fish counting Question

Discussion in 'Funny Stuff' started by AlanGreene, Jan 13, 2013.

1. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I just realised the other day that when I look at my fish tank the first thing I do is count all the fish a few times to make sure they are all there, then I chill out and watch then swim for 10/15 minutes and then... I count them again to make sure they are all still there LOL! does anyone else so this??

2. YeoyWell Known MemberMember

I do this quite often. It can be very hard depending on if you have fish that like to hide, inverts or quick-moving fish. Or fry. Counting fry is a nightmare!

3. JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

I'm always looking for specific fish when I watch my tank, they all have their own quirks and sometimes I just want to check on one to see if he's getting bullied.

4. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

I do the fish counting too. Yesterday morning got all worried because one was missing, but my seven year old found her hiding in the java moss.

5. hoboValued MemberMember

Yes, I always count the fish every day it is hard with my Tiger barbs darting around as they do, usually always one short so I have to try to find the missing one and start over.
    What is harder is trying to find all nine nerite snails, in a planted tank I am often missing one or two, sometimes searching for 10 minutes to spot them all. I used to have ten Nerites but I am sure I accidently threw one in the garbage it must have attached itself to a plant I pruned I did not notice it missing for a few days I was so mad at myself. Now all the cuttings goes into a bucket half full of tank water for a vigorous shaking to make sure there are none hiding in the plants

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Thats sucks about your snail, it happens though don't beat yourself up too much!

7. fresh waterValued MemberMember

yes I count my school of cardinal tetras, But trying to count 22 cardinals in a 135 gallon tank sure is difficult, usally takes a few times and still not really sure if they are all there

8. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

You know this thread reminds me: I once met a woman whose job it was to count the fish passing a dam on a river, I believe in Washington State. I think her job was funded by the government, and was to determine whether the fish population was endangered or something like that.

9. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

I had a school project that was doing that! (more like child labour infringements by the government lol!) We also had to count cars on a motor way as they went by... Fun fun... :D

10. kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

That sounds like bonafide torture!

I also count my fish obsessively. Minor heart attack every time I miss one. I can only imagine what having children will be like!

11. ayladWell Known MemberMember

Easier to count, hopefully. :p

12. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

haha depends on how many you have I guess, look at home alone sure!! :)

13. ZiggiWell Known MemberMember

I count when the lights go on and before lights off :) It's obnoxious counting my Cory mob since they sit still then move when I'm not looking. I do a sweep and if I come up short, I start over until I can see all 8. NOT easy with a planted tank!!! The Gold Pristella Tetra are easier! "3 + 3 ... oh! done!" :D

14. psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

Only when I set up an aquarium or transfer fish. I only look for certain ones now. I'm more relaxed once the tank is established.

15. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

+1 to what psalm said

16. beginnerValued MemberMember

i dnt even know off hand how many mbuna's i have but i just watch them so much i can tell in two minutes they're all there

17. mosaicguppyWell Known MemberMember

I count them even if I have less than 10 fish in the tank just to make sure the betta's still there. :)

18. ivonkoValued MemberMember

i always check after putting in fish from the lfs, because 1. i want to double check that they gave me all the fish i wanted/paid for and 2. in case i have say 3 in the bag and only 2 end up in the tank i know something went wrong

but after like 2 days that they have been in the tank i more "notice" than count them, if a school seems to be thinning out then ill start counting. or if i have what i have now, 3 berried shrimp i will always count to make sure those 3 are present and accounted for.

19. AlanGreeneWell Known MemberMember

Glad to know I'm not alone!

20. LyleBWell Known MemberMember

I try to count all inhabitants each day. The only ones not cooperating presently are the pygmy corys. Since they have moved into the 29 gal. I rarely even see them, let alone can I find them all. They blend into the dark substrate and disappear.

I feel fairly confident if I find 4 or 5 scurrying around every other day or so. There should be six there total, but one has always been a bit of a loaner. I feel guilty about not being certain, and not being able to watch them for any signs of problems, but I've adopted the attitude that if they don't show up floating or stuck to the filter inlet, all is well. The only attitude I came up with to save my sanity in trying to find them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice