Fish died and appeared out of no where

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by jokerrk, Dec 30, 2012.

1. j

jokerrk Valued Member Member

Hi,

Basically I had 6 female cobra guppies, 4 male guppies, 6 cory catfish, 3 weather loach and a few babies. I was unaware of my dad adding 2 more cory catfish in the tank last week, I was on work leave. Today I came home and I find 1 cory catfish dead, like his whole body was white, pieces were missing from him etc... I assume he was dead in the tank for quite some time now and wouldn't be surprised if he was for a few days now. What is the best thing that I could do right now to avoid any of the other fish dieing?
    I know he could've been sick and spread a disease in the tank, and I already had to take out one female guppy due to a white mouth and frozen gills before she affected the others.

Any advice to treat the tank?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to fishLore!
    The first thing I do If I notice any kind of problem is do a large water change.
    since you really don't have any symptoms to go on you don't want to start dumping meds in the tank.
    A water change and keep a close watch should give the information whether you need to do anything else.
    carol

3. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

To add to the above, test the water to ensure that the tank is cycled and still stable. Often when fish die and are left in the tank, as is your assumption, there is an immediate buildup of ammonia. And if this is the case, you will need to follow the larger water change with daily partial water changes until the tank stabilizes again.

4. B

Borngemini Valued Member Member

I'm having the exact same Problem x

5. OP
    OP
    j

I tested the water:
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    I did a 20% water change regardless just incase something was to arise. I will let the water settle down a bit and test the water again to see if it changed anything. Thanks for the input guys!

6. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

How long has your tank been set up? If the tank is cycled you should have some Nitrates.

What are you using to test with? If your using liquid be sure to shake the bottles well before testing.

Carol

7. OP
    OP
    j

The tank has been cycled about 1 month ago. I had a fishless tank with plants and gravel for about a month or so and had the spikes occur. I am about to go check the levels of everything right now. Be back in a few

8. B

Borngemini Valued Member Member

Hope you get it sorted, mine are the same but at least you have someone nice trying to help!

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2012
  9. OP
    OP
    j

Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
    Nitrate :0
    Nitrite : 0
    PH Lvl: 8.0

Tank has:
    5 female guppies
    5 cory catfish
    3 weather loaches
    4 male guppies

This is after the water change and such. Not sure why it is no longer cycled. Is it possible it's not cycled due to the fish being dead for so long in the tank?

10. f

fishlover123456 New Member Member

do a large water change and the dead cory was dead for a couple of days for sure remove him before the toxifies the water

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice