Fish Coughing White Stuff

1. w

wannj New Member Member

fish are sick

I was told by my LFS that Ich Attack can not only kill ich, but can also help internal problems with my angel fish. his poop has been white while he is refusing still to eat. ive tried live black worm, frozen blood worms and flakes. blood worms being his fav in past. so is this information valid? if not, what is in expensive that can help my angel and possibly others in the tank with the internal problems while im treating for minor case of ich again!

2. A

Anita Vidgen Valued Member Member

Waterlife products are very good, Sterazin for parasites.

Sent from my iPad using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

4. OP
    OP
    w

wannj New Member Member

most recent reading is, ammonia, .25 ppm, nitrite .50 ppm maybe a bit lower, and nitrate is about 5.0 ppm, I am doing the best I can for the cycling, its tough to start I know sometimes, but I don't feel these are terribly bad like in the past

5. Rivieraneo

wannj, have you added any new fish since you started cycling your tank ? I agree that your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels aren't elevated to the point to cause immediate stress or toxicity, but you should strive to keep your ammonia and nitrite levels below .25PPM as long term exposure can cause stress thus lowering your fish's immunity. It's a balance between keeping not enough ammonia so not to cause harm or stress to your fish and enough to so not starve and multiply your beneficial bacteria colony. Did you test your PH? if so, could you please post this result.

Your fish's health and recovery starts with water quality. Please keep your levels below whats suggested and treat. Best of luck.

6. OP
    OP
    w

wannj New Member Member

7.4 to 7.6 is the pH, but I am unable to lower it effectively while keeping it there constantly

7. OP
    OP
    w

wannj New Member Member

hello, I've been treating my tank for a minor case of Ich, and also was told by the LFS that it could help my angel with the internal parasite he may have. he has white poop and will not eat. well two days into treatment, I've noticed him two times today look like he is coughing, I think. when this happens, he spits out something white into little tiny pieces, and then runs into side of tank. is this a good or bad sign?

pH 7.6 but stable
    Ammonia 0.25-0.50 ppm
    Nitrite 0.25 ppm
    Nitrate 5.0 ppm

this tank is only been up for nearly a month, and these levels aren't perfect, but I know they aren't terrible either.

8. Crissandra331

Crissandra331 Valued Member Member

Eh I'd consider those conditions pretty bad. Nitrite should always be at zero and when cycling a tank and is present a water change should be done promptly!

Ammonia is considered toxic to fish at 0.50 ppm

I would consider do large daily water changes while medicating because the medication is most likely going to kill off your BB
    I would work on getting the Ammonia and Nitrite down as soon as possible with a water change. Much easier when you coordinate your water changes when you dose meds. And from your profile it looks like you have some major stocking issues and that your also overstocked. 20 gallons is too small for any Angelfish. 3 clown loaches would require a tank of at least 100 Gallons. And if you only started cycling the tank July 8th, phew!

Rams are very sensitive too new aquariums, water fluctuations, they require very acidic aged aquarium water. I also wouldn't keep a betta with all of these fish, as its delicate fins can be ravished in a community, especially an elephant ear variety.

I would take the Angelfish and the Clown loaches back for sure, honestly I'd say take everything back cause I don't think the Rams will survive much longer =( Which leaves a pleco right? Plecos are scaleless and are much more sensitive to medication than other fish in the aquarium..

https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/CrueltyThruIgnorance.htm
    Freshen up on the Nitrogen Cycle,
    Enter your stock into www.aqadvisor.com

9. Rivieraneo

Threads merged, please use this thread so not to confuse members with multiple threads. Thanks.

10. OP
    OP
    w

wannj New Member Member

ok, well the place I bought them have a no return policy, second thing is that I do water changes weekly. I also need to update my list of fish soon. but the question is still about the angel spitting up white stuff. that's my main concern atm.

11. T

Teishokue Well Known Member Member

spitting stuff out is a very new symptom. as for not eating, i do suggest starving the fish for 2 days and feed the fish, food with garlic juice infused.

regular water changes. additional air stones help. and dechlorinators do help

as for ich attack: no, your source is incorrect. ich attack is for external parasites