Fish Constantly Getting Sick Help

1. Nofaultofmine

Nofaultofmine New Member Member

Please help. I have an 182l tank which currently houses 6 danios, 1 very large shubunkin a comet and 2 small fan tails. My issue is they are constantly getting sick. I was cleaning the tank once a week replacing 30% water but was told that was too much now I only replace 20% once every 2 weeks...

My fish seem to get sick one right after the other constantly since I got this tank... is it something I'm doing wrong? I run a test kit each week too and my nitrate and ammonia levels etc are fine... please help I cant keep quarantining fish or adding salt every week...

I only had these issues when I upgraded my aquarium never before with my old tank.

Attached Files:

2. Little fry babies

Little fry babies Valued Member Member

3. mattgirl

mattgirl Fishlore VIP Member

I hate to say it but someone gave you some very bad advice. Goldfish are very messy. Your at least 30% weekly water changes were about right. You can actually let your tests help you decide on how much water and how often you need to do a water change.

You say your ammonia and nitrates are fine. Does that mean 0 ammonia and nitrates below at the most 40. Most folks try to keep them at or below 20.

4. OP
    OP
    Nofaultofmine

I was doing the 30% changes once a week until 2 weeks ago but they were always sick then as well... and yes 0 ammonia and nitrate was just below 20 I think...

5. mattgirl

Were you adding salt to the old tank? Did you buy this tank new or used? Hopefully we can get to the bottom as to why they are getting sick in this tank but not in the original one.

6. Wystearya

Wystearya Valued Member Member

I can't tell, but you may be overstocked.

Goldfish produce a *lot* of waste.

You should probably do at least 50% weekly water changes, and more than likely closer to 75% if you want the water nice and clean.

This should hopefully help your fish get healthy again!

7. OP
    OP
    Nofaultofmine

Tank was new and I only add salt when the fish show signs of sickness... I get the feeling I may need to re hone my biggest fish to a pond but I might try 50% water changes once a week to see if it helps! It's just crazy they barely got sick and my old tank was almost half the size...

8. BringKermitBack

BringKermitBack Well Known Member Member

Yep, 182 litres is a little small for any single tailed goldfish, though you could keep fancy ones in there.

9. mattgirl

I know it is a hard thing to do but for the sake of the rest of the fish the biggest one may need to be rehomed. I never give that advice out without good reason. I know it isn't an easy thing to do. I had to rehome my pleco when he got too big for my tank. I hated to have to do it but I knew it was necessary.

10. Little fry babies

I just dont get why people cannot buy bigger tanks. I hate when people tell le o should or have to do something . Lol. So i just buy a bigger tank .

11. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

Is there a filter on this tank? Cant tell from the picture. If there is, what size is it?

12. OP
    OP
    Nofaultofmine

This was a bigger tank than my previous and I basically can't get any bigger than this buying commercially or I'd buy one... Its double the size of my previous tank which my fish were never sick in....

It has a filter which came with the tank so it pumps the required amount of water i think it can do more even and I change the carbon cartridge regularly.

13. Little fry babies

I understand. I am jist not a fan of people telling others they should or have to get rid of their pets. Sorry thats just me. Im sorry.

14. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I think the reason is spacing and the cost of a bigger tank. When we think of 10g a lot of people think that’s really or already big enough.

Obviously a bigger tank is more work and bigger equipment.

Not everybody has the space, time or resources get a bigger tank.

15. Little fry babies

Yup. Got it.

16. mattgirl

If you were replying to my post about rehoming you will notice that I suggest it as a last resort. In this case the biggest goldfish in this tank will eventually need a very large pond and could very well be the reason all the tank mates are getting sick. I don't give this advice lightly or without good reason.

I used my much loved Pleco as an example. He is now living out his life in a HUGE man made above ground pond. He could grow to 2 feet long and would still seem like a minnow in this pond. Sometimes rehoming is the right thing to do.

17. Little fry babies

Thats true. That's why i research the fish i am getting with the tank o habe before purchasing .Its best to research everything there is to know about fish before buying them .But then again all fish are different and not all get to be the same size in the same species .Some stunt, some grow some grow bigger than the average. Kind of like people .so I understand what you mean. Its hard to rehome pets. Its unfortunate but i get that it has to be done if its necessary.