Fish disappeared?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Kimberly4403, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

The last couple of days ive been doing head count on my SAEs and can only count 5 even today can only count 5.. Im going to move my rocks and see if its not in there but my corys nip in and out of the rock work and there much wider than my SAE?? Ill also pull canister filter apart and check in there but dont think it could fit in the inlet anyways? I checked parameters yesturday at 0, 0, 5 so if something was dead i should be getting ammonia readings? Unless my BNs/corys or other SAEs disposed of body??

Sent from my LG-D855 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  2. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

In a 75 you could have a fish die and not see a spike in anything. How big of fish is it? Juvi or adult?

3. SaturnValued MemberMember

Always check around your tank to see if the SAE jumped out. Due to having an open top tank, I've had quite a few fish jump out and they can go pretty far just flopping around. Check all around your tank and past that.

4. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Still a juvi but not the smallest one of my 6.. Ill move rocks and driftwood around tomorrow when i do water change wont have a chance today

Not completely open top only about 2cm gap between glass and tank edge front and back but checked around if it had my dogs probs would of found it before i ever would

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2015
  5. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

It's always weird when one disappears. But if its small enough it could have been completely consumed during the night before you knew it was dead. I've found skeletons before.

6. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

I think it was approx 5-7cm

7. TanksbyTimValued MemberMember

My guess is that either the fish could have escaped your tank, in which as you mentioned your dogs would probably have found the body before you would, or a more likely explanation is that the SAE is simply hiding. When you perform your water change and move the rocks around you may be able to find the fish.

8. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

This has happened before with one of my SAEs... I did normal head count during feeding time and noticed one missing. We looked all over and I have a lot of hiding spots. We must've spent 20 minutes before I noticed it was behind the canister intake tube. It somehow squeezed in there and got smushed...

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

9. amydebValued MemberMember

I don't know much about SAEs but was going to suggest looking behind your filter tubes.
    A few weeks ago, I was one short on my head count (glad I'm not the only one that does this!) and got to the point of moving everything in my tank, while I had someone else watching in case I missed the fish darting out. I was completely at a loss. The little bugger was behind the filter intake the whole time.

10. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

It must be a place where a lot of algae grow apparently if it's a common place to find a SAE...

11. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Well i checked all my pipes and heaters nothing behind them moved my driftwood and my rocks and still nothing pulled my canister apart... Nothing :/ strange!?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2015
  12. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

Youll never guess were i found my fish! After a week i saw something wriggling

Attached Files:

13. Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Is that an air pump tubing or?

14. Kimberly4403Well Known MemberMember

No its a canister tube.. Really thought i had looked carefully enough lol he seems happier now back with his friends never thought hed fit in the inlet pipe silly fish at least hes safe and sound probs had loads of food to eat in there too

15. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Wow! Glad your found it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice