Fish dead after joining the tank

BENT17

Hi all,

So My tank has been up since February.. Its a 200L planted tank.
Lights go on for 6 hours
CO2 goes on 2hrs before lights
Air stone goes on 1hour after Co2 goes off and remains till the following day 1hour before co2 goes back on.

Ammonia 00ppm
nitrite 0ppm
nitrate 5ppm

I had fish in the tank after the tank was cycled.

Fish:

Ammanos
Neocaridina Shrimps
Ottos
Cardinal Tetras
Galaxy Damnios
Rasboras

I got a couple of new fish

6 Cardinal Tetras
2 Ottos
10 Red Tetras
8 Black Skirt Tetras

Morning after I found 4 Cardinal tetras and the morning after that another 2 tertras dead.

I noticed that the new cardinals had their back tails bitten off so I said ok they died cos of that but I found two of my old tetras dead also this morning..

I dripped acclimated them for 2 hrs bdw

Help??

GlennO

Difficult to say but I’ll throw out a few possibilities:
  • The new fish carried some disease. Any signs?
  • The introduction of the new fish caused a temporary ammonia spike.
  • Heater malfunction?
  • Some of the new fish (maybe the skirts) are attacking the cardinals.
What are red tetras? Red phantoms?

Upvote 0

pagoda

Is this the same aquarium that lost Harlequins and other fish, has CO2 running...and seems to have every single gadget and gizmo inside it?

You have been losing fish many times, these are not the first.

Until you figure out the original reason why you keep losing fish, you really should not add more of them.

Upvote 0

BENT17

The cardinals which entered the tank I realised that they had the back of their fins like they were bitten.. The black tetras are much bigger but shouldnt attack them and I didnt see any signs of damage on the fish.. Heater is off due to the heat and is at a constant 24.8-25.5 in the tank
Is this the same aquarium that lost Harlequins and other fish, has CO2 running...and seems to have every single gadget and gizmo inside it?

You have been losing fish many times, these are not the first.

Until you figure out the original reason why you keep losing fish, you really should not add more of them.

Yes thats me.. I thought the problem was solved with the airstone thats why I got new fish one month after they were dying. Once I had added the airstone no fish died

Upvote 0

Linda1234

The nipping could have occurred before death but it could also have happened after death. How much is your ph dropping due to co2 - i.e, are you sure the co2 level is not too high ? Anyway as pagoda said there are too many unknowns to give much in the way of suggestions with the information you have provided.

Upvote 0

pagoda

The nipping could have occurred before death but it could also have happened after death. How much is your ph dropping due to co2 - i.e, are you sure the co2 level is not too high ? Anyway as pagoda said there are too many unknowns to give much in the way of suggestions with the information you have provided.

The pH had been dropping alot in previous posts made by this owner. Way too much of a drop tbh. The aquarium is not overly heavy planted either, from previous threads, so was questioned as to why need the CO2.

Upvote 0

John58ford

This is my honest advice:
1. quarantine all new fish. Get a smaller tank or temporary tub just for this, not just 2 days, keep the new fish in there for a few weeks, I typically do 3 months if there were any deaths in the batch or treatment required.

2. When you buy new fish, try to only buy one species at a time. At the least, try to buy out of the same tank or shipment if possible. Buying and quarantining one species makes it much simpler to treat if you need to and stops you from creating your own perfect storm if multiple shipments came with multiple different diseases.

3. For the last week or more of your qt, water change from your display into your qt and watch for behavior and illness. This will help you identify any display tank issues you may be having.

4. Quarantine.

Edit* basically all of it, my keyboard app was trolling me.

Upvote 0

BENT17

Thanks guys, it could be that the strongest survived in my tank from my previous purchases..

Finally Monday I get my pro ph tester and I will be able to log the ph throughout the day as with the api test kit its kinda hit or miss.

The nipping either happened at the shop or on the way to home as I noticed immediately and informed the owner

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Patman0519
Replies
Views
Patman0519
Replies
Views
jpm995
  • Question