Fish Congregating At Bottom Owner Of Tank?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by faithapaul1, Apr 15, 2018.

1. f

faithapaul1 New Member Member

Hi everyone,
    So all my mollies are huddled together at the bottom corner of my tank. They are moving around and seem lively, not actually touching the ground, and seem healthy and happy. It’s just weird that they’re all down there.

My platies are moving around, but my swordtail is down there with them. No red gills, fins are up, just practically on top of one another. They’re hungry as ever and start swimming around the tank like crazy when I approach as usual.

My tank is semi planted, 46 gallons and has five mollies, one swordtail, three platies, two algae eaters, 6 kuhli loaches and one ghost a shrimp.

I turned on the bubbler which I forgot to do this morning. The water level is extremely high to minimize noise, so I usually turn it on to stir the water a bit.

Took parameters a few days ago because one Molly was shimmying. Aside from ph being low everything else was great!

Temp is at 83 F.

Any ideas?

2. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I've learned that livebearers are insane and there's nothing you can do about it. I had a balloon molly (profile pic) that would repeatedly slam himself into the glass. I honestly think he was brain dead.

3. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Temp is kinda too high, no? They could be crowding in the coolest spot... How far is it from the heater?

4. OP
    OP
    f

Oddly right over them! The tank is located by a window and it’s relatively cold today but they’re on the far side, away from the window and towards the heater! Some people say it’s too high, others say it’s just fine. I haven’t had any problems with it.

5. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Well, it seems like you're having one now. :p

Interesting! Maybe under the source of heat is cooler than around it? Hot rises, cold sinks? Hmm. Can't stop thinking that the heater is involved somehow. I would move it and see if they're under it again in a few hours.

6. M

Mr.Mang09 Valued Member Member

I would just gradually turn the heater down to 78, no need for it to Be so high.

7. OP
    OP
    f

That’s a great idea! Thank you! Will do and keep you updated!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice