Fish died after trouble swimming, why?

pepguy

So I’ve had this tank for about a week now and bought these tetra glofish. Now about yesterday one of my pink tetras were having trouble swimming and would just keep flipping over. It finally died. Now this one has just died. There’s only about 1 more fish alive and was wondering if someone could help me identify why the fish died. I had tested all the water and the ph was a little high so I did add a tablet but that was after the pink one died. Any suggestions??

Attachments

• 7A7DCAAE-554C-4E15-85D5-DB0C9476DF14.jpeg
    7A7DCAAE-554C-4E15-85D5-DB0C9476DF14.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 26

tapwater

So I’ve had this tank for about a week now and bought these tetra glofish. Now about yesterday one of my pink tetras were having trouble swimming and would just keep flipping over. It finally died. Now this one has just died. There’s only about 1 more fish alive and was wondering if someone could help me identify why the fish died. I had tested all the water and the ph was a little high so I did add a tablet but that was after the pink one died. Any suggestions??
was it maybe a swim bladder issue?

Upvote 0

UnknownUser

was it maybe a swim bladder issue?
Let’s not jump the gun. With the issues OP mentioned, it could be literally anything. The #1 cause of fish death is an uncycled tank or improper maintenance, so let’s gather more information before making suggestions

Upvote 0

pepguy

Im guessing cycling the tank would probably be the reason they died, but I just don't get it. My friend literally just added fish to his tank with the correct chemicals and they are still living and it's been almost a year. My friend is the one who had helped me set it up. But I will give you all the water parameters.

Ammonia - 0.5 ppm
NO3 - 10 ppm
NO2 - 0.5pm
and PH is still around an 8.4

and this is only a 5 gallon tank, forgot to mention that.

Upvote 0

ZachG

Im guessing cycling the tank would probably be the reason they died, but I just don't get it. My friend literally just added fish to his tank with the correct chemicals and they are still living and it's been almost a year. My friend is the one who had helped me set it up. But I will give you all the water parameters.

Ammonia - 0.5 ppm
NO3 - 10 ppm
NO2 - 0.5pm
and PH is still around an 8.4
I use well water so my ph is high around 8.3. Yes ammonia and nitrite is definitely what did it, I would do water changes immediately to get it down and get an ammonia detoxifier if possible.

Upvote 0

pepguy

I use well water so my ph is high around 8.3. Yes ammonia and nitrite is definitely what did it, I would do water changes immediately to get it down and get an ammonia detoxifier if possible.
Dang. Im going to be doing a water change now. Also, I have a well. Do you think well water works better???

Upvote 0

ZachG

I know there are generally more chemicals and metals in city water, but I don’t think ones better than the other. As far as ph goes consistency matters the most. Fish in cycling can be stressful so feel free ask for advice, we’re here to help

Upvote 0

Papasmerf73

Prime will help you control the ammonia somewhat until it cycles. I have also had success using stability every day for a while until the cycling really starts. Check your water every day until you see 0 ammonia and nitrites.

Upvote 0

Broggy

for a fish in cycle, you have to feed once a week. once the water becomes better and better, you can start feeding them every 6 days, then every 5 days etc. don't worry about the fish, they can go surprisingly long without eating (around 2 months)

tip: feeding less= ammonia/nitrite don't reach toxic levels.

Upvote 0

Papasmerf73

Interesting. I know to feed lightly when fish in but I had never heard of the 6 days, 5 days thing. You learn something new every day on here.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I’ve found fish don’t do very well if they’re receiving no or very little food after 3 weeks. IMO It’d be a good idea to feed at least every 3 days.

Upvote 0

Papasmerf73

Yeah, true, I fast my fish on Sundays and I feel so guilty when every time I go near the tanks they all come to the front. It makes me not want to sit and watch them on Sundays.

Upvote 0

pepguy

for a fish in cycle, you have to feed once a week. once the water becomes better and better, you can't start feeding them every 6 days, then every 5 days etc. don't worry about the fish, they can go surprisingly long without eating (around 2 months)

tip: feeding less= ammonia/nitrite don't reach toxic levels.
OMG I have not done this. Im now worried about my other tank. Because I haven't been gradually feeding them. But there isn't any ammonia in that tank currently, just a high PH. I have been feeding them twice a day cause that's what my friend told me to do. I should have done more research.
OMG I have not done this. Im now worried about my other tank. Because I haven't been gradually feeding them. But there isn't any ammonia in that tank currently, just a high PH.
Thank you all for the replies and suggestions, I am learning so much from this forum. If you have any other suggestions I can do. I did a water change to the tank and added a ammonia remover tablet. I am hoping maybe this one fish can survive but not likely since it's already gotten alot of it.

Upvote 0

UnknownUser

I’m willing to bet twice a day is overfeeding the other tank. Fish need surprisingly less food than you expect, so overfeeding is a common problem. If you want advice on how much to feed you should start a new thread for it since this one is about cycling.

#1 thing you can do for the fish is to look up the Nitrogen Cycle. It can feel a bit complicated at first, but it’s really simple once you figure it out and it is absolutely essential to fishkeeping.

For now, since one fish is still alive, do water changes often enough to keep the ammonia AND nitrites COMBINED lower than 1ppm and use Seachem Prime as your conditioner to help detoxify ammonia. Eventually you will see less and less ammonia+nitrites until they are constantly at 0 forever. And that’s it you’re done cycling!

Pro tips: don’t replace filter media like they tell you to on the box. It keeps the bacteria for your cycle and tossing it monthly restarts a new cycle. Only rinse it when it’s nasty in TANK water during water changes. Tap water will kill the bacteria.

Those are the basic beginners steps to setting up an aquarium with a fish-in cycle. Good luck!

Upvote 0

MasterPython

Can you get some cycled media from your buddy that set up the tank? A sponge out of thier filter put into yours or a handful of gravel in a mesh bag would help thing along. Make sure it stays wet all the way to your place.

Otherwise keep up with the water changes and water conditioner. And stop feeding for a few days they won't starve.

Upvote 0

Broggy

I’ve found fish don’t do very well if they’re receiving no or very little food after 3 weeks. IMO It’d be a good idea to feed at least every 3 days.
I guess that's true. but if the fish are being poisoned by the water, then I just put my foot down and stop feeding them like that.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

I guess that's true. but if the fish are being poisoned by the water, then I just put my foot down and stop feeding them like that.
Feeding every 3 days isn’t going to cause an issue with the water, as long as water changes are being done.

Upvote 0

smalli

It says you don't know about the nitrigon cycle it could be that did you put anything into the tank to declorniate it? and please fill out the emergency template

Upvote 0

pepguy

It says you don't know about the nitrigon cycle it could be that did you put anything into the tank to declorniate it? and please fill out the emergency template
Yea, I put Aqua Safe in before I put fish in and Tetra Safe start, as well as some Easy Balance. They were all fine until the smaller one started dieing on me and then the rest of them died. Clearly the tank wasn't cycled right and am learning my mistakes now. Hopefully I can get this tank cycled and get more fish back in it!!!

Upvote 0

smalli

Yea, I put Aqua Safe in before I put fish in and Tetra Safe start, as well as some Easy Balance. They were all fine until the smaller one started dieing on me and then the rest of them died. Clearly the tank wasn't cycled right and am learning my mistakes now. Hopefully I can get this tank cycled and get more fish back in it!!!
oh you should of waited about 24 hours then test AND THEN add fish but you are learning so thats good!

Upvote 0

UnknownUser

oh you should of waited about 24 hours then test AND THEN add fish but you are learning so thats good!
I’m sorry but this is wrong. You don’t just cycle a tank in 24 hours. OP has been directed to learn about the cycle, and you should as well. A cycle does not happen overnight, nor does it happen just from adding bottled bacteria. It is very important to fully understand the cycle before advising others so their fish don’t end up dying on ill advise.

Upvote 0

smalli

I’m sorry but this is wrong. You don’t just cycle a tank in 24 hours. OP has been directed to learn about the cycle, and you should as well. A cycle does not happen overnight, nor does it happen just from adding bottled bacteria. It is very important to fully understand the cycle before advising others so their fish don’t end up dying on ill advise.
yea i ment like adding fish if your test is good but still otherwise

Upvote 0

pepguy

T
Thank you for this, I have done my research and read it could take weeks, I bought some Fluval Biological Enhancer, does this stuff actually speed up the process??

Upvote 0

Broggy

I think fluvial is confused lol. all that stuff does as said on the label is detoxifying ammonia nitrite nitrate. it doesn't slow down the process though, just makes the water fish safe for a day or 2. the real problem must be fixed.

Upvote 0

UnknownUser

T

Thank you for this, I have done my research and read it could take weeks, I bought some Fluval Biological Enhancer, does this stuff actually speed up the process??
They sell lots of chemically products on the market to make money off of those who want best for their fish. I spent hundreds of $$ on things I never needed because of marketing scams like this. All you need to make tap water safe for tanks is a conditioner. ANY water conditioner. We at fishlore tend to recommend the conditioner Prime, because it makes up to 1 ppm of ammonia Nontoxic for 24 hours which may ease the fish’s discomfort during a cycle. Anything else is unnecessary.

Upvote 0

pepguy

They sell lots of chemically products on the market to make money off of those who want best for their fish. I spent hundreds of $$ on things I never needed because of marketing scams like this. All you need to make tap water safe for tanks is a conditioner. ANY water conditioner. We at fishlore tend to recommend the conditioner Prime, because it makes up to 1 ppm of ammonia Nontoxic for 24 hours which may ease the fish’s discomfort during a cycle. Anything else is unnecessary.
Good thing I bought the prime as well.

Upvote 0

MasterPython

yea i ment like adding fish if your test is good but still otherwise

Your water will always test good after 24 hours because it is clean, you don't even need to wait that long if you use water conditioner.

The second a fish goes in the ammonia starts building up and from that point on you are doing a fish in cycle. That means a few weeks of monitoring and changing water to keep the fish alive while the tank builds up bacteria.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Lira
Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies
Views
NearMeBettas
Replies