Fish Died - Here Are The Water Parameters - Help!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by MattinCO, Apr 1, 2006.

1. MattinCONew MemberMember

I am so sad. :( Both of my fish died. :'( I did a test like you said
    Nitrate-- 0
    Nitrite-- 0
    Hardness-- 120
    Alkalinity-- 80
    pH-- 7.6 - 8.0

I don't know what to do now or what fish to put in my tank.....so all that i have are plants....what is a good tank starter....how many? how long?? ???
    I want a variety and colorful array of fish.....please help me...
    thanks a bunch!!

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

first of all, get an Ammonia test! That is more dangerous than Nitrites. Your fish probably died from the ammonia.
    Now that you don't have fish, please cycle fishless! This is much kinder because it doesn't subject the fish to high ammonia or nitrite levels. You can cycle the tank by either adding pure ammonia, or using fish flakes, a pinch twice a day. Once the tank is cycled, you can think about getting fish.

3. MattinCONew MemberMember

I didn't know that ammonia was in there thanks do you know how much that is going to be?

4. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

An ammonia test is relatively inexpensive. I think they are around $2.00 at Walmart. What kind are your other tests? If they are strips, I strongly recommend the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master test kit. It will have every test that you will need to get started. I'm so sorry about your fish. Read up on cycling, and please try again. I agree on the fishless cycle if you can find pure ammonia.

5. vinWell Known MemberMember

Ammonia, Ntrites and nitrates are all toxic, but the nitrites are more toxic than the ammonia which is more toxit than nitrates...Most fish can tollerate small amounts of ammonia 0 - .25 though you really want to stay with 0.... and nitrates <20....Nitrites are most dangerous and should never be present.......

Cycling fishless may be boring or unexciting, but worth it in the long run....

6. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I thought ammonia was the most toxic, and it got less toxic as it went through the cycle. ??? Anyway, ammonia should be at zero just like nitrite. But of course that will automatically happen if the tank is cycled.