Fish Cycling

SoldSpartan

So is adding 10 neon tetra to a 20 gallon tank to much to use for cycling?

nikm128

I would say no because they have a really small bio load. Are you familiar with the process and extra care needed with a “fish-in” cycle?

kcopper

Neon tetras are notoriously delicate fish. You will likely lose a lot of them but it’s really up to you. Stick with some livebearers or other hardy fish.

nikm128

True, but if done correctly a fish in cycle will be almost harmless

SoldSpartan

Looks like I am going to put all three of the neon tetras I've got back in the 20 gallon tank from the probably to small 5.5 gallon tank.

Elkwatcher

kcopper said:
Neon tetras are notoriously delicate fish. You will likely lose a lot of them but it’s really up to you. Stick with some livebearers or other hardy fish.
I agree, Danio's would be better.. hardier.

SoldSpartan

Don't Neon Tetras do better in a 20 gallon tank over a 5.5 gallon one? Even if it is still cycling.

Elkwatcher

SoldSpartan said:
Don't Neon Tetras do better in a 20 gallon tank over a 5.5 gallon one? Even if it is still cycling.
I also find them delicate regardless of tank size.

nikm128

Yes, bigger is always better for the fish. Are you familiar with how to properly cycle a tank with fish though? If not I would wait to move them over

SoldSpartan

nikm128 said:
Yes, bigger is always better for the fish. Are you familiar with how to properly cycle a tank with fish though? If not I would wait to move them over
I know I should measure the ammonia and nitrite twice a day, and change out the tank water accordingly.

SoldSpartan

Did it again

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom