Fish dont move much

Cajun56

Im new to the whole pond thing. I have 2 tanks in my house but this is my 1st pond. My fish barley move and they stay at the bottom under the plants or by the filter box. I do water tests weekly and everything comes back good except today my ph was 8.8. I use the api freshwater test kit. Any thought or opinions would be appreciated
20200607_113458.jpg

elisa001

What kinds of fish are they and how long have you had them? If your fish have been like this for a while it’s likely due to water quality. Wouldn’t worry about your PH too much it seems ok have you tested for ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites? Is your pond cycled?

I notice most of my fish are skittish when I first get them and stay hiding under plants until they learn to associate me with food.

Upvote 0

Shannon529

Have you tested the water temp and is it the correct one for the type of fish? Are there plants under the water as well? They could be just sticking to where the shade is. More plants might make them a bit more active. Also, do you know if there have been any predators lurking around? They might be hiding from birds, raccoons, etc.

Upvote 0

Cajun56

I havent tested the temp but it doesnt seem to get too hot. And i do have birds around the house bot loke hwks are anything just regular birds. Its 2 fantail goldfish and 1 comet goldfish

Upvote 0

Shannon529

Sorry I have no other advice. Any change in their moving?

Upvote 0

hoseki

These days are so hot. Looks like you need an aeration pump to keep up the oxygen level in the pond especially in the afternoon. When oxygen level is low. Fish will hide and not moving that much.

Upvote 0

hoseki

It may help your green soup as well.

Upvote 0

KribensisLover1

I have kribs and the smaller ones sit completely still in the plants. I thought they were not doing well for a while until I realized they were hiding from larger ones. I have worked on this yet it still happens a lot and they are completely healthy!!

Upvote 0

Cajun56

So since this post ive added a bigger pump to both my waterfall and main pump. Main pump is 880 gph and the waterfall pump is 350gph. Plus the addition of a air pump rated for 1000 gallon pond. Also ive put a shade over my pond (tarp lol). But this morning i had 2 dead fish and ny water test came back perfect last night when i tested. Idk whats going on. My temp this morning was between 83-85

Upvote 0

StarGirl

So since this post ive added a bigger pump to both my waterfall and main pump. Main pump is 880 gph and the waterfall pump is 350gph. Plus the addition of a air pump rated for 1000 gallon pond. Also ive put a shade over my pond (tarp lol). But this morning i had 2 dead fish and ny water test came back perfect last night when i tested. Idk whats going on. My temp this morning was between 83-85
Goldfish like cooler water, was it by chance the fantails that died? I think this may be why people have Koi and Comets in ponds.

Upvote 0

Cajun56

Its was a fantail and a commet that died. Should i maybe consider cichlids or sone other fish

Upvote 0

StarGirl

I really don't know anything about ponds or goldfish. I would wait to see if anyone else replies.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Depending on the tanksize you could do a Oscar. They like warm water and are pretty big so you’d see it clearly.

Upvote 0

Cajun56

Its a 175 gallon pond abd being that it gets really hot here in south Louisiana i may have to switch to a different fish.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Its a 175 gallon pond abd being that it gets really hot here in south Louisiana i may have to switch to a different fish.
You could probably fit three oscars in there, otherwise maybe consider angelfish? They like pretty warm water (80F) and you could always invest in a chiller if it gets too hot.

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

Well, the only issue I see is the size of the pond due to your region. Something deeper would have been preferable, but you did bury it right and you do have good filtration. I would encourage you to get a chiller to run on it during the daytime and maybe nights too. Getting a tropical fiah like an oscar or angel would cause the same problems in the winter, but worse, since goldfish are much more tolerant of temperature variations than they are. The deaths definitely sound oxygen related as with warm water and plants deplete the oxygen more at night when they use it to breathe.

Upvote 0

Cajun56

Its not buried it in raised box. Loke i said oxygen should be a problem now since i have a bigger pump for the filter and a air pump added to the pond which is rated for 1000 gallons. This is what it looks like as of now
20200620_130322.jpg

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

Sorry, i know it's in a box, but l thought you had dirt packed around it inside the box? If that is the case, you could keep that soil moist as well and it will keep the tank cooler as it evaporates.

Upvote 0

Cajun56

It does have dirt around it

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jtjgg
Replies
Views
Aquaholic
Replies