Fish Diseases

Discussion in 'Furallicah' started by Furallicah, Apr 8, 2010.

1. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I wanted to post a blog on a few fish diseases not a lot of people know about or how to treat. This is somthing people can reference for help. Tell me what you think.

Fish TB (Tuberculosis)
    This is one of the most dangerous diseases your fish can contract, and possibly you yourself if you are not careful. Fish TB is caused by the bacteria mycobacterium marinum. Which Human TB is caused by the bacteria mycobacterium tuberculosis. Not the difference. If you were to contract it its early stages is nothing more then a skin rash which is treatable. Its hard to really say where the bacteria might come into contact with your fish. But if it does here are a few things you should do. Never put your hands and arms into the aquarium if you have any from of open cut, even if it is scabed over it can still cause you to get infected, wear elbow length gloves when cleaning the tank or performing work on it. Do not start a siphon by mouth. When you are done working on your tank wash off your hands in clean water with soap. Or use alcohol if there are wounds. Some symptoms of the disease your fish might experience are. loss of appetite, fish remains in seclusion and out of site rapid breathing (respiration), eyes appear to be cloudy or "popping out", fish lies on its side near bottom of aquarium, stomach of fish appears to be sunken, whitish blotches on exterior sometimes these are red in more sever cases. Also the biggest sign of fish TB is skeletal deformaties.

There are two treatments to Fish TB I know of, but you have to act asap when the symptoms occure or it'll be to late. One is 40grams of streptomycin and isoniazid. Streptomycin can be found in some medicated fish foods which would be better for treatment. The other is Kanacyn (Kanamycin) and Vitamin B-6 for around a month.

Also another thing I fount to be interesting in fish. Internal Bleeding also known as Septicemia or Hemorrhagic Septicemia: Which first off it is a bacterial infection. Which it can be treated with Maracyn2 which is just the anitbiotic minocycline. Also for what I understand, Tetracycline & Erythromycin can treat Hemorrhagic Septicemia. Just fallow the regular dosage on the box's.

Internal Bleeding is hard to combat with out operation. But there are a few things you can do. Symptoms will often present itself as redness or dark discoloration under the scales any where on the body. It can be concentrated in one area or appear throughout. It may appear more visible around the face. The discoloration is often impossible to detect in dark or red colored fish. A wound that is grey, black or fuzzy or has discoloration around the wound site might be infected and antibiotic treatment should be started. Septicemia sometimes shows up as a secondary infection to Popeye, an infection that leads to the bulging of one or both eyes. On occasion, it may lead to Dropsy. Other symptoms may also present themselves in the form of sluggishness, loss of appetite, clamped fins or color loss.

Heres a few of my own suggestions for a more natural route. One, if any of the fish food you are using has garlic as an ingreadient stop using it asap. Garlic is a natural blood thinner which wouldnt help in this case. You want the blood to clot to stop the bleeding. Treatment should be clean heated water and stress coat. I would remove fish from the tank and into a Q-Tank for better treatment. Watch them or it closely, if you see any signs of blood comming out of him treat the water with a low dosage of salt...just low enough to have it in the water and that be it. St. John's Wort has been used on humans to treat internal bleeding. In a low dose it could be ok to use with your fish. But the only issue is it has to be consumed. A calcium rich diet and vitimin C will help control the bleeding so if you can try to get something with calcium in it in fairly high levels. You can use calcium pills for humans but just a micro peice disolved in water every two days will work. But make sure its just a calcium pill with no extra additives.

Most cases of this are reported in Great Lake fish....but there are cases in home aquariums.
    Referenced from my post https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/freshwater-fish-disease/68591-how-identify-internal-bleeding.html and

If you have any other disease you think I should write about let me know please. I'll keep my research up, if I find anything else I'll update every so often.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2010
  2. TedsTankWell Known MemberMember

It would be very helpful.
    See if it could be condensed for easy reading.

3. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

What do you mean? Like double spacing...?

4. FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

I wanted to add information to this blog as I have came across another thing that I can not seem to find a ton of information about.

(Tumor: is the name for a neoplasm or a solid lesion formed by an abnormal growth of cells (termed neoplastic) which looks like a swelling. Tumor is not synonymous with cancer. A tumor can be benign, or malignant, whereas cancer is by definition malignant.)-Wikipedia. Cancer is an extreamly rare occurance in tropical fish (aka most all aquarium fish) Tumors in fish can also be due to virus that has infected the fish. The bulk of all tumors found in fish are however result of genetic traits in that fish and hence not dangerous or a sign of problem. Also keep in mind Cancer is not a contagious disease you can get from contact. Though of course it isnt wise to go into a tank with open cuts and sores in the first place. However if the tumor is caused by a virus infection then you may want to take extra caution when working on the tank. Some people suggest that certian antibiotics can actually help with these tumors seeing they are more then likely sacs of puss build up from the infection. You can try tetracycline or erythromycin but in most cases theses are not strong enough to help the fish. You can talk to a vet and see what they suggest for further information.

(Most cancers and tumors found in fishes have no cure or treatment. Internal tumors or cancers are also not diagnosed until the advanced stages of the disease. And when it is identified early, the position and placement of the tumor often makes it inoperable. This is the main reason most fishes with tumors and cancers are terminated (euthanized).
    However, there are some tumors which are treatable. For instance, gill tumor, which is caused by a thyroid problem, can be treated by placing the fish in water medicated with iodine.) -PetMD

The best thing to do if you are not strong enough to euthanize your fish, is to simply make them as comfy as possable. Giving them a tank to their self with a low current, or with betta's a tank where they can rest near the surface so they don't have to struggle against to weight of the tumor to breath. Give them a loving home and do the best you can with them. Its sometimes all we can do.

I have a betta who has a tumor right now and it has been rather rough on me...I figured maybe I can give some form of comfort/help with this little addition to my uncommon disease blog.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice