Question fish counting

AlanGreene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just realised the other day that when I look at my fish tank the first thing I do is count all the fish a few times to make sure they are all there, then I chill out and watch then swim for 10/15 minutes and then... I count them again to make sure they are all still there LOL! does anyone else so this??

Yeoy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do this quite often. It can be very hard depending on if you have fish that like to hide, inverts or quick-moving fish. Or fry. Counting fry is a nightmare!

JDcichlidlover

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm always looking for specific fish when I watch my tank, they all have their own quirks and sometimes I just want to check on one to see if he's getting bullied.

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I do the fish counting too. Yesterday morning got all worried because one was missing, but my seven year old found her hiding in the java moss.

hobo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes, I always count the fish every day it is hard with my Tiger barbs darting around as they do, usually always one short so I have to try to find the missing one and start over.
What is harder is trying to find all nine nerite snails, in a planted tank I am often missing one or two, sometimes searching for 10 minutes to spot them all. I used to have ten Nerites but I am sure I accidently threw one in the garbage it must have attached itself to a plant I pruned I did not notice it missing for a few days I was so mad at myself. Now all the cuttings goes into a bucket half full of tank water for a vigorous shaking to make sure there are none hiding in the plants

Last edited:

AlanGreene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thats sucks about your snail, it happens though don't beat yourself up too much!

fresh water

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes I count my school of cardinal tetras, But trying to count 22 cardinals in a 135 gallon tank sure is difficult, usally takes a few times and still not really sure if they are all there

JoannaB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
You know this thread reminds me: I once met a woman whose job it was to count the fish passing a dam on a river, I believe in Washington State. I think her job was funded by the government, and was to determine whether the fish population was endangered or something like that.

AlanGreene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I had a school project that was doing that! (more like child labour infringements by the government lol!) We also had to count cars on a motor way as they went by... Fun fun...

AlanGreene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
haha depends on how many you have I guess, look at home alone sure!!

Ziggi

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I count when the lights go on and before lights off It's obnoxious counting my Cory mob since they sit still then move when I'm not looking. I do a sweep and if I come up short, I start over until I can see all 8. NOT easy with a planted tank!!! The Gold Pristella Tetra are easier! "3 + 3 ... oh! done!"

psalm18.2

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Only when I set up an aquarium or transfer fish. I only look for certain ones now. I'm more relaxed once the tank is established.

beginner

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i dnt even know off hand how many mbuna's i have but i just watch them so much i can tell in two minutes they're all there

ivonko

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
i always check after putting in fish from the lfs, because 1. i want to double check that they gave me all the fish i wanted/paid for and 2. in case i have say 3 in the bag and only 2 end up in the tank i know something went wrong

but after like 2 days that they have been in the tank i more "notice" than count them, if a school seems to be thinning out then ill start counting. or if i have what i have now, 3 berried shrimp i will always count to make sure those 3 are present and accounted for.

LyleB

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I try to count all inhabitants each day. The only ones not cooperating presently are the pygmy corys. Since they have moved into the 29 gal. I rarely even see them, let alone can I find them all. They blend into the dark substrate and disappear.

I feel fairly confident if I find 4 or 5 scurrying around every other day or so. There should be six there total, but one has always been a bit of a loaner. I feel guilty about not being certain, and not being able to watch them for any signs of problems, but I've adopted the attitude that if they don't show up floating or stuck to the filter inlet, all is well. The only attitude I came up with to save my sanity in trying to find them.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom