Fish died in new tank

coderedjulia

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I recently decided to go back into my fish hobby. I cleaned my tank. And drive an hour away to petsmart. Frustrated cause they stopped selling fish at 5:30. I returned another day and purchased 3 tetra glofish for my 10 gallon tank. I decided to do a fish in cycle. I put 1ml of prime to detoxify ammonia and full cap of seachem stability. I conditioned the water. I acclimated my fish and then hours later they all died. I saw them gasping for air and I noticed one gills looked red. I tried my best to save them by doing a 50% water change but they did not make it. I flushed one of the fish so I don’t think I will be getting a refund on one of them. I’m frustrated because I live very far from petsmart. I wish I could just send them photos of the fish and get a refund through the phone. I’ve decided to put my fish in the freezer and drive again over there to get a refund. Hopefully maybe I can get a refund on the third one but I doubt it. I’ve decided for the first time to do a fishless cycle. I’m going to try the ammonia method. Can someone explain me to how to do this? How long will it take? Do I keep adding ammonia until my tank is cycled and I put fish in it? So let’s say my tank is cycled. And later on I’m getting fish. That same day do I put a dose of ammonia in the tank before I put my fish in? Can I buy pure ammonia from Walmart? What brand do you recommend? It’s all I have. I also have Walgreens and HEB. I can’t spend anymore money online right now

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
coderedjulia said:
Hi everyone, I recently decided to go back into my fish hobby. I cleaned my tank. And drive an hour away to petsmart. Frustrated cause they stopped selling fish at 5:30. I returned another day and purchased 3 tetra glofish for my 10 gallon tank. I decided to do a fish in cycle. I put 1ml of prime to detoxify ammonia and full cap of seachem stability. I conditioned the water. I acclimated my fish and then hours later they all died. I saw them gasping for air and I noticed one gills looked red. I tried my best to save them by doing a 50% water change but they did not make it. I flushed one of the fish so I don’t think I will be getting a refund on one of them. I’m frustrated because I live very far from petsmart. I wish I could just send them photos of the fish and get a refund through the phone. I’ve decided to put my fish in the freezer and drive again over there to get a refund. Hopefully maybe I can get a refund on the third one but I doubt it. I’ve decided for the first time to do a fishless cycle. I’m going to try the ammonia method. Can someone explain me to how to do this? How long will it take? Do I keep adding ammonia until my tank is cycled and I put fish in it? So let’s say my tank is cycled. And later on I’m getting fish. That same day do I put a dose of ammonia in the tank before I put my fish in? Can I buy pure ammonia from Walmart? What brand do you recommend? It’s all I have. I also have Walgreens and HEB. I can’t spend anymore money online right now
I have never used ammonia personally and am cycling my 135 gal tank with 36 gold fish.
I started with 40, I have seen the ammonia method works amazingly on here and then not at all, some people have that touch and some dont,i know i do not.
Double dose the prime,it wont hurt the fish.
Get 5 goldfish and a bottle of tetras safe start.
And the t.s.s,throw the fish in and walk away from it.
The the fish do their job,let the filter media do its job and change the water in 2 weeks.
Sorry to do this to you again but BluMan1914. But you and I were just talking about this very thing earlier today hahah

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wrench said:
But you and I were just talking about this very thing earlier today hahah
Nothing to be sorry about.
Thanks for confirming that when used correctly, TSS+ does work.
Biggest problem is that people test their water too much during the process, and when they dont see results in the first week, or see the ammonia rise, they are quick to do a water change. All that does is remove the TSS+, which will cause the TSS+ not to work.
This is why I always mention, do not test the water. Now if you want to test the water just to see how the cycle is progressing, thats fine, but dont mess with the water at all.

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coderedjulia, if you would like me to explain how to use the bottled bacteria, let me know.
Also, I suggest that you use TSS+ for your bottled bacteria.bacteria. I've used it a couple of times, and it worked great.

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If you want to do a fishless cycle the only thing you need to add is a regular ammonia source. I usually use fish flakes to do this, but some people use pure ammonia. You must add ammonia regularly durring a fishless cycle to simulate fish waste. You know your cycle is beginning when ammonia turns to nitrite. When the nitrite turns to nitrate you are well on your way. The tank is cycled when it can fully convert all ammonia to nitrates in 24-48 hours. This usually takes a few weeks. Once the tank is cycled you can add fish a little at a time. Once you have fish you don't need to add anymore ammonia as the fish waste does that for you.

I would definitely not try and cycle your tank with goldfish. A ten gallon is much too small for them and feeder fish often carry disease. I like bottled bacteria, but they are hit and miss. They very widely depending on brand and how the bottle was stored and transported. I have bought many bottles that did not help cycle my tank at all, so I would not rely on them solely.

I'm not sure if it's different where you live, but Petco is not currently taking any returns or providing any live guarantee due to the corona virus, so I'm not sure you would be able to replace the fish even if you had the bodies. They also do not have the healthiest fish, which could have lead to why they died so quickly. If the only thing that was in the 10 gal tank was three glofish tetras, it should have taken more than a day for the ammonia to get high enough to kill them, unless you seriously over fed them.

If I where you, I would look into getting a liquid test kit so you can accurately monitor your water quality and determine if your pH and hardness is acceptable to keep black skirt tetras. I would also make sure you have a heater and a bubbler for them as well as a few places to hide.

FitSoldier

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
When I started my first tank, I used 100% pure ammonia to cycle. Cost me a few dollars for the bottle and I still have a ton left (don't know if these things expire).

I took a 1 gallon pail and dosed a few drops. An hour later, I test the water in the pail for ammonia. If it's around 2PPM (less than 5PPM), I multiply however much I dosed in the 1 gallon pail by however much my tank size was and dose the tank. Once you have the right amount of ammonia, don't touch the tank; just leave it. Eventually the ammonia will turn into nitrites. Continue dosing ammonia as usual. Once the nitrites are converted to nitrates, the beneficial bacteria has been established and the cycle is complete.

This can take a while. Took me a month for a 20 gallon.

When I restarted the hobby, I didn't want to go through the pains of a fishless cycle again so here's an idea: If you can get your fish second hand via Kijiji or Craigslist, you can just ask the person you're buying fish from for one of their filter cartridges. Offer to give them a new filter cartridge for their old (established with BB) cartridge. Put that cartridge in your tank and you insta-cycle your tank.

OP
coderedjulia

coderedjulia

Reaction score
Wrench said:
I have never used ammonia personally and am cycling my 135 gal tank with 36 gold fish.
I started with 40, I have seen the ammonia method works amazingly on here and then not at all, some people have that touch and some dont,i know i do not.
Double dose the prime,it wont hurt the fish.
Get 5 goldfish and a bottle of tetras safe start.
And the t.s.s,throw the fish in and walk away from it.
The the fish do their job,let the filter media do its job and change the water in 2 weeks.
Sorry to do this to you again but BluMan1914. But you and I were just talking about this very thing earlier today hahah
Thanks but I don’t want goldfish.
EmbersToAshes said:
If you want to do a fishless cycle the only thing you need to add is a regular ammonia source. I usually use fish flakes to do this, but some people use pure ammonia. You must add ammonia regularly durring a fishless cycle to simulate fish waste. You know your cycle is beginning when ammonia turns to nitrite. When the nitrite turns to nitrate you are well on your way. The tank is cycled when it can fully convert all ammonia to nitrates in 24-48 hours. This usually takes a few weeks. Once the tank is cycled you can add fish a little at a time. Once you have fish you don't need to add anymore ammonia as the fish waste does that for you.

I would definitely not try and cycle your tank with goldfish. A ten gallon is much too small for them and feeder fish often carry disease. I like bottled bacteria, but they are hit and miss. They very widely depending on brand and how the bottle was stored and transported. I have bought many bottles that did not help cycle my tank at all, so I would not rely on them solely.

I'm not sure if it's different where you live, but Petco is not currently taking any returns or providing any live guarantee due to the corona virus, so I'm not sure you would be able to replace the fish even if you had the bodies. They also do not have the healthiest fish, which could have lead to why they died so quickly. If the only thing that was in the 10 gal tank was three glofish tetras, it should have taken more than a day for the ammonia to get high enough to kill them, unless you seriously over fed them.

If I where you, I would look into getting a liquid test kit so you can accurately monitor your water quality and determine if your pH and hardness is acceptable to keep black skirt tetras. I would also make sure you have a heater and a bubbler for them as well as a few places to hide.
I’m wondering if adding the water in the tank the same day as introducing the fish in my tank had anything to do with their deaths. Along with the drops of prime I put in the gallons of water. I also put in one ml of prime to detoxify the ammonia. Noticed that the fish were gasping for air and after one died. I put in an additional one ml of prime. I tried to do additional water changes at that moment but it was too late. I checked the water perimeters and it said my ammonia was at 1ppm. It must’ve been heavier before the second dose of Prime that finished them off. I’m also very confused if that was my actual reading cause I heard prime screws up your readings and you have to wait 24 hours to get the real results. I’m also wondering if the way I cleaned out my tank had anything to do with it. I used white distilled vinegar to clean out water stained but I rinsed very good. This was the day before I got my fish. I used a towel to wipe the inside clean. I’m wondering if the new laundry detergent I used may have contributed to their death. It was gain that had fabric softener in the soap. Idk I’ve always used towels that I washed with laundry detergent in the washing machine to dry off my tank equipment and it never killed my fish, I don’t understand the return policy of the fish. I bought the fish during covid. Why couldn’t I return them?

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coderedjulia said:
Thanks but I don’t want goldfish.
You dont have to use Goldfish. Whatever fish you plan to stock the tank with can be used. Just make sure that use use the hardiest fish.

coderedjulia said:
I’m wondering if adding the tank in the water the same day as introducing the fish in my tank had anything to do with their deaths.
If you are stating that you filled the tank, and then added fish the same day that you filled the tank, then yes, its possible this is the reason your fish died.
If you want to know the proper way of using TTS+ the correct way, let me know.

OP
coderedjulia

coderedjulia

Reaction score
BluMan1914 said:
coderedjulia, if you would like me to explain how to use the bottled bacteria, let me know.
Also, I suggest that you use TSS+ for your bottled bacteria.bacteria. I've used it a couple of times, and it worked great.
I was thinking about doing this cause honestly I’m out of options. Was wondering if I could use prime as water conditioner right away with my TSS cause I heard that the prime can mess with the TSS cause it binds the ammonia making it useless to the BB in the TSS. I really don’t have time to wait 24 hours after I dose my water with prime. But I’ll do it if I have to. I’ll just have to put the water in today and wait till Saturday to get my fish. If you can explain to me how to do it then that will be great.

OP
coderedjulia

coderedjulia

Reaction score
BluMan1914 said:
You dont have to use Goldfish. Whatever fish you plan to stock the tank with can be used. Just make sure that use use the hardiest fish. If you could tell me how to use TSS that would be great. Thank you

If you are stating that you filled the tank, and then added fish the same day that you filled the tank, then yes, its possible this is the reason your fish died.
If you want to know the proper way of using TTS+ the correct way, let me know.
Ok well if that’s the case then I will fill the tank with water today and get the fish this weekend. If you could tell me the proper way to use TSS+ then that would be great. Thank you

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There’s a lot going on here. And some very knowledgeable folks helping out.

Maybe I’m missing something but I’m not sure how you reached those ammonia levels so fast unless you dumped a bunch of food in there with the fish. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia before adding in fish or other livestock?

You can double up on Prime but.. you can also over do prime. I don’t think that’s the issue since your ammonia was so high, however prime is a reducer and it limits the oxygen in the water. So you may have an awful combination there of toxic water they couldn’t breathe in.

They aren’t allowing returns because they don’t want you potentially bringing the virus into the store where I’m sure they are not equipped to handle decontamination for their employees.

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coderedjulia said:
I was thinking about doing this cause honestly I’m out of options. Was wondering if I could use prime as water conditioner right away with my TSS cause I heard that the prime can mess with the TSS cause it binds the ammonia making it useless to the BB in the TSS. I really don’t have time to wait 24 hours after I dose my water with prime. But I’ll do it if I have to. I’ll just have to put the water in today and wait till Saturday to get my fish. If you can explain to me how to do it then that will be great.
If you use Prime, you have to wait 24 hours before using TSS+.
So, if you are gonna get fish on Saturday, that means on Friday, add the Prime.
Now here is what you do:
When you get your fish on Saturday, and get them home to acclimate, during the acclamation, add the TSS+. You want to add it within 45minutes of putting fish in.
Once the fish are acclimated, and are in the tank, that is it.
For the next two weeks, dont do anything. That means no water testing, no adding water when it evaporates, and most of all NO WATER CHANGES!!!!!!!!!
You must give the TSS+ a chance to work its magic.
The only thing you will do is feed your fish, nothing else.
After the two weeks, do a 50-75% water change, test the water, and you should be cycled.
One other thing I suggest. Since you already have fish, and your tank is not cycled, you may be better off not buying new fish. Use the fish you already have , and do what I mentioned in this post.
I would do a 80-90% water change, add my Prime, wsit 24 hours, then put the TSS+ in.

OP
coderedjulia

coderedjulia

Reaction score
Addictedtobettas said:
There’s a lot going on here. And some very knowledgeable folks helping out.

Maybe I’m missing something but I’m not sure how you reached those ammonia levels so fast unless you dumped a bunch of food in there with the fish. Have you tested your tap water for ammonia before adding in fish or other livestock?

You can double up on Prime but.. you can also over do prime. I don’t think that’s the issue since your ammonia was so high, however prime is a reducer and it limits the oxygen in the water. So you may have an awful combination there of toxic water they couldn’t breathe in.

They aren’t allowing returns because they don’t want you potentially bringing the virus into the store where I’m sure they are not equipped to handle decontamination for their employees.
Maybe a picture of the fish could suffice? I’d hate to be out of $30. I’m already probably losing $10 of it due to the fact that I didn’t keep one of the dead fish. I went to Petsmart. Not Petco. Honestly I have no idea what happens. I’ve done fish in cycles before and they never died so quickly. I didn’t dump any fish food in there. I also used hardier fish like the betta fish. Tetra glofish seem like they die easily,

OP
coderedjulia

coderedjulia

Reaction score
BluMan1914 said:
Now here is what you do:
When you get your fish on Saturday, and get them home to acclimate, during the acclamation, add the TSS+. You want to add it within 45minutes of putting fish in.
For the next two weeks, dont do anything. That means no water testing, no adding water when it evaporates, and most of all NO WATER CHANGES!!!!!!!!!
After the two weeks, do a 50-75% water change, test the water, and you should be cycled.
One other thing I suggest. Since you already have fish, and your tank is not cycled, you may be better off not buying new fish. Use the fish you already have , and do what I mentioned in this post.
I would do a 80-90% water change, add my Prime, wsit 24 hours, then put the TSS+ in.
Thank you. I will try this out

OP
coderedjulia

coderedjulia

Reaction score
coderedjulia said:
Maybe a picture of the fish could suffice? I’d hate to be out of $30. I’m already probably losing $10 of it due to the fact that I didn’t keep one of the dead fish. I went to Petsmart. Not Petco. Honestly I have no idea what happens. I’ve done fish in cycles before and they never died so quickly. I didn’t dump any fish food in there. I also used hardier fish like the betta fish. Tetra glofish seem like they die easily,
Actually, now I remember the girl telling me that I could return the fish within 12 days if they die. Either Petsmart is allowing returns or she’s unaware of the new covid return policy. I’ll probably have to speak to a manager so I don’t waste my time driving there.

Addictedtobettas

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Bettas are not typically seen as hardier than most but glofish are genetically unique so there may be some issues there.

Also there could have been something from your towel, detergent and fabric softener residues can be fatal to fish. Especially heavy hitters like gain with perfumes added in. Maybe they weren’t as rinsed as other times.

I’ve not had great luck with petsmart fish and nearly all my petco bettas were sick from the get go so.. try another store if you can? Almost any other fish store may have healthier fish to start with.

OP
coderedjulia

coderedjulia

Reaction score
Addictedtobettas said:
Bettas are not typically seen as hardier than most but glofish are genetically unique so there may be some issues there.

Also there could have been something from your towel, detergent and fabric softener residues can be fatal to fish. Especially heavy hitters like gain with perfumes added in. Maybe they weren’t as rinsed as other times.

I’ve not had great luck with petsmart fish and nearly all my petco bettas were sick from the get go so.. try another store if you can? Almost any other fish store may have healthier fish to start with.
Ok so petsmart told me I could return the fish and even get a refund for the one I already disposed of. I’m thinking either putting the water in the same day as introducing the fish into the tank killed them or laundry residue could’ve killed them. How long does it take for the laundry residue to dissipate from the tank? It’s very difficult for me to rinse out the tank with gravel in it, I am keeping the gravel,

OP
coderedjulia

coderedjulia

Reaction score
BluMan1914 said:
Now here is what you do:
So another question, I’m buying the 3.38 oz. That’s the smallest they have at that store. That’s for up to 20 gallons. Would it be safe to dump the whole bottle in my ten gallon tank?

BluMan1914

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
coderedjulia said:
So another question, I’m buying the 3.38 oz. That’s the smallest they have at that store. That’s for up to 20 gallons. Would it be safe to dump the whole bottle in my ten gallon tank?
Personally, I would buy the biggest bottle they have.
You want to use the whole bottle, its a one shot deal.
Also shake the mess out of it. When you think you shook it long enough, shake it for another 5 minutes.

New Threads