HATE that food. I forgot what it was..but I threw it away. It wasnt cheap either!! More would end up the ground than in their mouths.

dirtmidget33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Omega One Freshwater Flakes for all tropical fish. they used to eat TetraColor Tropical Flakes
fiishy are
Tank 1
2 Bala Sharks
1 White Skirt Tetra
4 Glofish Tetras (white skirts)
2 Leapord Cory
3 ammino shrimp

Tank 2
5 tiger barbs
1 Eastern River Cooter (eats anythng and everything)

Yeah omega one not cheap. All the fish I have is omnivores. Omega food according to ingredients is mainly fish and shrimp. So they should be eating it, the food is fresh not out of date and seal was just broken. I was really surprised when a Bala ignored a piece of food as he swam by. Those Balas eat like the turtle does fishy vacuum cleaners middle of tank bottom of tank caves in corral reef thing I have.

Last edited:

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Omega One Freshwater Flakes for all tropical fish. they used to eat TetraColor Tropical Flakes
fiishy are
Tank 1
2 Bala Sharks
1 White Skirt Tetra
4 Glofish Tetras (white skirts)
2 Leapord Cory
3 ammino shrimp

Tank 2
5 tiger barbs
1 Eastern River Cooter (eats anythng and everything)

Yeah omega one not cheap. All the fish I have is omnivores. Omega food according to ingredients is mainly fish and shrimp. So they should be eating it, the food is fresh not out of date and seal was just broken. I was really surprised when a Bala ignored a piece of food as he swam by. Those Balas eat like the turtle does fishy vacuum cleaners middle of tank bottom of tank caves in corral reef thing I have.
Is this the food that you have?

IMG_4094.JPG

Some of my smaller fish will eat that stuff...and some will not. The middle and bottom feeders will swim right past it at times which leads to a lot of waste on the floor.... So...

I switched to this...

IMG_4095.JPG

They seem to eat this pretty darn quick. When i dip it into the tank and saturate it, then it falls to the fish that are middle and bottom feeders. I have a tank with 6 Tiger, 3 green and 3 Platinum Barbs..and they eat like little Piranhas. They grab most of the food from the top. The other smaller fish in that tank leave the top to the Tigers and its cousins. They wait for the food to hit the middle instead of mixing it up with the Tigers. The Cobalt, they seem to go for MUCH more passionately.

For my larger fish I use New Life Spectrum which has been highly recommended. I use it for my Rainbows, Severum, Parrott and all community fish that are larger. They LOVE it.

IMG_4096.JPG

The one that I alternate with the New Life is this. Its a smaller pellet and does sink. They eat this up quick. I feed my African Cichlids the last two foods. They don't have as high of a protein content, which is better for the digestive tract of the fish.

IMG_4097.JPG

IMG_4099.JPG

Last edited:

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just looked up the New Life Formula on Amazon..and they DO have a flake food. I just ordered some with my Prime membership. TWO DAYS shipping! WEEEEE!!! If it is as good as the pellet formula, it should be a winner. They also make a small micro pellet that floats for the surface feeders in a smaller tank.

Here is the web site for the New Life Foods. They are considered to be one of the best!

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I would say maybe they are still getting used to the new food. When I got NLS for my fish, they didn't even touch it all. Now they go crazy for it. It took a while for them to get used to it and like it though

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Variety is the key. As AquaticBrandon has mentioned, sometimes they ignore a new food..then a few weeks later, they seem OK with it. Variety in the diet is good.

slayer5590

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The easiest way to get fish to eat new food is to not feed them for a few days, and then give them the new food.

dirtmidget33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
One of the Balas ate a big light tan flake he spit it out seen it floating so he ate it again. He puked it back out ate it two more times before discarding it for good. It settled onto bottom was later snagged by a shrimp. Whatever it was he didn't like it.

chrt396

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
One of the Balas ate a big light tan flake he spit it out seen it floating so he ate it again. He puked it back out ate it two more times before discarding it for good. It settled onto bottom was later snagged by a shrimp. Whatever it was he didn't like it.
Picky little boogars at time aren't they?

I did buy this Garlic addditve for fish food for the finicky eaters. It's a s[ray that has one of the strongest garlic odors that I have EVER smelled. I lightly sprayed the food..and fed them...they jumped on it. I did that a couple times and after that they started eating the food. I switced shortly thereafter though..and they seem to unconditionally like the new food.

dirtmidget33

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Picky little boogars at time aren't they?

I did buy this Garlic addditve for fish food for the finicky eaters. It's a s[ray that has one of the strongest garlic odors that I have EVER smelled. I lightly sprayed the food..and fed them...they jumped on it. I did that a couple times and after that they started eating the food. I switced shortly thereafter though..and they seem to unconditionally like the new food.
You know that's the strangest thing. It is only with this flake that they are picky about and don't eat it. which surprised me since ingredient list looks good for them. The Balas are normally total pigs, they gobble brine shrimp like crazy, when they lived with turtle they would steal his turtle pellets, they attack omega one veggie rounds when I drop one for corys and shrimp as it sinks and even munch on it when at bottom of tank. However when it comes to omega flakes them and tetras even when not fed for a day sort of pick threw it like a kid eating vegetables they don't like. I will prolly try spray and eventually one of the other brands you suggested. The turtle eats omega one but not vigorously like the other stuff. He is a eating machine though and will eat it so it won't goto waste if fish don't come around. The tiger barbs that live with him don't care for it much either. The tiger barbs do like the veggie rounds when I chuck one in for turtle.

P.S. The balas are pretty good size they growing like weeds. One is 5 inches nose to tail other one 4 1/2 inches. LOL

Last edited:

cooperbh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lol, I've experienced this exact same thing numerous times with Omega One flakes in my all-tetra tank, right down to the part about the shrimp. The tetras LOVE the O1 micro pellets, but have been pretty ambivalent about the flakes until today, which marked the first meal they've been offered since I added some new fish a couple of days ago. It just so happened I was out of their usual flake food (Tetra color crisps, which they go crazy for), so I decided to try the O1 flakes again. We'll see if they feel the same way about them tomorrow, now that they're not starving.

Bob Ellis

Valued Member
Reaction score
I've encountered this as well. Even though your new offering may be a better food it is still new, and by nature these little creatures are wary of a change in their food.

Imagine you are a wild animal and suddenly your food source changes in appearance or taste. The cautious individuals are more likely to perpetuate the genome.

cooperbh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
A little update: The black phantoms and black neons now readily devour the O1 flakes. There is also a single glowlight who was the last addition to my school of eight who eats it up. The other seven glowlights are still holding out. They don't even make a move towards it, just watch it drift by and settle on the floor to be cleaned up by the cories and shrimp.

I've been feeding O1 flakes in the morning and O1 micro pellets in the evening. I'm considering nixing the micro pellets from the menu for a few days to see if that doesn't expand the palate of those seven snobby food critics residing in my tank. Keep you posted.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom