(Fish Cycle) Ammonia, and Nitrite won't drop.

1. FishTankPerson

FishTankPerson Valued Member Member

Hello I got a fish tank about 4 weeks ago, and I have been doing a cycle with fish. The fish have been doing fine (Black Moore), and (Mollie). The ammonia and nitrite have been staying at one, and haven't dropped nor wen't up. I no this is not good for the fish, and I read that the ammonia should have dropped to 0 by now. What am I doing wrong, I have had to change the water a lot because of it. I even bought the ATM Colony bottle, and it's been a week with no affects.

2. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to the forum :)

What size tank are your fish in? And what testing kit are you using? Are you doing any water changes to bring the ammonia/nitrite down? I would imagine not enough water changes are the cause of those levels not decreasing as well as the bioload of those two fish which are very high waste producers.

Also, the goldfish prefer much colder water than the molly. It's usually not a good idea to keep those two types together. I would pick one and rehome the other unless you can set up another tank.

3. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

4. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

I have a 30 gallon fish tank. I'm using the freshwater master kit. I did a water change the other day, but the ammonia must be coming from the gravel.

5. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

I kind of accidentally pored half the bottle of the stress coat + on the first day:(. Does that have any affect? The fish seem to be doing fine so far.

6. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

How much water did you change out? Do you have any nitrates? Can you also test your water source for all 3 and post them?

Assuming you have no ammonia or nitrites in your tap, a 50% water change along with a good gravel vac should bring those numbers down to 0.50.

Your water change should have removed the conditioner your poured in. If your fish are acting ok, I wouldn't worry.

You may want to switch out your conditioner to one that also detoxifies ammonia and nitrite. Seachem Prime is one that's highly recommended here.

7. Aquaphobia

What kind of filter are you running?

8. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

I changed about 40% of the water
    Today: Nitrate: 3 ppm Ammonia: 1.4 ppm Nitrite: 1 ppm Ph: 8
    Tap water has good filter, and has 0 of everything. Ph is 7.4

I also have 2 species of plants.

9. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

Whisper EX45 advanced filtration sysyem

10. Aquaphobia

What kind of filter are you running on your tap?

11. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

It turns out I haven't been using the tap with the filter, but the ammonia, and nitrites on it are 0. I also don't know if I should change the water, because the bacteria in a bottle I am using says don't change water for 4 days?

12. Aquaphobia

Does it say anything on the bottle about adding water conditioners? I would just dose the whole tank. If you have Prime then you can go up to 5 times the dose according to the instructions. That will at least keep your fish safe!

13. OP
    OP
    FishTankPerson

No it didn't say anything about adding water conditioners. I just added the rest of the water conditioner which was almost the exact amount to treat 30 gallons

Also should I get a refund on the ATM Colony, or has it done it's job?