Fish Died This Morning, Parameters Look Ok

1. SSJ

SSJ Member Member

Woke up to realise one of my healthiest white tuxedo guppy died this morning. He was one of the healthiest, my nitrites are 0, ammonia between 0-0.25. what could be the issue?

2. Guppykid101

Guppykid101 Well Known Member Member

Whats the size of the tank? And what were his tank mates?

3. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

45 gallon tank, neon tetras, guppies, and some wild snails. Its a two month old tank..but looking at the parameters i feel its cycled now..not sure if im under feeding them..they go crazy when i feed them

4. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

5. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

How do i detect that.. please help me understand it. I did check the deadbody..it was perfectly fine

6. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

What’s your ph and nitrates? How often do you do water changes? How was the fish acting in the hours before he died? How old was he? How are the other fish acting? Eating? Could you post a few pics of your fish? Please? We’ll try to help all we can.

7. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

I dont have a ph and nitrAte tester. Fish was fine yesterday..she died at night..so i donno what the symptoms were before death. They r eating like crazy..all others look ok..tetras look dull in color. I did add some rock salt an hour back though

Din change water simce past two days as nitrites are low and fish looked happy

8. Gypsy13

Rock salt or aquarium salt? Did you completely dissolve it first? Also salt and snails don’t generally mix well. What type of test kit are you using?

9. s

smee82 Well Known Member Member

10. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

Rock salt, dissolved well in a mug of treated water. I really dont care about the snails as they r too much in number and r wild ones. I have API ammonia and nitrite test kit

I added salt just now. Not earlier when the fish died

11. Gypsy13

Rock salt (like ice cream salt) has impurities in it. Also, if your snails die, be sure to remove their little bodies promptly as they decay rapidly.

12. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

How do i check..if the fish is stressed? Guppies and tetras in my case

13. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

Another one died..i even did a water change...nitrites and ammonia reading again tested..all good. Help please !!!

14. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

You need to see what your nitrates are at. Take a sample to your fish store. They will test for you. Please, get a nitrate test kit too as it is just as important to watch as the ammonia and nitrite. The first 2 could be testing at 0 and still have sky high nitrates.

15. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

Do you have any Prime? Dose with that for now.

16. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

Added prime one cap. The pet stores here dont have any test kit. Im the most advanced .one way to lool at it

17. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

Can it be PH level? I added two plants recently

18. Ms rose

Ms rose Well Known Member Member

no i doubt the plants did this.
    you have had issues befor with these guppys, correct?
    if so perhaps the problem wasnt compleatly irraticated back then causeing deaths now

19. OP
    OP
    SSJ

SSJ Member Member

They
    They were absolutely fine since a while..donnow what spiked up causing the deaths