Fish did not arrive in the mail!

1. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

So I had two-day delivery on two wonderful killifish and they were supposed to arrive today... only they never did!!!

The breeder, of course, has a DOA policy and even has the package insured, but I still hate to think I could end up with two dead fish. I know they aren't in breather bags and I'm worried about the crazy warm temperatures in my area...

USPS... you have failed me fore the last time. :;darth

2. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

If you have a tracking number, look it up and find out the exact delivery date it was supposed to have. 2 day packages arrive on day 3 to my town 90% of the time. As do express packages when not sent on the right day... lol.

3. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, look up that tracking number. Were you home all day to receive the package? I think the air is a bigger issue than the temps.

4. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

It was supposed to get here today (shipped monday). It's sitting in a warehouse at the moment...

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

5. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

I've heard of this happening to some people and they just went and picked the fish up from the warehouse themselves. Is it close to you? You could go pick them up.

6. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I'll have to check. .. it's already in my state so I suspect delivery could just be a day late. ..

Sent from my SM-N900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. Mortisha Member Member

Best of luck. I had recently ordered 3 rabbit snails and planned the delivery date for a day I knew I'd be home. Well the seller forgot my order and shipped them on another day so delivery ended up being on a day I wasn't home and I had no one to look out for it. Needless to say 2 of the snails were dead. The seller did make good and sent me 2 more because it was his oversite but I still felt horrible that they had died.

8. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, my seller has no DOA policy other than, if the USPS fails, file it with them...

Really, I just want the fish to be safe and sound.

9. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

As a side note, ALL usps priority packages now have free $50 insurance, just in case someone claims they get it 'insured', it's actually a free service now so they really aren't doing any personal favors. Not saying that's the case here, but for future reference.

If it's only been since monday then they should be ok if/when they arrive tomorrow.

10. Mortisha Member Member

Wow! No DOA policy? I def I wouldn't do business with them again. I hope the fish are ok too.

11. junebug Fishlore Legend Member

The package may also have been sent via a carrier that holds live animals. If something is marked and a UPS plane flies it from one state to another, their policy is to hold the package for an extra day (which is stupid) if it's labeled "Live Fish" or similar.

The USPS will not issue insurance payouts on packages that arrive within a two week timeframe, just an FYI . Since there is no guaranteed delivery date for priority packages, which is why many sellers don't offer a DOA guarantee on fish sent priority.

That said, if the fish arrive one day late, unless they were severely mishandled or not prepped properly, there is no reason they should be in any worse shape than they'd have been if they arrived today. Honestly I wouldn't worry too much :) Like I said I frequently receive packages late, even packages sent express mail, and have had only a slim few fish arrive DOA. In fact of the three that ever have, only one arrived late and that was at Christmastime when the temps here were below freezing.

12. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

Phishphin, any update on your fish, I hope they arrived ok :)

13. Mortisha Member Member

My 1st online fish order was with The Tropical Wet Spot. It was for 6 nerite snails and 6 golden zebra loaches. They were shipped via FedEx next day air, they arrived in a box that had insulated styrofoam and the bags had plenty of water and air. The snails and fish were in great shape and they came all the way from Oregon to Virginia. I wanted to order the rabbit snails from them but they don't offer them. Keep us updated.

14. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

I will definitely update everyone when they do arrive, hopefully today!! I don't think the seller is a bad one, I've purchased from him before. He's just very honest with what to expect and how the various mailing services work. He's shipped things very well to me in the past. Do I think it's good business to not refund or at least discount a repurchase after a DOA? Yes. But the Killis I've gotten in the past have always been nice quality.

15. Fishy Friends Well Known Member Member

I received my betta boy 2 days late in the cold weather of February 2014. He was in a small small amount of water & there was no heat left. Happily he survived & is a thriving feisty boy. I wish the same for you!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

16. Mortisha Member Member

It may be a good idea to call your local post office to make sure their gonna be delivered today because there is no mail delivery tomorrow because of the Fourth of July.

17. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

"The item is currently in transit to the destination".

It was apparently processed in the Philadelphia warehouse last night, which is about 15 miles from my home.

18. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

Fish are here!!! My two killi girls are safe and sound. My male killi is also thrilled.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

I'm soo glad they are ok :)

20. FiscCyning Member Member

Happy to hear they made it safely! That male is just gorgeous!