Fish Diagnosis Please Help Important | Page 2

1. IceFyre1414

IceFyre1414 Well Known Member Member

It's probably the filters in that case, the beneficial bacteria that causes the cycle lives in the filters so changing them both within a period of less than 6 weeks or so would cause your cycle to restart. Unless your filters are broken, you don't need to change them.
    As I said before, the nitrites showing is an improvement over your previous conditions. In about 4-6 weeks, the tank should be cycled. In the meantime, you're now in a fish-in cycle, which isn't great for your fish. if you can find Prime water conditioner, use it as it detoxifies ammonia, and do water changes as often as possible to keep the ammonia and nitrite in safe ranges.
    Best of luck:)

2. OP
    OP
    CanadianJoeh

CanadianJoeh Well Known Member Member

That's good to hear, thank you.

Like I said, my water was honest to god great and my fish were doing really well until just now.

Should Nutrafin Aqua Plus do the trick? Or should I head to Dyno and pick something else up?

P.S. Normal Dyno guy is super knowledgeable and has helped me a lot... then as soon as I listen to some other guy at Dyno, who tells me I can change 2 filters in 2 weeks, this crap happens. Ugh...

3. IceFyre1414

Nurtafin Aqua Plus should be fine if you're willing to really stay on top of the parameters, but since you're in a cycle, Prime would be safest since it detoxifys the ammonia and nitrites.
    It's always best to do your own research first; most pet store employees in my experience don't quite know what they're talking about. There are some good ones of course, but in most places they are the exception rather than the rule.

4. OP
    OP
    CanadianJoeh

So should I lay low and allow it to cycle?

5. IceFyre1414

Yep, just make sure to keep on top of the parameters.

6. OP
    OP
    CanadianJoeh

Cool thanks!

Vacuumed out about 20-25% of my water today while cleaning gravel, replaced it with Nutrafin Aqua plus treated water, added some Nutrafin cycle plus, and just bought Prime tonight to add to my water when I get home.

Fed my fish two microwaved, de-shelled peas. They went crazy for them. I'm also cutting down on food a little bit to see if maybe I've been overfeeding.

They're swimming around a lot more and seem healthier already.

7. OP
    OP
    CanadianJoeh

UPDATE:

After talking to the manager at my local Dyno Store (he's got over 20 years of experience), listening to the knowledgeable fish-gods of Fishlore, and doing some research myself, I am happy to say my new water parameters are

Temperature- 23 C
    pH- still around 7.6
    Ammonia: Test reads in between 0 and .25 (API test for ammonia is sketchy)
    Nitrites: 0
    Nitrates: 10 ppm

My cycle is back,
    Thank you for all your help.

8. OP
    OP
    CanadianJoeh

To whom it may concern,

The 2 bloodfins and zebra danio have been rehomed to a couple nearby who have 6 different aquariums, including a 90 gallon.

Glad to have been able to do the right thing.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted