Fish die off due to parasites, how long should I leave the tank empty?

jvdb

I'm slowly having a die off in my tank due to parasites that I cannot seem to cure. I'm on my second treatment of prazI pro and have treated with nox ich as well. Water parameters are good, the parasites were introduced by me being stupid and not quarantining new fish. Symptoms are flashing, lethargy, clamped fins, and eventual death.

I'm not ready to give up on this thing yet, I may do a third treatment of prazi-pro, or possibly even formalin but I'm getting prepared for the worst. There were only 5 guppies and 3 bolivian rams in the tank but most are showing at least some symptoms and I've had 3 deaths.

My actual question is, if I have a complete die off in this tank, how long should I leave it empty so that the parasites die off without a host? (I'll add ammonia to keep cycled). Second, can mystery snails act as a host? I want to eradicate the parasites from the tank, but it is planted so not as easy as just removing everything and disinfecting.

Jenbug0901

So sorry you have troubles! I'm no expert, but to answer your question; I think it really depends on the parasite. For example, raising your temperature can kill off ich fairly quickly, but it can live a lot longer in colder temps. If it were me, I'd sterilize the tank and start over if it killed off all my fish. I've heard of people bleaching their plants to sterilize them with good results. Otherwise, I'd wait about a month before adding new fish. If your snails and plants are doing ok in that time, then maybe you'll be safe. If you go that route, I'd just add one or two fish, then wait a couple weeks before adding more. If those fish were to get sick, I would definitely go for sterilizing everything. Hopefully you will get a handle on whatever it is and not have to do any of this! Best of luck!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Corycat
Replies
Views
Dotrenrew
Replies
Views
maggie thecat
Replies
Views