Fish dissapering?

Patchspud

Reaction score
I have had a school of 7 tiger barbs for about 2 - 21/2 years. they were all between 1 1\2 and 2 inches in size. They even bred successfully once. My question is they have all disappeared without a trace.

There must be something in my tank that took a dislike to them but I can't work out what.

I have a tank that is established over approx 10 years and nearly 100 gallons.

It is stocked with

approx 6 green barbs
2 Plecs 1 about 3 inches in length the other about 2 1\2 inches.
4 golden barbs
2 loaches (algae eaters)
6 pengins
2 cherry barbs

Also I had 3 clown loaches which were doing really well and they have also dissapeared.

Could it be something doesn't like the colours - they are similar

Any ideas as I have a tank ready which I could put the offenders in if need be before all my stock goes.

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
Hmmm...That's really wierd.....You haven't been fed a meal of fish 'n chips lately have you?? Sorry, not funny...But seriously, I can see a fish or two here and there and then get eaten by the tank mates...Not out of the question. But I'd think you'd notice a couple of clown loaches getting devoured in your tank.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
A couple of questions.
Do you have cats in your house? Doesn't matter if the lid is tight. Cats can get smart, and might be eating the fish.
Is there a possibility of another predator being in your house? Example: Some Florida homes are left more or less open, and there are aquatic snakes that love to eat fish. A predator could learn about the nifty little restaurant you've got going on and be invading at night.
Have you checked the filter? Is the bottom of the tube broken, leaving enough space for a fish to get sucked into it.
Are there little pieces of "fish jerky" behind your aquarium? I don't think either species lost is a jumper, but some fish act out of character for their species.

youngest-fish-nerd

Reaction score
they could be jumpung,
I lost a convict like the that, I don't know how she got out,
but she did,
check behind your stand,

OP
P

Patchspud

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments but I'm afraid non of them are the answer - The tank has a glass sliding lid and then a hood so no chance of jumping - I have no cats and don't live in Florida so no chance of snakes. Or non that I know of in Manchester England. The filter is fine - no breakages or fish size gaps in it and no bits of fish debris hanging around the tank. Something mus be eating them but I can't find out what.

Any more suggestions would be great. I'm open to anything now.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Patchspud said:
Thanks for the comments but I'm afraid non of them are the answer - The tank has a glass sliding lid and then a hood so no chance of jumping - I have no cats and don't live in Florida so no chance of snakes.  Or non that I know of in Manchester England.  The filter is fine - no breakages or fish size gaps in it and no bits of fish debris hanging around the tank.  Something mus be eating them but I can't find out what.

Any more suggestions would be great.  I'm open to anything now.
As far as I know, snakes are pretty foreign to the English Isles, so you've got that right. The lid would not only prevent jumping, but it would also prevent a sneaky predator from getting in. At the very least, the lit would remain open.
You say you have "loaches (algae eaters)". There are fish that are sold in America that are called "algae eaters" that get very belligerent when they grow older. I'm not sure if they could have done it. Also, once the offending fish has done the damage, the other fish might clean up the mess, so it would be pretty hard to tell if a "murder" had happened.
Unsure of what "pengins" are, but I'm guessing if you've got such a big school of them, they're pretty small.
Are you sure you don't have a pirahna hiding in the back of your tank? Or an eel under the gravel? Or a vug under the rug? (sorry, couldn't help the Suess reference.)

gmann21193

Reaction score
sirdarksol said:
Are you sure you don't have a pirahna hiding in the back of your tank? Or an eel under the gravel? Or a vug under the rug? (sorry, couldn't help the Suess reference.)

mcminnj

Reaction score
sirdarksol said:
A couple of questions.
Do you have cats in your house? Doesn't matter if the lid is tight. Cats can get smart, and might be eating the fish.
Is there a possibility of another predator being in your house? Example: Some Florida homes are left more or less open, and there are aquatic snakes that love to eat fish. A predator could learn about the nifty little restaurant you've got going on and be invading at night.
Have you checked the filter? Is the bottom of the tube broken, leaving enough space for a fish to get sucked into it.
Are there little pieces of "fish jerky" behind your aquarium? I don't think either species lost is a jumper, but some fish act out of character for their species.
I have 2 cats each are killers and 1 time I was cleaning my tank and took all my fish out ( approx 15 ) and my cats just sat and stared for ages we left them in the room and nuthing happened

vin

Well Known
Reaction score
<<Unsure of what "pengins" are, but I'm guessing if you've got such a big school of them, they're pretty small.>>

Penguins are a type of tetra. They get to be about 2" long.

New Threads