Fish Diet

1. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandon Well Known Member Member

Hi guys, I'm wondering what is your fishes diet? Such as what do you guys feed them to vary their diet and how often do you feed them. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. A

Alex126 Valued Member Member

I feed my fish high end fish flakes. Once a day. Just enough for every one to have a few bites. 2 days out of the week I substute the flakes for frozen blood worms.

3. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

That's good. I feed my fish Omega One Super Color Flakes on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Wednesdays I feed Freeze Dried Bloodworms. Fridays I feed pellets and Crisps. Saturdays I feed them a mixture of different foods. Sundays I feed peas and Mondays I don't feed so the fish can digest their system well from feeding the peas. But I'm gonna substitute the mixture of foods on Saturdays with the Omega One Frozen Veggie Formula that I just bought. I think it's a nice variety.

4. A

Alex126 Valued Member Member

Wow!! Really nicely planed out!!! My fish don't like peas haha.

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

It really depends on what fish you have but a variety is always good.
    I now mostly have corys & Oto's with a few species of rasboras, the corys get brine shrimp, daphnia, cyclops, brine shrimp, bloodworm & a catfish pellet - not all on the same day of course!
    The Oto's get algae wafers & courgette they also like the catfish pellets, the rasboras get mini pellets & they love cyclops & baby brine shrimp

6. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

Very nice variety! I hope my fish like the frozen food I bought them. I try to give my fish different foods so they have a good diet

7. EricV

EricV Fishlore VIP Member

My fish get the following:

Omega 1 Super Color flakes
    New Life Spectrum small fish pellets
    Live Microworms
    Live mosquito larvae
    Frozen bloodworms
    Frozen baby brine shrimp
    Algae wafers
    Freeze dried tubifex worms
    Sinking carnivore wafers
    Live ostracods

There is no set rotation and I switch things up depending on the situation and what I'm trying to accomplish at the time. With the exception of fry or when I'm trying to induce a spawn my fish are usually only fed 4-5 times a week.

8. k

klj7678 Valued Member Member

9. M

Mamajin Fishlore VIP Member

10. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

Frozen or Freeze Dried?

11. M

Always frozen. I've heard too many people say they've (people not fish) had an allergic reaction to the freeze dried blood worms, so I've chosen to stick with the frozen cubes just in case.

12. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

Yeah I've heard that too. I feed my fish The Freeze Dried Ones. I will get Frozen Brine Shrimp soon. What do you think is better.? Frozen Brine Shrimp or Frozen Mysis Shrimp?

13. M

That's a great question... I've no idea lol. Perhaps you could Google and research it, and then let us know what you find? I would be very interested in knowing. Papajin has some frozen Mysis Shrimp in the freezer for his saltwater reef tank, but I've never thought about offering it to my own fish. Would be nice if we didn't have to buy different kinds!

14. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

I googled it and the majority of the people say that mysis shrimp is better. They said that mysis shrimp has more nutritional value. But I might just get both.

15. M

Great to know... thanks so much!!!

16. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

No problem

17. Siggi

Siggi Well Known Member Member

I feed mine twice a day, normally.
    One feeding is flakes (brand: Sera) mixed with Cichlid granules (brand: JBL).
    The other feeding I give my homemade food - no ash, no preservatives, no colourants... only beefheart, fish-fillet, prawns, spinach, cabbage, garlic and orange juice.

Sometimes, late evening (after lights-out) I feed some black mosquito larvae.

18. OP
    OP
    AquaticBrandon

That's awesome feeding your fish homemade foods! I just fed my fish this Omega One Frozen Veggie Formula and my fish love it! I'm happy the like it. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1407373277.827510.jpg

19. Mortisha

Mortisha Valued Member Member

Hikari Blood Red Parrot pellets soaked in vitachem, peas, frozen blood worms.

20. a

amdpayne Valued Member Member

I give my male betta Omega One flakes, and he seems to love them. I'm going to try pellets again with him, but he didn't seem crazy about them before.

I give my cherry barbs the same flakes, but last night I gave them a different kind... I think it was Tetra Color or something. They seemed to enjoy those too, but so far I'm guessing they're not picky eaters.