Fish constantly look for food

shenchenhui

Hi I have one Glofish Tetra that is constantly looking for food. The others seem quite peaceful, but this one keeps pecking at the rock, different water plants, under the wood and moves around a lot looking for food, sometimes hassles the other fish. It is very agile, but looking at its mouth it seems it is constantly trying to chew something in the water (the same movement during feeding time behavior). Looks like it is hungry but I feed them regularly in the morning. All fishes are new: 3 were brought in 4 days ago, and another 3 (including this fish) is brought in 2 days ago. Not sure if I should be alarmed. Anyone knows what might be going on and what to check? Should I feed the fish more?

Btw, this fish is very good at finding food as well. It eats the pellet on the rocks not seen by other fish. It is slightly larger than the others and has a bigger belly (front-view belly less flat, cannot tell from side-view).
I attached photos and circled the fish of interest. Unfortunately cannot attach video to better show the behavior.

Attachments

• lADPGR5poByQhe3NA1LNAn4_638_850.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    lADPGR5poByQhe3NA1LNAn4_638_850.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 16
  • lADPGT5jE-eVnFLNA1LNAn4_638_850.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    lADPGT5jE-eVnFLNA1LNAn4_638_850.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 17
  • lADPGTAtGVRiC0rNA1LNAn4_638_850.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    lADPGTAtGVRiC0rNA1LNAn4_638_850.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 17
  • lADPGTrVlUKzYCzNAeTNAoY_646_484.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    lADPGTrVlUKzYCzNAeTNAoY_646_484.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 18

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Most fish tend to constantly look for food. In this specific case, your 'tetra' is actually a not a tetra. It is a tiger barb, which is why it acts so different from the rest.

If I am going to judge from the photos, I don't think you have any more of tiger bars, or the space to keep more. How large is the tank? I think my immediate concern is the lack of other tiger barbs since they really do like a group.

Flyfisha

Fishlore VIP
Hi shenxhenhui .
Welcome to fishlore.
Sorry you have this issue.
The shop assistant that sold you a tiger barb mixed in with tetras should have some serious training before being allowed to sell fish again. That really is a bad mistake.

The tiger barb is a schooling fish. The name tiger is given for a reason. While not all barbs ( cherry barbs) are aggressive fin nippers the tiger barb is a real trouble maker. It’s got to go . The shop should deal with this problem they made. I don’t care if they have a no return policy or not this fish should most definitely not have been sold without a school of its own kind. You may be out of pocket a little money sorry that’s just how it goes.

While it may be reasonably ok today with the other fish as it matures it will be a total nuisance.

No don’t feed more..
It picking a little algae off the rocks because it’s a little bit more of omnivorous / eats vegetables and protein than the tetras.

OP
S

shenchenhui

Hi, thanks so much for the help! I actually am not sure tell which fish are glofish tetras and which are not.
Because I purchased from the store where they sell these from the same tank and told me they are glofish tetras... Currently I suspect there are three groups of fish in my tank.

Really need more help here to identify and know if these fish should be kept together.

I did some searching online and i think the 6 fish I got are respectively:
1 tiger barb, 3 glofish tetra (orange, green, pink), 2 black dress tetra.
I attached photos of the fish, please help me confirm if these fishes are what I think they are:
1st photo circles one pink and one orange glofish tetra, 2nd photo circles the tiger barb, 3rd photo circles one green tetra and 2 black dress tetras.

Also, I noticed the black dress tetras are much more shy than the others, they hide in the grass a lot.
They also get bullied by the other tetras and the tiger barb.
The tiger barb seems most aggressive, followed by the green tetra (the two fight sometimes),
the black dress tetra are at the bottom of the food chain that gets bullied and rarely fight back, but they sometimes fight (slightly) amongst themselves for a hiding place.
One black dress tetra is particularly worrying, that at feeding time i think it doesn't dare to come out, and once it does the other fishes (gree tetra and tiger barb) chases it, and it barely have a chance to eat.

Do you think I should be returning the tiger barb? How about the black skirt tetras?

Thanks so much!
Most fish tend to constantly look for food. In this specific case, your 'tetra' is actually a not a tetra. It is a tiger barb, which is why it acts so different from the rest.

If I am going to judge from the photos, I don't think you have any more of tiger bars, or the space to keep more. How large is the tank? I think my immediate concern is the lack of other tiger barbs since they really do like a group.
The water space is about 8 gallons.

Attachments

• lADPGSH3HsLexifNAeTNAoY_646_484.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    lADPGSH3HsLexifNAeTNAoY_646_484.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 6
  • lADPGSWEnWeoUyHNAeTNAoY_646_484.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    lADPGSWEnWeoUyHNAeTNAoY_646_484.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 6
  • lADPGSyfmrEjGcjNAeTNAoY_646_484.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    lADPGSyfmrEjGcjNAeTNAoY_646_484.jpg_720x720g.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 6

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Hi, thanks so much for the help! I actually am not sure tell which fish are glofish tetras and which are not.
Because I purchased from the store where they sell these from the same tank and told me they are glofish tetras... Currently I suspect there are three groups of fish in my tank.

Really need more help here to identify and know if these fish should be kept together.

I did some searching online and i think the 6 fish I got are respectively:
1 tiger barb, 3 glofish tetra (orange, green, pink), 2 black dress tetra.
I attached photos of the fish, please help me confirm if these fishes are what I think they are:
1st photo circles one pink and one orange glofish tetra, 2nd photo circles the tiger barb, 3rd photo circles one green tetra and 2 black dress tetras.

Also, I noticed the black dress tetras are much more shy than the others, they hide in the grass a lot.
They also get bullied by the other tetras and the tiger barb.
The tiger barb seems most aggressive, followed by the green tetra (the two fight sometimes),
the black dress tetra are at the bottom of the food chain that gets bullied and rarely fight back, but they sometimes fight (slightly) amongst themselves for a hiding place.
One black dress tetra is particularly worrying, that at feeding time i think it doesn't dare to come out, and once it does the other fishes (gree tetra and tiger barb) chases it, and it barely have a chance to eat.

Do you think I should be returning the tiger barb? How about the black skirt tetras?

Thanks so much!

The water space is about 8 gallons.
I think the right way to go is to return all of them. Unfortunately 8 gallons is not sufficient to house a group of any of the fish you have, they will require at the bare minimum 20 gallons.

OP
S

shenchenhui

I think the right way to go is to return all of them. Unfortunately 8 gallons is not sufficient to house a group of any of the fish you have, they will require at the bare minimum 20 gallons.
Hi so for the capacity that I have, what fish would you recommend that I can host in my aquarium?
I am looking for tropical freshwater fish in particular.
Thanks!

Flyfisha

Fishlore VIP
Hi again.
A delayed reply from me. Sorry that’s kind of how this site goes sometimes. I was out driving.

I am in agreement with FinalFins on returning all the species you have. None can be in a big enough school in that tank. Mixing species to make a group is not ideal in any tank and a bad idea in a small (20 gallon) . It’s not going to work long term in an 8 gallon.
I have lived ( kept ) with black skirt tetras and found them to be a little nippy even in a group of 15 in a 40 gallon . Not as outright aggressive as tigers but not peaceful.

One possible suggestion for a small school in an 8 gallon would be ember tetras?

OP
S

shenchenhui

Hi again.
A delayed reply from me. Sorry that’s kind of how this site goes sometimes. I was out driving.

I am in agreement with FinalFins on returning all the species you have. None can be in a big enough school in that tank. Mixing species to make a group is not ideal in any tank and a bad idea in a small (20 gallon) . It’s not going to work long term in an 8 gallon.
I have lived ( kept ) with black skirt tetras and found them to be a little nippy even in a group of 15 in a 40 gallon . Not as outright aggressive as tigers but not peaceful.

One possible suggestion for a small school in an 8 gallon would be ember tetras?
How many ember tetras would you recommend? Will 6 be a good number?

FinalFins

Fishlore VIP
Hi so for the capacity that I have, what fish would you recommend that I can host in my aquarium?
I am looking for tropical freshwater fish in particular.
Thanks!
A betta is a fairly easy and non intensive fish that you could easily house in your tank.

Flyfisha

Fishlore VIP
Six is an absolute minimum. 8 is a better number for a small school/ group.

30 litres is a size I am familiar with.

image.jpg
These embers are not in that sized tank .

image.jpg
And nor is this tank of embers.

image.jpg
The fish police will comment on stocking levels if I tell you to have more than 8 embers in an 8 gallon.
The bottom two tanks on the right are only 20 litres. What I can say is the smaller a tank is the more important it becomes to keep up with regular water changes and not to over feed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• AllieSten
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
AllieSten
Replies
Views
Silverleaf209
Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids

Random Great Page!

Did You Know...

There are products you can use to reduce nitrates? CindiL has a review of several nitrate reducing products here:
Review of Nitrate Reducers

Aquarium Calculator

Desktop
Top Bottom