Fish Cycling

  • Thread starter

SoldSpartan

Valued Member
Messages
438
Reaction score
46
Points
63
So is adding 10 neon tetra to a 20 gallon tank to much to use for cycling?
 

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,407
Reaction score
3,802
Points
448
Experience
5 years
I would say no because they have a really small bio load. Are you familiar with the process and extra care needed with a “fish-in” cycle?
 

kcopper

Valued Member
Messages
102
Reaction score
90
Points
38
Neon tetras are notoriously delicate fish. You will likely lose a lot of them but it’s really up to you. Stick with some livebearers or other hardy fish.
 

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,407
Reaction score
3,802
Points
448
Experience
5 years
True, but if done correctly a fish in cycle will be almost harmless
 
  • Thread starter

SoldSpartan

Valued Member
Messages
438
Reaction score
46
Points
63
Looks like I am going to put all three of the neon tetras I've got back in the 20 gallon tank from the probably to small 5.5 gallon tank.
 

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Messages
1,252
Reaction score
1,380
Points
183
Experience
More than 10 years
kcopper said:
Neon tetras are notoriously delicate fish. You will likely lose a lot of them but it’s really up to you. Stick with some livebearers or other hardy fish.
I agree, Danio's would be better.. hardier.
 
  • Thread starter

SoldSpartan

Valued Member
Messages
438
Reaction score
46
Points
63
Don't Neon Tetras do better in a 20 gallon tank over a 5.5 gallon one? Even if it is still cycling.
 

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Messages
1,252
Reaction score
1,380
Points
183
Experience
More than 10 years
SoldSpartan said:
Don't Neon Tetras do better in a 20 gallon tank over a 5.5 gallon one? Even if it is still cycling.
I also find them delicate regardless of tank size.
 

nikm128

Fishlore VIP
Messages
7,407
Reaction score
3,802
Points
448
Experience
5 years
Yes, bigger is always better for the fish. Are you familiar with how to properly cycle a tank with fish though? If not I would wait to move them over
 
  • Thread starter

SoldSpartan

Valued Member
Messages
438
Reaction score
46
Points
63
nikm128 said:
Yes, bigger is always better for the fish. Are you familiar with how to properly cycle a tank with fish though? If not I would wait to move them over
I know I should measure the ammonia and nitrite twice a day, and change out the tank water accordingly.
 
  • Thread starter

SoldSpartan

Valued Member
Messages
438
Reaction score
46
Points
63
Did it again
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom